Options

Old nuggets for CCSP

StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
My friend is going to give me his old CCSP CBT Nuggets. The problem is, is that they're slightly outdated and what I want to know is if they would still be useful or would they contain false or unnecessary information.
The tests that are outdated on the cd's are:

SECUR 642-501
SNRS 642-502
SND 642-551

The other two are still the same. Would these videos be useful or would they lead me in the wrong direction?

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Naturally, you'd want the updated CBT Nuggets if you could get them, but the older ones won't hurt you if that's what you've got. I've got a whole slew of CBT Nuggets that are both current and outdated. I compared some of the older Network+ and Linux+ videos to the current ones, and the formats are very similar. In the case of videos that are updated by the same instructor, like the ones for CCNA where Emilio Valdez did the 640-607 and the 640-801 Nuggets, it's only going to be updated for new equipment and new standards, but the course will be practically identical. Basically, you're looking at missing pieces of information, and a little bit of stuff that may not be used anymore, but what's there will be helpful and it will teach you a lot. You'll need to make sure you either get the new Nuggets at some point, or at least have other resources, like the new Cisco Press books for the updated CCSP exams, so that you can fill in the gaps between the old training resources and the new ones.

Just be ready to do a lot of compare and contrast work between your newer material and the older videos. You'll have to filter out old information, integrate newer information that may not be in the Nuggets, and you should be okay.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    chager00chager00 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Stotic wrote:
    My friend is going to give me his old CCSP CBT Nuggets. The problem is, is that they're slightly outdated and what I want to know is if they would still be useful or would they contain false or unnecessary information.
    The tests that are outdated on the cd's are:

SECUR 642-501
    SNRS 642-502
    SND 642-551

The other two are still the same. Would these videos be useful or would they lead me in the wrong direction?

Hey there...I can answer you: you will need more. I have these same Nuggets. In fact, the 551 nugget that I have is dated (by the trainer in several of the videos) from the Fall of 2006, and I JUST THIS MORNING failed 552 for the second time. I've never had any trouble with certs in the past, including CCNA, so I am more determined than ever that CCSP is a valuable cert. If the easiest exam of the lot is giving me this much trouble, it must be good. The worst part is how I feel right now, having failed it twice in a row. The second time I took it I felt great about how I was doing until the very end. I got a 734 with 825 being the minimum. The first time I got a 685. I read the Cisco Press book "Securing Network Devices" front to back and watched all the CBT Nugget videos twice, but they don't cover SDM at all and fail to mention key elements about IKE and IPS. Some terms I saw on the exam this morning that were mentioned nowhere in the videos or the Cisco Press book: SME (related to IPS) and X-Auth (related to IKE). I know I missed those.