interview...first day at work [update]

bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
hey everyone...

I have an interview next week for an IT coordinator position in a medical centre. This will be my first full time position as I am about to graduate this summer.

I know there's been lots of threads for tips already, but any words in particular to this type of work in such an environment?

thanks in advance.

edit: It's confirmed that I'm working on several IT projects involving the hospital's resources and equipment. Likely working with helpdesk in writing knowledge base, documentation process, managing inventory etc.
Jack of all trades, master of none

Comments

• Ye Gum NokiYe Gum Noki Member Posts: 115
    Do some research on the company - stuff that might be handy to know in the interview. If you have a copy of the job description you are applying for, read it and use it to prepare for what you want to say and how YOUR skills make you a good fit.

Toot your own horn without bragging.

Dress nice.

Look the interviewers in the eye, but don't make it a staring contest.

Make sure you eat a little something first, so your stomach isn't growling, but avoid soda so you aren't belchy.

Good firm handshakes without breaking anyone's finger bones, again, looking folks in the eye and smiling.

Be positive, avoid discussing anything NOT related to the job... politics, religion and sex.

Try to relax and learn from the experience.

Good luck,
    "What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do." John Ruskin.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just a wild guess, but being a medical center I am sure the privacy issues on patient information are paramount. I would become familiar with any applicable laws in Canada on the subject.

Arrive several minutes early. If you have a nice leather portfolio/folder/binder bring it with you, but leave your laptop and/or briefcase in the car.

Mention that you know me. Wait, actually, deny any knowledge of me at all. icon_lol.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Since this position is within a medical facility I would suggest reading up on HL7. Good luck!
  • sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    BigHorn - do you attend UofT?
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349
    hey bighorn i currently work in the medical field Also...

Your interview prob won't be as practical as u think, if there are Doctors or Professor conducting the interview (Several of them as in my case), they prob will be more interested in your personality.

Mr. Ye's tips should help you well.
    stonecold26.jpg
  • mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
    hey everyone...

I have an interview next week for a junior network technican position in a medical centre. This will be my first full time position as I am about to graduate this summer.

I know there's been lots of threads for tips already, but any words in particular to this type of work in such an environment?

thanks in advance.

Watch out for AIDS infected needles.
    Working on Linux+
  • markzabmarkzab Member Posts: 619
    mrhaun03 wrote:
    hey everyone...

I have an interview next week for a junior network technican position in a medical centre. This will be my first full time position as I am about to graduate this summer.

thanks in advance.

Bad experience? icon_eek.gif
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
  • mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    wow... intersting
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349
    LOL yeah pretty much scary......

I work in the HIV/AID Research department, got some horrible story tales there.
    stonecold26.jpg
  • mrkoreanmrkorean Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    elover_jm wrote:
    LOL yeah pretty much scary......

I work in the HIV/AID Research department, got some horrible story tales there.
    Like dont use HIV/AID infected needles as toothpick? Please share :p

I have got job offers on every interview I have been to.

1) Study job description. Companies look for examples, softskills as well as technical skills.
    2) Research about the company and the person interviewing you.
    3) Have good questions.
    4) Always be honest, if you dont know, then say so and state that you have an interest to learn it.
  • Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Just a wild guess, but being a medical center I am sure the privacy issues on patient information are paramount. I would become familiar with any applicable laws in Canada on the subject.

Arrive several minutes early. If you have a nice leather portfolio/folder/binder bring it with you, but leave your laptop and/or briefcase in the car.

Mention that you know me. Wait, actually, deny any knowledge of me at all. icon_lol.gif

yes! read up on HIPPA and Sarbanes-Oxley, i interened in a hospital, very important
    i herd u leik mudkips lol
  • mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
    markzab wrote:
    mrhaun03 wrote:
    hey everyone...

thanks in advance.

Bad experience? icon_eek.gif

I prefer not to talk about it...
    Working on Linux+
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    hmmm, interesting comments...

It is a Cisco Gold partner that I am interviewing with, but I will be working at the medical centre. I guess the medical centre outsourced to the company I am applying to. The job description sounds pretty straight forward, hopefully this will eventually become something less entry if I do get hired.

