I may be in serious trouble, help needed...

Todd1225Todd1225 Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
All, I haven't posted on the board for awhile, but I feel that I really need some answers on a situation that I'm going through.

This may be long, so bear with me....

About a year ago, I asked to rearrange my schedule at work so that I may attend a local college for Cisco training. Now, I drive 60 miles to work one way, and would be traveling back home to attend school. So, my boss was very cool and let me off early two days to attend school. So, a year passes, I get my CCNA and developing a new career is looking good. (Right now I do mindless internet support, I want to be on a internal Helpdesk)

So now, a year later I have a new Boss, a situation arises and they look at my schedule, the new boss gets angry because she feels she wasn't informed of my latest schedule change. (Being off of school a day or two, I didn't wanna change my work schedule around 3 times in 2 weeks so I kept it the same to avoid confusion). I figured it would be easier this way...well, it wasn't, the new boss was extremely pissed that I did it.

To make a long story somewhat short, the new boss may not let me attend school. I drive 60 miles to get here, and I cannot afford to pay out of pocket to go to school (state grant pays for me), I don't have much money and I'm already stretched too thin on time. I guess what I'm asking is this, can I complete my MCSA and A+ certification on my own. If I can't work this out, it's my only choice.

My back is up hard against the wall guys, need some serious advice.

Thanks a million!!

Todd
Todd Baugh
Aspiring Network Tech

Comments

• viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear what your situation is right now. It's a hard situation to be in. Is there a way you can talk to your new boss to let you keep the same schedule as you did before??? Can you make up somehow for the time that you take off at work for going to school??? I've kind of been in the same situation years ago, but my boss worked with me. I had to make up for the time I took off. If I were you I would try to sit down and talk to your boss I'm pretty sure you two can come to an agreement. Good Luck!!! and post back I'm curious to see what happens.
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • Todd1225Todd1225 Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, it really is a tough position. And I should have mentioned that I was making up my time for leaving early on those two days. I can't help but have hard feelings about my boss in this situation, instead of saying let's get together about school and iron some things out so it's a little better for work coverage, she just dropped the bomb and said "that's it for you!". I know we must cover work, but my 3 hours off early isn't affecting out work as much as people just not working like they should.

I know that everyone has their own troubles, but this could almost make or break my IT career. If I could get a job closer to where I ultimately want to be it wouldn't be an issue. My current job is just so simple, most of it's not really technical related. I've been doing it for 4 years, and i've really been busting my hump to improve my situation...I didn't want it to end like this.

Yeah, it's just a bad situation, and I was already struggling with my whole position anyway, I didn't need this. I know that nobody is completely happy with their job, but at some points it was ruining my life, I took my frustation out on my wife, all sorts of bad things. For a good while, I have been really unhappy with the situation that I'm in, I've been working really hard to improve it, but at some times it's overwhelming.

Frustrated in Atlanta....
    Todd Baugh
    Aspiring Network Tech
    Yeah man we all go through rough situations at work which effects our home lives. I know 1st hand I lost a girl friend because of it years ago. Anyway I don't think this will make or break your career at all it will just put a bump on the road for you which you will over come just like we all have done here. I'm pretty sure every one here has gone through some sort of struggle with work. This past summer my job was on the line long story to even get into it, but I over came that situation. Thank God!!!

If your boss does not let you take the time off and is not understanding of your situation then I think my friend is time for you to start looking a little harder for a job closer to where your studies are. I work Mon-Fri 8am-5pm. I attend night College Tues.-Thurs. 6pm-8:30pm. I'm very furtunate that I live, work and attend school basically in the same area 15-20 mile range or so.

From what I have experienced if a boss does not let you attend your studies that means your boss is afraid that you'll be looking for a better job as soon as you finish your studies. In other words your boss is trying to hold you back. Stick it out as much as you can and when you feel that you can't no more make your choice. I highly recommend that you stick to your studies and finish, when you're done it will be a very rewarding feeling knowing that you went through a tough time trying to finish and you did plus you will have a Degree or Certification which will always make your resume look better and it will make you feel good and confident. Good Luck!!! :)
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    Thanks for taking time to look over my situation. I really enjoy the Microsoft networking/OS side of things and look forward to finishing the cert.

I really don't know how to describe my boss, I work for a very, very large and successful company in Atlanta. I basically support a website and a couple of our applications. I don't know why she is so tough on us, we are all good at what we do, we are good people. I dont' know why we have so much difficulty out of her. Over the past 2 years, they have shrunken our call center, we were slightly overstaffed before, but through people quitting/transferring, we are not actually understaffed, but we are working much harder and supporting 3X as many end users.

She is upper class compared to us and comes from a different background, I hate to sound weird...but she really is a mean person. I hate to say that, but sometimes it's just true.

I've been looking for another position for about 5 months, and because I don't want another 100% phone position supporting proprietary apps, the search for internal help desk has been difficult.

Yeah, I began getting very frustrated with the job about a year and a half in, we got a new boss and the environment totally changed. I already felt backed into a corner...
    Todd Baugh
    Aspiring Network Tech
    I guess I kinda got away from the question...do you think I can complete MCSA and A+ on my own with the proper equipment, software, and hard work?

Like you said, my situation gives me motivation to get out and improve...that's true, but when my friend told me it gave me more motivation, I told him that "I have enough damnit!"....

Thanks again, Viper75
    Todd Baugh
    Aspiring Network Tech
  • pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    Depends on your willingness..
    I did it.. took me longer than i wanted, but it is just because of my lack of initiative.. Get yourself some books and start reading. When you finish with the book, get test software and keep taking practice tests till you score good. Then go take the test.
    I have found that i can read a whole book in one/two weeks, and practice tests in a weekend and be pretty confident that I can pass the test. No fails so far.. But the most important thing is.. Keep working on it!! Dont get lazy..
    Xinxing is the hairy one.
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    It appears that you have some experience and a couple of good certs. I would say that you shouln't have any trouble going it on your own.

A+ should round out your knowledge and set you up for MCSA. If you have the OSs and a little equipment to practice networking, you should do well.

Best of luck.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    With that nt mcse, you should have enough electives for your mcsa. Just take 210,215,218, and its yours.
    Xinxing is the hairy one.
    I definetly think you can do it on your own. It might take you a little longer, but I haven't heard of an employeer asking anyone how long it took them to get their Cert(s) as long as you have it (them) that's all that matters. All you need is a little disapline. If you're going for the A+ cert. it would be very deneficial to you to get your hands on an old PC and play with it, break it, fix it, take it apart, and put it back together. Books are good, but I think having the hands on experience will help you understand your reading more. I can't really answer for the MS. Certs. because I'm gearing more towards Cisco.
    There is a wealth of resources on the net to help you with the Certs. you plan on having. This site is VERY helpful!!!

Hope all works out for you!!!
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    Ok, I talked with my boss, everything is cool for next quarter. But she will have to evaluate the time after that to see if I can still go. I understand the "my schedule vs. work coverage" deal, but we have been at this staffing level for 3-6 months, and my schedule was approved twice during that period.

Looks like I'm safe for now...time to kick some Win2k Server butt!!!
    Todd Baugh
    Aspiring Network Tech
    "You know...there's people that don't have to put up with this ****"....
    "Like the guy that invented the pet rock, see that's what you gotta do, use your mind to come of with something really great idea like that and make millions."

-- Office Space
    Todd Baugh
    Aspiring Network Tech