QoS traffic generator

loboernestoloboernesto Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I am reading on QoS at the moment and I am trying to test some congestion management configuration. For this I have set up 3 PCs conneted to a switch (2950-48EI), but I have other switches in case I want to test some CoS with 802.1p.
I was thinking how to get my pcs to send IP packets with ip precedence or dscp values, or frames with CoS values.

Is there any software out there that I can use to send this kind of traffic? has anyone tried something like this?

Thanks in advance.

cheers.

Comments

• EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Install dynamips on a pc,connect the pc nic to the switch and use a router in dynamips to modify the precedence.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi all,

I am reading on QoS at the moment and I am trying to test some congestion management configuration. For this I have set up 3 PCs conneted to a switch (2950-48EI), but I have other switches in case I want to test some CoS with 802.1p.
    I was thinking how to get my pcs to send IP packets with ip precedence or dscp values, or frames with CoS values.

Is there any software out there that I can use to send this kind of traffic? has anyone tried something like this?

Thanks in advance.

cheers.

play a movie via remote media server like MS Windows streaming server.
    or netmeeting,or a dummy web server application that provide mpeg/avi movie etc.
    with 1 server -- and accessed by 2 or more clients -- you should see how the media player play the movie -- check the jitter etc.

cheers.
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • loboernestoloboernesto Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I found a traffic generator in the internet (Ip traffic - Test & Measure") that seems to do just what I need.

Thanks for the replies, I may try those out too if this doesn't work.

Cheers