Lab excercises/scenarios once you have assembled a home lab?

buulambuulam Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys - what is everyone using for lab scenario's? Are you making them up on your own?

I've pieced together my home lab over the past year in anticipation of when I'll have time to do my CCNP. I was looking at this book: http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1587200546&rl=1 for some labs to get me started but its for the old exam so do you think it's still worth investing the money into? Are there any free lab exercises out there? or perhaps an update to the book coming out?

I was hoping to get ahold of something like that book to get me started and make sure I'm covering all the main points. After running through them I'll build some scenario's on my own to brush up on my weak points.

Thanks!
Currently working on:
CCNP (BCMSN, ONT, ISCW completed)
HP ASE ProCurve Networking (BPRAN, Security completed)

Comments

• Ferret999Ferret999 Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have this book and it is very good although you do need quite a few routers. From what I can see the new CCNP just has some extra material like IP6 and multicast so most of the material in this book is still relevant. The other option if you want simple labs is Trainsignal or if you do not want the videos but still want the labs and study notes then get the Bryant advantage as it is the same stuff minus the vidoes and I have also found that quite helpful.

It is alright building a fancy home network but as you say sometimes you just need some direction to help you get started.
  • -prophet--prophet- Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I second the Bryant Advantage. I am currently using the BSCI Lab Workbook and find it extremely thorough and interesting.

Cheers,
    Prophet
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Well I second, third, and fourth your avatar. It's better than any I've seen thus far.
  • buulambuulam Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ferret999 wrote:
    I have this book and it is very good although you do need quite a few routers.

Thanks for the info - how many is "quite a few routers"?
    Currently working on:
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    IPExpert is still offering their free eScenarios.... a lot of them in the R&S track are still good to study for the CCNP.

Plus the "Video Solutions" now appear to also be free!
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    Free is good! I'll check it out - thx
    Currently working on:
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A problem I've come into regarding lab training is the fact that I don't have anyone to really mess up my configuration so that I can troubleshoot out of a problem. I learn the best when I have a running configuration and someone changes a few settings, and I have to work to resolve the problem. Simply doing a lab from a book doesn't seem to help me too much icon_sad.gif
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
    Okay I have had a quick look through the book and most labs seem to use arround 4 routers although some go up to 8. You do not neccessarily need 8 as you could put multiple loopbacks on one router to simulate multiple networks.

As for the Bryant advantage and Trainsignal remember you also get some rack time included in this and although it is not the most modern lab it is good enough to do 95% of the stuff in the CCNP
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=138406#138406

Just adding an answer to my own thread =)

I got the video mentor, looks cool but its doesn't look like it has nearly enough material. Perhaps why it is far cheaper than the other instructional videos out there. Interested in hearing others opinions.
    Currently working on:
    Buulam,

I have also have the video mentor and I can confirm that I am of the same opinion as you. I have watched the BSCI videos and they do not really give you that much. I have not got to the other videos yet but they may be more useful as I do not have any kit for IP telephoney and the other labs.

The only reason I purchased the video was because I got a 40% discount still had to pay International shipping though icon_evil.gif