Options

Redistribute

RedlabelRedlabel Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Good day all

When is the command "redistribute connected" prefered over dynamic routing such as EIGRP?
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    mwgoodmwgood Member Posts: 293
    "Redistribute connected" is not an alternative to dynamic routing. That command would go under a "dynamic" routing protocol - so it would be used with, or in conjuction with a routing protocol - not "preferred over."
  • Options
    RedlabelRedlabel Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    in RIP and IGRP I have seen ppl using "Redistribute connected" instead of propagating a network, just to conserve bandwidth as they told me.

Just wanted to understand when to use this command.

Say we have 3 routers, and 2 LANs one connected to router1 and another to Router3.
    When using:
    on Router1:
    router igrp 1
    network 10.10.10.0 (network between router1 and router2)
    Redistribute connected (not entering the network of the LAN connected to Router1..rather using this command instead)
    Exit

This way Router2 with reflect the LAN connected to Router1 in its routing table.

My question was when is it better to use Redistribute connected over using for instance Network 192.168.1.0 under router igrp 1 as stated above.

thanks...
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There is a difference in the result of both commands, if you do "redistribute connected" you are propagating an external route into igrp, if you use the network command the route will be either "internal" or a "system" route.
    When is it better to use Redistribute Connected? when an upstream router receives this route via two sources and you prefer the other source,since you are advertising the route from this source as external the other internal source will be preferred.
    You may prefer to use the network command and passive interface as there are some directly connected networks you dont want to advertise, you may decide to use "redistribute connected route-map test" to only advertise a select few connected interfaces.You might not want to modify an access-list for the route-map everytime you have a new connected interface to advertise.
    This all comes down to personal choice and what you're most comfortable with, if its a static configuration i prefer "redistribute connected route-map test".
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mwgood wrote:
    "Redistribute connected" is not an alternative to dynamic routing. That command would go under a "dynamic" routing protocol - so it would be used with, or in conjuction with a routing protocol - not "preferred over."

true.

"in RIP and IGRP I have seen ppl using "Redistribute connected" instead of propagating a network, just to conserve bandwidth as they told me. "

nop. -- when you use dynamic routing -- it still needs updates.
    to conserve BW - you use other function to achieve that such as passive interface, bandwidth percent etc.
    but -- if they are trying not to get busy advertise all the networks -- this "redistribute-conn" trick is OK.

cheers.
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.