Resume Critique

Hello everyone.

Well, I'm finally ready to update my online resume. I have a finished version that I am pretty happy with. I just need some pointers on anything that I have overlooked, or anything that looks tacky or out-of-place.

***Begin resume***

Address
City, State Zip

Phone: (555) 555-5555
Email: likeiwouldtellyou@lol.com

Firstname Lastname

* Summary *

- Hard working, dependable individual looking to gain experience.
- Demonstrates exceptional leadership capabilities in a team-oriented environment.
- Excellent time management skills while working solo or under deadlines.
- Very professional attitude in all aspects of life.

* Certification *

CompTIA A+

* Education *

College of DuPage
09/2003 – Present
Glen Ellyn, IL

- Some college coursework completed.
- 3.6/4.0 GPA with Academic Honors.
- Currently pursuing an Associates of Applied Science Degree in Computer Internetworking Technologies.

Romeoville High School
08/1999 – 06/2003
Romeoville, IL

- High School Diploma obtained.
- 1st Honors for most of all 4 years attended.
- 3.3/4.0 GPA.

* Experience *

College of DuPage
09/2006 – Present
Glen Ellyn, IL

Student Aide
- Basic customer service interaction at the Naperville campus for CoD.
- Answer phones and any questions the public has regarding the College.
- Make appointments with counselors for students who need assistance.
- Asked to fill the position personally by manager before even filling out an application, due to outstanding previous work experience at the campus as a Lab Aide (described below).

College of DuPage
12/2003 – Present
Glen Ellyn, IL

Senior Lab Aide
- Promoted to Senior Lab Aide less than one year after employment.
- Awarded Outstanding Achievement Award for Student Employees.
- Answer questions regarding PCs and Macintosh computers.
- Assist lab patrons with software and hardware issues they encounter.
- Clean and maintain computers and desks.
- Ensure academic atmosphere in public computer lab on campus.
- Answer incoming calls and emails in the Student Support Help Desk for student email accounts supplied by the College.
- Proposed positive changes to the Sutdent Support Help Desk.

Subway Restaurants
12/2001 - 10/2003
Bolingbrook, IL

Evening Supervisor
- Promoted to Evening Supervisor about one year after employment.
- Occasionally opened store and prepared for daily business.
- Routinely closed store at night.
- Prepared customers’ sandwiches to their specifications.
- Ran register and balanced at the end of the shift.
- Successfully accomplished food order for the store while manager was on vacation.

***End resume***

If you want to see a more finished MS Word version, please send me your email address through a private message.

Thanks! :D
"Facts are meaningless. They can be used to prove anything!"
- Homer Simpson

Comments

• KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Certificaiton should not go before Education

You need to be more specific Student Aide and Senior Lab Aide.

Summary should be in paragraph.

List list those course that you took, for example: intro to CS I/II, Programming, System Operation, OOP, .....
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • blackmage439blackmage439 Member Posts: 163
    Thanks for the reply.
    Kasor wrote:
    Certificaiton should not go before Education
    I thought I read on the resume topic Sticky here that it was acceptable... I think I need to re-read that post. icon_redface.gif
    Kasor wrote:
    You need to be more specific Student Aide and Senior Lab Aide.
    Those are my current job titles... I figured that was the point. The Student Aide position is just a general front-desk position. The Lab Aide position's summary speaks for itself. Maybe I'll change the title to "Computer Lab Aide"... As for the Student Aide position, I've been having trouble figuring out a good title for that position...
    Kasor wrote:
    Summary should be in paragraph.
    I figured as much...
    Kasor wrote:
    List list those course that you took, for example: intro to CS I/II, Programming, System Operation, OOP, .....
    I was seriously thinking about that. Thanks!
    - Homer Simpson
    Changed some things around. Please let me know what you think. This is important to me, and I want to get it right. Please keep in mind this is a rough, text-only document for online job sites that don't except Word docs. If you want to see one more detailed, please send me your email address through a private message. Thanks!

***Begin resume***

Address
    City, ST Zip

Email: lmaorofl@lol.com

FirstName LastName

* Summary *

Hard working, dependable individual looking to gain experience. Demonstrates exceptional leadership capabilities in a team-oriented environment. Excellent time management skills while working solo or under deadlines. Very professional attitude in all aspects of life.

* Education *

College of DuPage
    09/2003 – Present
    Glen Ellyn, IL

- Currently pursuing an Associates of Applied Science Degree in Computer Internetworking Technologies.
    - Have taken classes dealing with some Cisco routers and switches, Linux, and Active Directory in Windows 2003 Server. Also includes preparatory classes for the A+, Net+, and CCNA exams.

Romeoville High School
    08/1999 – 06/2003
    Romeoville, IL

- 3.3/4.0 GPA.
    - Majored in computer technology. Took classes based on introductions to keyboarding, word processing, Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop, HTML, digital movie making, and Microsoft Visual Basic.

* Certification *

CompTIA A+

* Experience *

College of DuPage
    09/2006 – Present
    Glen Ellyn, IL

Student Aide
    - Secretarial front desk position for the College’s Naperville campus.
    - Make copies for students and faculty.
    - Handle incoming, outgoing, and intercampus mail.
    - Asked to fill the position personally by manager before even filling out an application, due to outstanding previous work experience at the campus as a Lab Aide (described below).

College of DuPage
    12/2003 – Present
    Glen Ellyn, IL

Computer Lab Aide
    - Clean and maintain computers, desks, and printers.
    - Answer incoming calls and emails, in the Student Support Help Desk, pertaining to student email accounts supplied by the College.
    - Proposed positive changes to the Student Support Help Desk.

Subway Restaurants
    12/2001 - 10/2003
    Bolingbrook, IL

Evening Supervisor
    - Successfully completed food order for the store while manager was on vacation.

***End resume***
    - Homer Simpson
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    no self promoting personal descriptions in summary those can be viewed subjectively. If they want to know they will ask your past employers. Just the facts about what you have been doing.
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Not too bad, but here's what I think...

intro
    I hope you dont actually have an email address like that, get yourself a professional looking one, yahoo, hotmail is good, but there are better alternatives, ie, your school email account.

education
    Instead of saying you have some coursework completed, you should give them something concrete that you're x out of y away from graduating...unless of course you're less than 1/3 of the way done, but I'm assumming you're pretty close if you started in 2003. Dont say "dealing" in formal communication, are you playing cards with those routers? or selling them illegally? Are they difficult things that you "deal" with? Otherwise, pick another word. All of those things (Linux, AD routers/switches) I would highly recommend that you would tabulate them and have a seperate section. Focus on your program at college, and say something promotional and powerful about it. ie. "pursuing bridge program to a Bachelor's" or "state-recognized & accredited" I dont know anything about your school and your program, so i made those up, but you get my point I hope.

In your high school education, I dont think "major" is a good word, unless if your high school diploma actually mentions that, you dont major in IT, because there's a good chance that's not where most of your credits are, there are things like math, english, science and multiples of them that you are required to take. With those MS Office or VB courses, same thing, I would tabulate them in "Skills"

Certification
    Seeing you currently only have 1, I dont think it's a good idea to waste space for this, I would rename it to "Accomplishments" and combine your work-related recognition ie. your "Outstanding award"

experience
    I dont doubt that you're exceptional in your work, but personally I would take what you wrote as a little cocky, all of those wording with "did this and that in less than this amount of time" sounds to me like you are not humble. But that could just me or my character and personality, if there's something else about those facts that you want to promote and demonstrate, that's up to you.

Also, in your two roles as aides, I'd really focus in on those two, they're probably your two most prized background in your entire resume besides your education. Typically, you want to tell people what you did, why, and the big "so", what you did is important, ie. cleaning the desk, but why? If that's what you're supposed to do, it's not very interesting, but if you were the only one that cleaned, and no one asked you, than it is very important, and it's a skill you should write a little bit more about, finally, the big "so? factor", you cleaned stuff, so what? So does lysol, but lysol isnt proactive, you are! For taking the initiative to do what you thought was important after you had observed your work environment (that is if cleaning really wasnt part of your job).

The cleaning was just one example, maintaining academic atmosphere would be another, and basically everything you have written has to answer the "what" "why" and "so?" questions.

I do apologize if I sound a little rude, but I think that's the whole thing with resume writing that I learnt, we all spend (hopefully) hours and hours on writing this piece of work, and we often think it's so great and it will score the best gig possible, but having the outside opinion, having those (constructive) comments is extremely important, it shakes your view on what you have written, and yourself as a potential worker, figure out why you should do what you are wanting to do, and why should someone else let you do it by hiring you. Good luck~
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was wondering if it a good ideat o put in your curriculum what you want to achive in the near future and in the long future for example

In the near future

Get my CCNP
    blah blah blah blha

In the long future
    Get my CCIE(Routing and switching)

well just to give and example.... it is a bad idea or good?
    Alright, I'll try and respond to everything here...
    keenon wrote:
    no self promoting personal descriptions in summary those can be viewed subjectively. If they want to know they will ask your past employers. Just the facts about what you have been doing.
    I saw self-gratification in someone's post on your Sticky, and it didn't receive any objections. So, I thought it might actually help. I guess I went at the Summary at the wrong angle. I shall re-write it to better reflect my experience instead. Thanks! icon_redface.gif
    intro
    I hope you dont actually have an email address like that, get yourself a professional looking one, yahoo, hotmail is good, but there are better alternatives, ie, your school email account.
    Haha. No, that is not my email address. I would hope no one uses an email address like that in a resume, but I guess that's wishful thinking. icon_lol.gif I use my campus-provided email for professional contacts.
    education
    Yeah, I started one area of study in '03, but decided that wasn't for me. Unfortunately, all of the requirements did not transfer-over to my new choice. So, I basically started over from scratch. Blah... Anyhoo, I agree that "dealing" isn't the best description... I'll have to figure out the best way to display all of those aquired skills. Seperate sheet or just a seperate section?

