Low-cost switches

Tricon7Tricon7 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 238
I need a switch for my new home setup, and I was told that 2950 switches are good. However, when I went to eBay to check them out, they were all pretty expensive (to me anyway), running above $100 for final sale prices. I bought two routers for less than this. Is there a decent switch that would be good for a decent lab that could suit my purposes (I'm halfway through CCNA)? I don't want to be cheap, but money is tight right now. Thanks.

Comments

• iprouteiproute Member Posts: 269
    Yeah, I've encountered this as well. I have 2x2912 XL EN's, which have most of the same commands as the 2950s. The two commands I'm missing now are the interface range command and having to use vlan database to setup vlans.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22455

This link was very helpful to me.
    CCNP Progress
    ROUTE [X] :: SWITCH [X] :: TSHOOT [X]
  • emsrescueemsrescue Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I will second the 2912's

I have 2 and they do everything I need at the moment. Got them both for under £30 each on ebay.

Jon
  • ReardenRearden Member Posts: 222
    Switches are just expensive, that's all there is to it. There's a lot more interfaces than on routers which equates to a lot more copper, which isn't cheap. Switches also need some speedy processors to handle all those packets out all those interfaces, etc etc.
    More systems have been wiped out by admins than any cracker could do in a lifetime.
  • markzabmarkzab Member Posts: 619
    2950 switches for $100? I'll take 3.

That's a VERY good price. I had to scratch and claw on ebay for a week to finally get one for $170 and that was a 12 port.
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    markzab wrote:

That's a VERY good price. I had to scratch and claw on ebay for a week to finally get one for $170 and that was a 12 port.
    +1000000

i'd take three at that price as well.. i'm seening 2950's go for $250+ more often. for the 24 port models.

look into 2924s if you can. they're cheap. i got 3 of mine for under $120, i belive.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • markzabmarkzab Member Posts: 619
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    markzab wrote:

+1000000

i'd take three at that price as well.. i'm seening 2950's go for $250+ more often. for the 24 port models.

look into 2924s if you can. they're cheap. i got 3 of mine for under $120, i belive.

Yeah, those are a bit easier to get lucky on. I got me a 2924 that just came in yesterday which I paid $39.99 for and then like $30 for shipping. The best is to not look for the sellers who always have switches, but the guys who are selling just that one because they took it out of a working envirnment. Sometimes they dont know market value.
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
  • MrfixitRightMrfixitRight Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I bought two routers for less than this.

Ah ha! So you're the one that outbid me on those routers!! icon_mad.gif

Kidding! :D Well, I was able to pick up a router for $32 + shipping, not top of the line but it's okay, it's a 2514. Got it in today and fired it up and it has ver. 12.1 IOS on it! Thought I'd have to find an IOS to install. Ran some configs on it, but haven't hooked it to my network yet, still have to find a damn AUI Transceiver! (Has the AUI ports instead of RJ45.) Also picked up a switch for $19, granted it's a 1912, but what the heck, good enough for some hands on!

I was bidding on a 2691, but got shut out when it jumped to over $80! (No, I really didn't expect to get it for $80, but I had to try. Would have been nice, considering shipping was right at $30!)
    I got me a 2924 that just came in yesterday which I paid $39.99 for and then like $30 for shipping.

Sounds like a good deal. I may have to bid on one or two. Well, after I make sure the bills are paid..... icon_rolleyes.gif
    Keyboard not functioning, Press F1 to continue

Anything that goes up, must come down. Ask any Systems Admin.

dell.jpg
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd pick up a pair of 2900 series switches and a 2950. The 2950 is the base switch used on the current CCNA so if you really want to study the most current hardware/software on the exam you'll need one. You can "get by" with 2900 series switches but it won't be the same.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Tricon7Tricon7 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 238
    Where did you get a switch for $19? They're pricey even on eBay. I wish I were so fortunate.
  • Tricon7Tricon7 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 238
    Anyone have any input on this switch? I wonder if it has an IOS 12.1 or higher?

http://www.ciscokits.com/cube/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=55
  • redgoblinredgoblin Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd stay away from 1900 switches for the CCNA, although its better than having nothing. 2900 (XL) series switches are ok for the CCNA although 2950's are definitly the way to go. The only thing that 2900 switches allow you to do that 2950's dont, is the ability to ISL trunk.

In summary though, get 2950's if money permits, else 2900XL, or if money is reallly tight then 1900's are better than having nothing. The only snag is that the commands for 1900's are pretty different to 2950's and you might end up learning things the 'old' way if you use 1900's alot and effectively you'll end up learning commands for 2950's which are tested on the CCNA and 1900's which aren't.

I'd say overall aim for 2950's and if not 2900XL.
  • MrfixitRightMrfixitRight Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Tricon7 wrote:
    Where did you get a switch for $19? They're pricey even on eBay. I wish I were so fortunate.

I got this on eBay, it was marked as "Buy Now" at $24 with an option to "Make an offer". I offered $19 and the guy took it! Lucky. :D It has Enterprise Edition 9.00.07 on it and works great!
    or if money is reallly tight then 1900's are better than having nothing.

Yes, money is tight, and having a 1912 is better than nothing.
    Keyboard not functioning, Press F1 to continue

Anything that goes up, must come down. Ask any Systems Admin.

dell.jpg