intimidated - passed today!

dubbs112dubbs112 Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have been studying for this test off an on for about a month now. I really started applying myself in about the last week, but I just took one of the transcender practice tests and did terrible!

I have study all the cbts and I am about half way through the microsoft book but it seems like the answers are just out of my grasp. Any one else currently studying for this exam or taken it recently that could give me some tips?

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    The Transcenders are usually a bit harder than the real thing, but they also usually do give a good indication. What other study material are you using? Do you have Windows 2000 server setup at home? Since this is an older exam, there is a lot of free stuff available online. Check out the sites on our Microsoft links page for example:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/mslinks.shtml
  • topdollaprotopdollapro Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey dubbs112,

This exam focuses on permissions, hardware configuration, RAID, and AD. This exam I refered to three books for studying and passed with a 880, so if you have good reading material and a server to work on atleast two you should do good.

Work on your RAID configuration as my exam had several questions related to that.
    Life's to short so get all the certs you can
  • TregTreg Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Dont mean to put you off, but if your just starting down the MCSA > MCSE track, you should really concentrate on the 2003 track.

2000 is on the road to becoming an End of life product, additionally it may impair your skills as both systems are alot different. There are upgrade exams, but why do the extra work.

Additionally, Longhorn is not too far off.

Check this topic too : http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22192
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Treg wrote:
    Dont mean to put you off, but if your just starting down the MCSA > MCSE track, you should really concentrate on the 2003 track.

2000 is on the road to becoming an End of life product, additionally it may impair your skills as both systems are alot different. There are upgrade exams, but why do the extra work.

Additionally, Longhorn is not too far off.

Check this topic too : http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22192

Your suggestion might be right for him but if he is like me works in an office that is on a 2000 domain then it makes sense to get the 2000 MCSE and upgrade it later.

dubbs112: I found this exam to be easier than some of the practice tests I had taken. Like you I was scared of taking the exam because I was not doing so hot on the practice tests.

One technique that has worked for me is to take all the wrong questions/answers in a practice test and copy them to a word document. Research the correct answer then add the explanation in your own words below the question/answer.

I usually have a few pages using the above technique before test day that I can skim through and remind myself of some of the points I had missed before.
  • dubbs112dubbs112 Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I thank everyone who responded with advice. Megadeth is right on my situation I work in a server 2000 environment, so my employer is pushing me toward the mcsa for 2000 first.

I have taken the tests on this site and mcmcse and found them significantly easier than the transcenders. I picked up another book to study my weak areas from the practice test it is an all in one book for the 210/215/218 and so far I like the way things are explained a little better than the MS book.

I feel that a couple more weeks of reading and hitting the transcenders again I will be ready. I have set a goal to have the 215 done by the end of the month.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The Transcender exams are consistently harder than the real exam, which is why I love them. The flashcards often make the exams seem easier. Don't be afraid to take the practice exams repeatedly. Sure it's true that at some point it will stop becoming an accurate indicated of how you'll do on the exam since you'll start seeing the same questions over and over, but as long as you can explain why that answer is correct (as opposed to simply using memorization), you'll increase your knowledge and reinforce the material. Just take your time. Something that seems beyond your grasp will be much more manageable after another week or two of studying.
  • dubbs112dubbs112 Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There was a very broad range of questions on this test. I passed with a 745.

Now on to the 70-218 before the end of May hopefully.

I appreciate all the comments and feedback it really does make a world of difference when preparing![/u]
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif

Good luck on the 218!
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congratulations for passing!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki