Call Back

IT_AdminIT_Admin Member Posts: 158
Hi,

I am not quite sure of what to do right now. I went for my second interview last thrusday, I am confident that it went fairly well, I got the tour of the place, and we touched salary only briefly though. She handed me her card, which I made sure to keep. I sent a thank you letter to her later that day. *was that too soon??* I was told that she or HR would contact me this week about the position. Should I call her or wait for a call back. I dont want to come across pushy. I just dont know what to do.
Next victim: 70-351

On my way to MCSE 2K3: Security

Comments

• SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    It's never too soon for a "Thank You" letter. As for calling them, I'd say hold out this week, since that's when they said they'd call. If they haven't called by Friday, then drop them a line first thing Monday morning.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
    She said she would call in a week. Give it a week then call her.
    Working on Linux+
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with the consensus. Things come up. Give her until Friday afternoon. If she hasn't called drop her an email Monday morning and follow up with a phone call Monday afternoon if necessary.

Good luck!
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • IT_AdminIT_Admin Member Posts: 158
    Well I decided to take the advice and call back about the job, but the problem is, I called yesterday when I got home from work around 3pm, and she was out of the office, the secretary I spoke with said she would be in tomorrow. So I said ok, i call her tomorrow. I called before I left for work just before 9am, and she is not in today, she out of the office again, but I was told that she would *Definitely* be in tomorrow. Should I call back for a 3rd time, and maybe get lucky that she will be in, or should I send her an email instead??

• sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would send her an email now and if you don't here from her by tomorrorw give her a call.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
    I am trying to write an email to send to the IT manager, rather then play phone tag, I have the email written, but it sounds to mundane. Can I get your guys advice/suggestions??

Hi, this is IhopeIgetthejob. How are you doing? I interviewed with you on April 5th, for the position of Network Administrator.

I was unable to reach you the last 2 times that I called. I understand that you are a very busy person, I thought it would be better if I were to contact via email instead. Since I am very interested in this opportunity, I thought I should follow-up with you, how is your decision process going?

• emmajoyceemmajoyce Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    a friendly note,
    if you do send it, check the last sentence. It appears to be two sentences and a question rolled into one.
    Are you asking how her decision making is? Im sure she thinks its fine.
    good luck
    lungsucker.jpg
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Here is what I would write. Maybe you can use parts you like and/or use it to come up with your own wording.

Hello Mr/Mrs HiringPerson:

I just wanted to drop you a note to say thank you for allowing me to interview for the position of Network Administrator. I am still very excited about the opportunity to work for YourCompany and was wondering if any decision had been made yet. I did leave you a couple of phone messages, but I understand you are very busy and appreciate your taking the time to read this message. I trust all is well and look forward to hearing back from you at your earliest convenience. Thank you. Sincerely,

xntrix18
    All things are possible, only believe.
    Well I sent the email out this morning

Thanks sprkymrk for the sample, I did take parts and customize it.

I was thinking of waiting till friday for a response, and if I dont receive one then to call her on friday. This is driving me crazy, the constant waiting to hear back.

• markzabmarkzab Member Posts: 619
    I hope in the meantime you are still out searching for a position, right?
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
    Yeap, I'm always looking. I made that mistake once before of stopping when I got an interview, I ended up wasting almost 3wks of just waiting.

• garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Here is what I would write. Maybe you can use parts you like and/or use it to come up with your own wording.

Hello Mr/Mrs HiringPerson:

I just wanted to drop you a note to say thank you for allowing me to interview for the position of Network Administrator. I am still very excited about the opportunity to work for YourCompany and was wondering if any decision had been made yet. I did leave you a couple of phone messages, but I understand you are very busy and appreciate your taking the time to read this message. I trust all is well and look forward to hearing back from you at your earliest convenience. Thank you. Sincerely,

xntrix18

good.

Calling once or twice and emailing after that is good but calling three or more times with no call back is bad.
  • Ye Gum NokiYe Gum Noki Member Posts: 115
    I am ALWAYS of the opinion of: "If they want you, they will call you." Rarely, if ever, will you get a call if they don't. I'm not saying it's right or I'm right in your particular case, but... if it's been a week... they are still considering other candidates. That doesn't mean you're out necessarily.

I had a guy in Cincinnati call me to check a reference on a guy he was looking to hire and the guy used to work for me. It was for an entry level PC Tech and the hiring guy said he had over 500 applicants. So sometimes it may take a while. But definitely keep looking....

Good luck,
    "What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do." John Ruskin.
    Update;

Well I sent a follow-up email last wednesday, and have yet to hear anything back. My confidence that I had about getting this job, as almost all but diminished. I guess this job wasnt meant for me.

• sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Xn -

Do not give up on the job yet - almost all the time you will hear they will get back in a week and they never do.

I was in a similar situation that you are in now and it took them a month to get back to me! (When they said a week)

I called a few times and they said they would get back to me etc..

In the mean time I was looking for other jobs and I happened to get one. The other job that took a month called me back and wanted to offer me the job - told them sorry!

Just keep looking for other jobs, however until you hear that the Network Admin job is filled - do not give up on it.
  • chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Dont worry about been waiting.
    When i applied to my current job(server/san admin)i applied to a position that was not IT related, and after 2 months i deicided that i wasn't going to get the job. And unbelievable they called me 6 months later to offer me the position of Server/san admin. What i mean is:
    They might call you after 3-6 months depending on the rush they have to fill the position.
  • mrkoreanmrkorean Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Do keep on job hunting till you get an offer signed and sealed. If you wait and wait, you might miss out on an even better job opportunity.