*goes to review Network+ materials*
    Just a little update, the interview was a little scary for me, a few technical questions followed by other general ones. I wasn't offered the job on the spot, I'll be sending in some references to HR tomorrow, and I was told I should be hearing back soon.

Is it bad that I did not get the offer right away, and no timeline was given?

They already filled the technician position, but there is another analyst position they think I might be suitable for...so we'll see what happens.

The company is bigger than I thought, it seems like they have offices all across Canada and the US as well as several countries in Europe. If I get the job, I'll be entitled to several perks with other International business partners....

Thanks again to all of your comments, If I get the job, I'll be working with 1 or 2 CCIE, half dozen CCNP's, and I think most of the people are at least CCNA/CCDA....nice roster if you ask me :)
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Let's hope that you get it bighornsheep! It definitely sounds like a very good position. Although I do not know much of the position, I have seen your character from posting on these forums and know you will do an excellent job and work hard.

I would definitely say it's normal that you didn't get the job on the spot. Make sure that you do a thank you letter. If possible, I would drop it off to the person who ultimately hires you and maybe even everyone that interviewed you. Often, they will team up together and discuss you. If you do not hear back from them within the next 2-3 days, I would give them a call. Often this shows that you are very interested in the position.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
    icroyal wrote:
    Let's hope that you get it bighornsheep! It definitely sounds like a very good position. Although I do not know much of the position, I have seen your character from posting on these forums and know you will do an excellent job and work hard.

I would definitely say it's normal that you didn't get the job on the spot. Make sure that you do a thank you letter. If possible, I would drop it off to the person who ultimately hires you and maybe even everyone that interviewed you. Often, they will team up together and discuss you. If you do not hear back from them within the next 2-3 days, I would give them a call. Often this shows that you are very interested in the position.

I agree on all counts. icon_cool.gif
    icroyal wrote:
    It definitely sounds like a very good position. Although I do not know much of the position, I have seen your character from posting on these forums and know you will do an excellent job and work hard.

Thank you, thank you...you're very kind. It's unfortunate 'n bittersweet in ways that it's not as technical as I have hoped for in a first job, but basically it's a site/network analyst position, not sure if that's exactly what they would call it...but I would be working along with the network engineers and support team to manage the data centres, the equipment, and the IT environment, it's alot of protocols checks, procedure updates, meeting with managers/team leads and to sort of streamline several of their upcoming upgrades/overhaul.

There are apparently many opportunities in other parts of the company, and I definitely think that there is good benefits for me to at least have the exposure to the hardware, and also the familiarity maintaining and keeping track of them, eventually it would be great to be able to get my hands dirty and actually help with an upgrade or two....we'll see, we'll see.

Definitely the thank you letter will be going out soon, I still have to follow up with HR...hopefully this will all be well.

ps. besides the obvious thank you in a thank you letter, should there be additional "hard-selling" or should I simply avoid beating the horse? Should I talk more about why I think I would be suitable for the job or basically wait for the response?
    I got the job!

And reading back in the past posts, I thought I should say that they did not give me the technician job, they gave me something else. I'll being working on various projects in their IT department.

Now I just have to worry about graduating, phew~ job hunt is out of the way before graduating? Wow...I feel most privileged.

Just a note that for some reaon...MCSA did not impress them, but MCDST did! Go figure....
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif

What are the job responsibilities? When do you start?
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Awesome, congratulations! Even if you did not get the job that you wanted, as you said, there are plenty of other positions in the company. Companies almost always seek out internally before externally.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
    sprkymrk wrote:
    What are the job responsibilities? When do you start?

I probably wont know the specifics until I start or at my orientation, but my understanding is that work assigned are project based, and I will coordinate with other departments.

I'll be starting in July, a week after my LAST EXAM IN UNDERGRADUATE...mwahaha.....

:D:D:D
  • JdotQJdotQ Member Posts: 230
    Congrats!
    royal wrote:
    Companies almost always seek out internally before externally.

As royal (aka icroyal - congrats on the name change! ;) ) said, once you have your foot in the door of the company, it'll be easier to move up/around to other positions you want. Best of luck! icon_cool.gif
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2