interview tommorow - help and advice

Hercules_UkHercules_Uk Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
finally i ve secured an interview with a telco/isp - its for a junior NOC Engineer - its exactly the kinda job i was looking for icon_lol.gif - i can learn so much for this job - i am over the moon - i really dont want to mess this one up - this will be my first interview so i really dont know what to expect and my first IT job after graduating from university

i ve been told that i will be given a technical test regarding cisco networks and some other stuff and apparently someone from their technical team will be taking the interview so i am sure to expect some technical questions

anyone here has any rough idea what to expect in the test? also what areas should i concentrate on? + any other tips would be appreciated
currently working towards MCSA and job searching..........

Comments

• blackmage439blackmage439 Member Posts: 163
    If it's a techie giving the interview, you shouldn't have too much to worry about. I was scared when I interviewed for Geek Squad awhile back. I thought that I was going to be bombarded with real technical questions, but the guys turned out to be really cool. It was a very comfortable interview. Usually, if you can get a techie to laugh about something, he'll ease up. Think about funny things to say when asked about a scenario. For example, if asked:

"Have you ever had to implement network security?"

Respond with something (true of course!) like this:

"Yes, after my mom contracted the Lovebug from an email, I had to set some ground rules."

Normally, that statement would illicit a head-shaking and chuckles from the techie. Plus, it still answers the question and shows your technical knowledge.

Good luck! :D
    "Facts are meaningless. They can be used to prove anything!"
    - Homer Simpson
  • mrkoreanmrkorean Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I work for an ISP so know your subnetting cold, you will be amazed how many applicates cant do basic subnetting. Also layer 1-7 troubleshooting tools and techniques. Protocols - pros and cons/admin distance.

Good luck for tomorrow!
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I'm at an ISP/Datacenter, and I know it's going to be a great opportunity for you to gain some experience. As for the tech interview, I can only say one thing: answer the questions to the best of your knowledge, and don't be afraid to say "I don't know" if there is something you honestly don't know. Most employers test you out partly because they want to see how much you know, and partly because they need to know how much you don't know and what kind of potential and willingness to learn you have, so they'll have an idea of what kind of training you'll need. Do your best, that's all you can really do.

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Capt. Jean Luc Picard (Patrick Stewart)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There is always more than one answer for a question, don't get tight up on the solution. Also, ask to repeat the question if you are not sure what they asking for.

Good Luck
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn