should i do it?

Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
While on lunch break today i ran into a lady i used to work with, who is now the HR recruiter for McDonalds. I worked for Mcdonalds for 2 years (through 2 years of highschool and a semester of college). Anyway, she remebered that i was a great worker and all that good stuff.. and she told her boss about me and they said i should go for an open management interview at one of their stores.. I'm wondering.. will this be good or have little to no effect on my resume, and chances of getting a job later...I mean obviously its not in the IT field.. but still, wondering if you guys can give me a hand here. I currently work for Wal-Mart (no interest in moving up the ranks here..), but if Micky D's was to offer me a job and payed more, i'd deffinitely be interested... i need money for gas.. and tuition and books, so even though i'm not a huge fan of the fast food industry, i may have to...

so any ideas/suggestions for me?
Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A management position would look good on a resume, even at McD's. I think as long as it doesn't cut into your school/study time, go for it. What college are you attending, and is it full/part time?

Plus, I live in the Charleston area too and wouldn't mind bumming a free egg mcmuffin from you... icon_lol.gif

Just kidding!
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    trident tech.. basically full time.

i'm thinking about it still though.

• Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    Management experience is a definite plus. Fast food usually has some good training programs. Understand that once your a salaried manager, the time commitments demanded can be a lot.
    It's a good place to pick up some experience and management skills though.
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I casually talked with a higher-up in a major IT company, and after looking at my resume, he said my biggest weakness was essentially a lack social interaction. He wasn't implying that I was antisocial or anything, but there was nothing on my resume that showed I was able to effectively communicate with others. He said that he can teach most everyone the technology, but that it's much more difficult to train someone to be socially competent. I would say go for it unless you have a good reason not to (i.e. you already have a respectable IT position). It will look great on your resume.
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    My first impression of McDonald's management does not ring good with me.
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    didn't go.don't have the time, kind of tired and honestly not sure i'm interested.

my life will be better because of this :)

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Phooey. No free mcmuffins for me. icon_lol.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • ArchadesArchades Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'd do it. It gives you lots of good resume points. I'm presuming that as a manager you'd have some dealing in financial and accounting matter (basic business principals, and trustworthy with money, both a +), ability to lead others (another +), and a hard core course in social interaction since, at least in my own opinion, that since people/customers who you have problems with working in food service (esp fast food) tend to look down upon you and therein treat you generally like crap it's a bit more difficult than some other service industries.

Most employers will never begrudge you for having hard honest work on your resume. I'd look past the name of the company. A job like this is a lot like, basically, getting a degree. When you think about what a degree actually is in a way, it's a acknowledgment that you can set a difficult and long term goal and achieve it. It's the same with a job like this, it's not so much where you worked it's that you can successfully lead a group of people and keep a business operating smoothly.
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    As long as you keep up with your certs it would be good as you could always put on your resume: "Being comitted to a career in technical support, I gained my certs through self study whilst I enrolled at McDonalds in order to gain management experience in a busy, customer facing team environment." That would ring a lot of bells at interview.

However, make no mention of the free lunch icon_wink.gif

The words always flow when I have the lager in me icon_lol.gif
    Kam.
  • malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Working in fast food is great fun whilst you're at school or university but I don't think that it will enhance your chances of getting an IT job....management experience or not!

These are the types of jobs that you get stuck in and feel stuck in a rutt eventually as store manager is as high as you can go other than the select few that become regional managers etc but think how many people are vying for that position.....

I worked in BK about 8 years ago for a couple of years as a supervisor part time around university and I have to say it was one of the best jobs I've had from the social point of view. I met all my best friends there who are still my best friends now (none of us work there now or have done for 6 years lol) and had a great time working there so yeh the social side is good but it's not really something I'd want to be doing for the rest of my days!

I think you made the right decision as it can be tempting in the short term to be banded with "manager" status and get a $35k salary but as I say it's extremely difficult to go beyond that in mickey d's or BK

stick in with the certs and you'll do okay icon_cool.gif
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Kaminsky wrote:
    As long as you keep up with your certs it would be good as you could always put on your resume: "Being comitted to a career in technical support, I gained my certs through self study whilst I enrolled at McDonalds in order to gain management experience in a busy, customer facing team environment." That would ring a lot of bells at interview.

However, make no mention of the free lunch icon_wink.gif

The words always flow when I have the lager in me icon_lol.gif

Doh.. missed he turned it down.
    Kam.
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you looking IT management job... It is OK... but not for entry position. Experience is experience, so learn how to enhance on your interview and resume.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn