Into the belly of the beast!!

SetotekSetotek Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
Im new to posting so please disregard anything that I may have violated in.
I just took the 70-291 exam yesterday. Failed with a 530. I thought I knew the material but I guess not. I didnt do well in Name Resolution, Maintaining Infrastructure, and Security which is the bulk of the exam. I did pretty well on RRAS and IP Addressing. As you can see, the BULK was in DNS.

The study material I used for MS Press 2nd Edition, Transcenders, and CBT. I thought having all these resources would help me passed the exam. I recently set up a LAN with 2 DC's to help me with DNS.

Is there anything else that I can use to help me prepare better for the exam in the next few weeks? Am I missing another book or a key guide? I guess I just have to study harder in the places where I didnt do well.

I already passed the 270 and 290 exams. Any help would be great. I used this site as well to get an insider's look to what the exam was really about so thanks to everyone who chipped in.

Regards,
Setotek

Comments

• royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Welcome to the site. Personally, I would go re-read the book. It will help things sink in as you read them again. While you're reading, perhaps change the method of which you study. For instance, this is what I do to study:

The method I use to study:
    1. Get my feet wet with CBT Nuggets even if I don't know the topic.
    2. Begin reading my main book
    3. While reading, I will use sticky notes and use them as a bookmark when I want to review information that spans >1 page. If the information is a paragraph or so, I will summarize it into my own words and write it into a notebook.
    4. Every so often, even while I'm reading, I will go back to my notebook and read what is in there.
    5. I will always do the chapter questions. If I get something wrong, I make sure I understand why, and if needed, I will go back and review that information. I also try to understand why the wrong answers were incorrect.
    6. I then finish the book and then use either an e-book or use a hardcover to review information.
    7. I then review any CBT Nuggets when I want some extra clarification.
    8. I then use a practice exam package such as Transcenders which tests me on my readiness. I'll warn you though, do not use this unless you feel you are completely ready. After the 1st usage, you have many of the questions/answers in your head which won't properly test your readiness your second time around.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • SetotekSetotek Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info. I will take that into consideration and find another method for the info to stick in my head.

Just to let everybody know that WSUS/ SUS is tested on. I had about 8 good questions on it. Had 1 or 2 questions on RRAS and a few on IPSEC/ VPN. Had 2 Sims and a few drag and drops. Overall, exam was quite challenging, so as everone else says "Be Prepared". KNOW DNS inside out...I cant stress that enough.

Thanks again icroyal for the tips. Much appreciated. Will let you know in a few weeks how i do on the 2nd attempt.

Regards,
    Setotek
  • jimmyp83jimmyp83 Member Posts: 18 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey man goodluck! did you take it yet?
    Didnt take it yet but i will in about 2 weeks. Just finished going over DNS. I didnt do so well in Network security too so Im starting on that this week.
    Just wanted to let you all know that after a month of hard core studying after failing it the first tim with a 530, I was able to achieve a 700!! On the money...hahaha

Now I am going for the 70-299 exam and to finally get my MCSA. I also plan on taking the rest for my MCSE when the time comes.

ICRoyal...thanks for the response. It really helped. Feel free to ask questions about the exam and I will do my best to help without giving away any exam info.

P.S.
    I hope the forum for 70-299 is just as good as this one!!
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congrats
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • doom969doom969 Member Posts: 304
    Congrats !
    Doom969
    MCITP (EST - EA ) - MCT
    A+ - IBM - SBSS2K3 - CISCO_SMB
    CompTIA : A+
  • 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! As for you hoping the 70-299 forum is as helpful, it definitely is. You'll find all of the separate forums here to be very helpful. Don't hesitate to ask a question if you need some help. :)
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks