Options

70-290 & 70-291 in 8 months?

jonlad11jonlad11 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Anyone reckon that this can be done? maybe moving countries so need to get it done soon as!
Cheers!

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Obviously it all depends on the individual, his/her level of experience, and study habits. However, I think it is very possible to accomplish, especially for someone motivated like you seem to be. I wouldn't divide the time down the middle though as 70-291 is much more difficult than 70-290. I would spend 2-3 months on 290 which will also give you a good foundation for 291, then spend whatever time you have left preparing for 291, aka "The Beast". icon_pale.gif

Good luck! icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    how nice of you to say!
    will try my best whilst working full time
  • Options
  • Options
    LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It takes me about 2-3 monthes per exam (with working full time). So i'd say that you could easily do 291 and 291 within 8 months.

Good luck!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I started studying mid-January, and here are my results:
    Feb 12, 2007 - 70-290 - 885
    Mar 7, 2007 - 70-270 - 905
    Apr 9, 2007 - Security+ - 846
    Apr 30, 2007 - 70-294 - Scheduled

I've done the IT work for a company of 20 people for a year and a half, but I really hadn't done more than haphazardly setup domain controllers and basic user account/security settings that pretty much translated right over from XP. I typically read 2-3 books, watch CBT Nuggets, do practice exercises in a VM lab, and use Transcender practice exams. I also work full-time and am taking a college course. It really just depends on how much you want to neglect your social life ;)

I'm actually kind of studying for 291 "in the background" while I study for other exams. Maybe just read a chapter, do a few exercises etc. That one's going to be a lot to handle, so I want to start getting acclimated to the material.
  • Options
    rstainforthrstainforth Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I started at the beginning of last december, and have completed 70-270, 70-290 (knocked that one down in eight weeks) and have 70-291 booked for the beginning of june, so not at all impossible i don't think....

....however! I have been working as a support engineer/sysadmin for a year now (its a small company) and so i'm grabbing the experience whilst doing the books. I think it would be very very difficult for someone who is sat at home, doing the books, without the benefit of practical stuff. I'm lucky enough to be able to commandeer our test/lab servers for my studies, and have set up everything from scratch to work through, as well as having the experience of my colleagues to lend a hand if i get really stuck.

But there are lots of self-taught MCSA/MCSE's out there, and my predecessor in this job did his MCSA in just under 10 months, so go for it!
  • Options
    KMcGKMcG Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Eight months is deffinately possible. I earned my MCSA in a little over four months. The average time at the school I work at is 6-7 months. Good Luck
    Kevin
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Eight months, you could do both exams in half that time, really. If you give yourself plenty of time to study, and you really get your hands dirty with some hands-on training, you'll be able to pull off both exams well before the 8 months are over. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.