As far as my AAS goes: My college is just a 2-year community college. I'm not even 100% sure that the degree will transfer many credits to a 4-year school. I'm more concerned with just getting the AAS and certification, so I haven't given a Bachelor's much thought. I'm not really sure what to say about the AAS... I guess I'll try doing some homework on it.

I'll do the same thing with the 'skills' I learned in high school and list them seperately.
    Certification
    Seeing you currently only have 1, I dont think it's a good idea to waste space for this, I would rename it to "Accomplishments" and combine your work-related recognition ie. your "Outstanding award"
    I'll take this under advisement. Keenon says to display it, even if you have only one, and it seems to stand out positively to me. I'm just a beginner with writing a resume, so I'm not sure just how tacky only one Cert looks...
    experience
    I dont doubt that you're exceptional in your work, but personally I would take what you wrote as a little cocky, all of those wording with "did this and that in less than this amount of time" sounds to me like you are not humble. But that could just me or my character and personality, if there's something else about those facts that you want to promote and demonstrate, that's up to you.
    I wrestled with this thought as well. Perhaps would just removing the timeline make it looks less cocky? I.e. "Promoted to blah blah." and leave it at that? I also am not sure about listing raises I have earned... Not the actual $$$ amounts, but just a short line, such as "Recipient of two raises."
    Also, in your two roles as aides, I'd really focus in on those two, they're probably your two most prized background in your entire resume besides your education. Typically, you want to tell people what you did, why, and the big "so", what you did is important, ie. cleaning the desk, but why? If that's what you're supposed to do, it's not very interesting, but if you were the only one that cleaned, and no one asked you, than it is very important, and it's a skill you should write a little bit more about, finally, the big "so? factor", you cleaned stuff, so what? So does lysol, but lysol isnt proactive, you are! For taking the initiative to do what you thought was important after you had observed your work environment (that is if cleaning really wasnt part of your job).
    I'm sorry, I just laughed when I read this. icon_lol.gif But you're right. Cleaning is a big part of the job. During break time (i.e. Spring Break), that is all we do. Clean. I realize it isn't a big deal, since us aides are all required to do it anyway. I was just listing anything that came to mind, as far as job responsibilities goes... Maybe I'll omit that little line, and enhance any others that are lacking.

I don't think you were rude at all! Your little tirade about Lysol had me chuckling icon_lol.gif Your advice has helped me realize some flaws that need to be addressed. Like you said, this is serious business, and I appreciate all the help I can get! Thanks!
    I was wondering if it a good ideat o put in your curriculum what you want to achive in the near future and in the long future
    So am I. :P
    - Homer Simpson
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Id think it would be ok to put "pending" certs for example if you maybe have taken courses or completed "parts" of a certification. However be honest here and be realistic, don't say you will be sitting exams soon if you won't.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hello everyone.

Well, I'm finally ready to update my online resume. I have a finished version that I am pretty happy with. I just need some pointers on anything that I have overlooked, or anything that looks tacky or out-of-place.

***Begin resume***

******** Name should be the first thing and the only thing with the biggest font. You want to display your name powerfully.

Address
    City, State Zip
    ******** Don't need spaces, try to keep resume at 1 page.
    Email: likeiwouldtellyou@lol.com

Firstname Lastname

******** Career Objective first.
    * Summary *

- Hard working, dependable individual looking to gain experience.
    - Demonstrates exceptional leadership capabilities in a team-oriented environment.
    - Excellent time management skills while working solo or under deadlines.
    - Very professional attitude in all aspects of life.

******** Remove Summary completely. Add a Skills instead of Summary. List your skills instead of personality traits. (AKA I know RIS, sysprep, etc)

********* Education/Certification in 1 header and the last thing you put
    * Certification *

CompTIA A+

* Education *

College of DuPage
    09/2003 – Present
    Glen Ellyn, IL

******** Summarize your school information better

Romeoville High School
    08/1999 – 06/2003
    Romeoville, IL

- 3.3/4.0 GPA.

******** Should be placed after skills

* Experience *

College of DuPage
    09/2006 – Present
    Glen Ellyn, IL

Student Aide
    - Basic customer service interaction at the Naperville campus for CoD.

College of DuPage
    12/2003 – Present
    Glen Ellyn, IL

Senior Lab Aide
    - Clean and maintain computers and desks.
    - Answer incoming calls and emails in the Student Support Help Desk for student email accounts supplied by the College.
    - Proposed positive changes to the Sutdent Support Help Desk.

Subway Restaurants
    12/2001 - 10/2003
    Bolingbrook, IL

Evening Supervisor
    - Successfully accomplished food order for the store while manager was on vacation.

***End resume***

If you want to see a more finished MS Word version, please send me your email address through a private message.

Thanks! :D[/u][/b]
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!