Back from interview (Sigh)

ITNYCITNYC Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
Well, I went to the interview this morning and met with three guys when i was scheduled to meet with only two guys. Since this position deals with stress (Trading floor) they came at me with attitudes. The first guy was alright, keeping eye contact asking questions, Some questions i answered he was nodding his head as to say good answer. Once he left, i had a one on one interview with the head IT guy, he was asking me technical questions and every answer i gave, he would say "thats the answer i was looking for" but while i was talking, he would play with his Phone, acting as if hes not interested in what i was saying, Finally gave me a laptop to figure out what was wrong with it, took me 1 minute to figure it out. afterwards, he joked a bit and he left then entered the head guy of everything... He was not paying ANY attention to what i was saying.. His phone ringing, Looking at his phone and turning his back.. We had some convo, Asked him some questions as well. Once it was done, we shook hands, told me he will be keeping in touch and asked me for a copy of my resume. That was it. Ive never been to an interview like this. Oh well..... see what happenes. Interview went ok but could of went a bit better. anybody deal with this kind of interview?

Comments

• initialdinitiald Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Since this position deals with stress (Trading floor).....

Hhmm....I have an inteview like this in Tokyo in about 6 hours. icon_wink.gif
    I'll let you know how it goes. . .
    Regg'

"Life without knowledge is death in disguise."
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Oh well, don't let it get to you. I went to an interview once and afterwards the guy actually commented on how I dressed and told me what I did wrong during the interview and how to improve, since it was apparent that I didn't get the job. It was pretty embarrassing, but I was glad he mentioned those things. Now I always make sure my suit is on correctly and that I'm prepared.

Once I was called for a job position and they actually tried to get me to sign up for college classes at some school. icon_rolleyes.gif

Worst interview was with Siemens corporation. I hate to go through two other interviews and a phone interview to get there, and apparently the guy I was being interviewed by had accidently scheduled another interviewer to come in at that time.

The interviewer went with the other candidate into the office to discuss the position while someone else with the company interviewed me. This threw me off so much that I failed that interview HARD. I went home afterwards and slept for three days straight.

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
    KGhaleon wrote:
    Now I always make sure my suit is on correctly and that I'm prepared.
    KG

What? Pants on backwards, huh?
    Working on Linux+
  • ITNYCITNYC Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The friend that recommended me, text messaged me and said that the two men i first interviewed with liked me but the last guy (head of department), he didnt speak with. Hopefully its a good sign. lets see how it goes. Thanks guys for your comments.
  • seraphusseraphus Member Posts: 307
    ITNYC wrote:
    Once it was done, we shook hands, told me he will be keeping in touch and asked me for a copy of my resume.

I can tell you this:
    No one will ask for a resume of a candidate they're not interested in.

I'm betting that you get it.

:)
    Lab first, ask questions later
  • Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
    what kind of job was this for?? Desktop Support??
    i herd u leik mudkips lol
    Aquabat wrote:
    what kind of job was this for?? Desktop Support??

This is a break/fix role... (servers, Laptops, Desktops) the manager told me i would be working on other things aswell, training me on Networking and so on. Its a very professional environment from what i saw (Investment bank). The manager also mentioned that pay is excellent. Man if i can land this one,.. my future looks pretty good. crossing my fingers, knocking on wood... whatever helps lol.
  • 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    good luck, let us know how you get on, i'd love to work in new york but living in the uk there isnt much chance for me, to move over there
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • Ye Gum NokiYe Gum Noki Member Posts: 115
    They sound like a bunch of nuts to me.
    "What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do." John Ruskin.

They seemed like nice people though. I think they were trying to get to me, as to see if i react to them acting a certain way. not sure though.
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I support a small trading floor as part of my job. Lovely guys and gals tbh, I thought they were gonna be real asshats but not at all.

Good luck, hope you get the job.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
    Thanks for the comments. Since the interview was yesterdayIf i dont hear anything tuesday or Wed. Im going to take it as a (not interested sign) and move on. But, still hopeful.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ITNYC wrote:
    Thanks for the comments. Since the interview was yesterdayIf i dont hear anything tuesday or Wed. Im going to take it as a (not interested sign) and move on. But, still hopeful.

This is exactly why many people do not get jobs. You need to be a go-getter and not someone who just gives up based off of assumption. People with the giving up attitude figure they don't get a call back so they figure they didn't get the job. Most of the jobs I have gotten is due to me following up and showing to them I really care about the position. They saw that and gave me the job. If they don't call within 3-4 days after an interview, I think it's time to give them a call to see what's going on.

Also, don't assume that the interviewers were jerk offs. Perhaps the environment there is a nice place to work for some people due to the relaxed atmosphere. Again, I will say, do NOT make possible career changing decisions based off of assumption.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235

Trading Floor = Cha Ching! They can afford to be selective. Yearly bonuses for the interviewers are a small house to the rest of us.

1 minute to fix a laptop could mean $millions in reality for them.

Moving to the big leagues isn't easy but good luck on it.
    Kam.
  • plettnerplettner Member Posts: 197
    icroyal wrote:
    Also, don't assume that the interviewers were jerk offs. Perhaps the environment there is a nice place to work for some people due to the relaxed atmosphere. Again, I will say, do NOT make possible career changing decisions based off of assumption.

This is spot-on. I had an interview where the head guy was nodding off. The other two were cool and attentive. In any case, I got the job. This is the one I posted about a couple of weeks ago.

Previously I had guys interviewing me that just seemed they did not want to be there. It always worried me.

I guess you just can't pick the people 100% correctly 100% of the time.
    Update, My friend text messaged me saying to expect a call for a third and final interview. he also added it would be rough, meaning a stress interview. anyone been through these stress interviews? any advice? im happy they will be calling me back in again but not sure what to expect out of a stress interview.
  • Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Probably just knowing its gonna be a stress interview is all you need to get you past it. You know they are trying to freak you out in advance would should help plenty :)
    Probably just knowing its gonna be a stress interview is all you need to get you past it. You know they are trying to freak you out in advance would should help plenty :)

I would think so as well :) but has anyone been through one? im trying to get an idea of what to expect.
  • Brandon779978Brandon779978 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    what was wrong with the laptop?