855!!!

OkipatrickOkipatrick Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

I passed Core this morning with a whopping 855! Want to say thanks to everyone who contributed to technotes on this site as they were supremely instrumental in my success. icon_thumright.gif

If you're going to take this exam and need a last-minute cram, review the networking technote from this site.

Without violating the NDA or just being a general bad guy, here are some of the things that surprised me about the exam today:
    I needed to know # of pins in a cpu socket which I was able to narrow down and guess right. More to do about printers than I thought, and not limited to laser, inkjet and dot matrix. Read up on thermal, dye sublimination and wax too. Absolutely nothing about modems. Was probably my draw. A lot, lot, lot about CPUs that are Celeron/PII and newer including AMD XP+ series. A good number of questions about connectors. Seemed to be focused on client-side and basic network troubleshooting Know address ranges for TCP/IP. some SCSI but not a lot. a touch on memory addresses.

Also I was quite furious that one of the questions on address/IRQ default values was quite simple and yet the correct answer was not one of the choices. I'm going to take it up with CompTIA.

But I passed. :D On to OS probably near the end of next week!

Thanks again to all.
Oki[/b]

Comments

• GhentGhent Member Posts: 310
    Congratz.
    Prais'd be the fathomless universe, for life and joy, and for objects and knowledge curious.' Whalt Whitman
  • Carson_MageCarson_Mage Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Very good score, congrats.
  • viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratz!!!!

Good luck with OS!!!
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • STexamsSTexams Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on passing, that was an excellent score. Thanks for pointing out the kind of material you encountered, that will make it easier for others to target their studies.
    Freddy
    Free Online Exams and Tutorials
    http://www.stexams.com
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Excellent!! Congratulations.

Best of luck for the next one.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • carolinacarolina Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Doesn't it feel good to pass! Good luck on your next exam!

Carolina
    icon_lol.gif
    Carolina
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A hearty congrats icon_thumright.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
    If you don't mind me asking icon_redface.gif , How long did you study for? what books? Transcenders?? Do you have previous PC repair experience? I'm studying for that exam myself, I'm using the MS Press book "Faster, Smarter A+ Certification", not sure how good of a book it is icon_rolleyes.gif for the exam but it seems informative to me.

D-boy
  • OkipatrickOkipatrick Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I studied hardcore for about 10 days out of the Thomson paperback "A+ in depth" and I was really not fond of that book because I feel like it wasn't delivering the information in a concise matter. I've skimmed the Mike Myers "A+ Passport" and it seems to do just as good in 1/10th the pages.

Honestly, I good notes for in-the-parking-lot-before-the-exam from the Technotes on this site. I sincerely wish the OS ones were as plentiful but I do like the ones that are there.

I've always been a computer junkie ever since my first Commodore 64. But actual experience with tinkering in modern times (AT and ATX times, I mean) I'd say I've been doing off and on for the past 4 or 5 years.
  • GoodhopeGoodhope Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! for A+Hardware seems to easy but I did twice and A+OS it took me nearly 4weeks to study by myself with Sybex books and i passed the A+OS on the first shoot icon_twisted.gif