Options

Outlook Web Access

mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
Does anyone know of a way to archive emails using Outlook Web Access? I have users who only use OWA and they're constantly reaching the quota for inbox space. Since they're not using Outlook, they can't archive. I know you can save the messages on the local harddrive, but if you delete them from the inbox, you can't view the messages anymore. Anyone have a solution or work around for me?

THanks in advance.
Working on Linux+

Comments

• Options
    CessationCessation Member Posts: 326
    mrhaun03 wrote:
    Does anyone know of a way to archive emails using Outlook Web Access? I have users who only use OWA and they're constantly reaching the quota for inbox space. Since they're not using Outlook, they can't archive. I know you can save the messages on the local harddrive, but if you delete them from the inbox, you can't view the messages anymore. Anyone have a solution or work around for me?

THanks in advance.

We have OWA at work too.
    Only thing I can think of is if they wanted to print to file or PDF if they have a full version of adobe pdf.
    GL
    A+, MCP(270,290), CCNA 2008.
    Working back on my CCNA and then possibly CCNP.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I heard of one company that created "public" folders for the individuals and restricted access to the individual. This solved the problem of the priv.edb file getting too large, but doesn't solve a disk space issue. So it depends on why you need to use the quotas.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    sprkymrk wrote:
    I heard of one company that created "public" folders for the individuals and restricted access to the individual. This solved the problem of the priv.edb file getting too large, but doesn't solve a disk space issue. So it depends on why you need to use the quotas.

The quota is set at 350MB, which everyone else in the company is ok with...meaning they rarely exceed the limit. Maybe because they're in-house and can archive. In our one field office all the users NEED every single email they've ever sent/received...at least that's what they tell me. If we didn't put a limit on the inbox size, I think our Exchange Server would explode. But thanks for the replies...I'll give the public folders option a try.
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    sprky,

what is the priv.edb file? is that on the exchange server for each specified user?
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The priv.edb is a rich-text database file that MAPI clients use to store data. It is one of the two database files used on Exchange. There is no individual edb file per each user. From a simplistic standpoint, you will have 1 storage group with 1 mailbox store (store is a database) that will contain many mailboxes for your users. You can of course have multiple stores (edb databases) that will store different mailboxes.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    mrhaun03 wrote:
    sprky,

what is the priv.edb file? is that on the exchange server for each specified user?

Like icroyal said, it is the mailbox store. The functional limit for Exchange Server standard edition is 16GB. I think the same 16GB limit applies to the pub.edb (public folders) but don't remember off the top of my head. I do know it's easy to create multiple pub.edb (public folder db's).

Another option would be to let the field office connect via pop3 or imap, although that does come with other disadvantages.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mark, you're correct in thinking that it's when the actual edb file reaches the 16GB mark. Also, if you are running Sp2 for Exchange 2003, there is a new 75GB limit per each edb file. All you have to do is use a simple registry hack here. That's one of the nice things about Exchange 2007, there are no database size limits on either standard or enterprise.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    sprkymrk wrote:
    mrhaun03 wrote:
    sprky,

Like icroyal said, it is the mailbox store. The functional limit for Exchange Server standard edition is 16GB. I think the same 16GB limit applies to the pub.edb (public folders) but don't remember off the top of my head. I do know it's easy to create multiple pub.edb (public folder db's).

Another option would be to let the field office connect via pop3 or imap, although that does come with other disadvantages.

Yes, I was aware of the 16GB limit, and we do have SP2 installed now. I was going to configure Outlook to connect through RPC, but the field office is not our network. It belongs to another company that we're working with. They won't allow us to do anything. Connecting Outlook through HTTPS over RPC isn't much different then using web address...it would just provide more functionality.
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    Excellent info icroyal.

We will finally be moving to E2K3 in the next couple months, so far we're still stuck on 5.5. I know, I know.... icon_rolleyes.gif

What do you expect, this is the Army after all.
  • Options
    So, temporarily we increased the mailbox limit. I've been doing some searching and found a product http://www.zantaz.com/products/lotus-notes-archiving.php which allows OWA users to archive their email...got the idea from here https://ncs.mc.vanderbilt.edu/EM001/EM309.asp I only need something for about 30 users, but the company requires that you have 5,000 end-users.

Has anyone seen other types of mail archivers and can make some recommendations?
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    dubbs112dubbs112 Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mrhaun03 -

I have actually been looking at something similar lately. What you could do is setup a contact in the AD and create a gmail account for all your out of house users and forward their email there. Gmail offers free POP forwarding that they could pull into outlook on their pcs. Then they could archive all the emails on there local HD in personal folders.

I believe that when using a contact you have the option to deliver the mail to the contact, the exchange inbox or both so you could just send the mail to the contact only and not worry about space on your server.