Options

Cisco Switch and Router Connection to Home Network

telecomops101telecomops101 Member Posts: 128
I am buying a Cisco 2900 swith and 2500 router. I just want to see if I have this correct when hooking it up to my home network. I use cable for my internet connection and wanted to see if this is correct:

1) From the routers serial interface I will connect serial 0 to the cable modems WAN connection. I will need some sort of media converter or if their is a cable with a DB60 and RJ45 connection on it, please let me know.

2) From the AUI connection on the router I will connect to the switches Fast Ethernet port. Again I will need a transciever to make this connection.

3) All host's will connect to the switches interfaces.

Let me know if this sounds correct and If not, any assisatnce would be appreciated. I just started working on my CCNA, so I am new to the Cisco world. Thanks
"Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it. Autograph your work with excellence."

Comments

• Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    you got the AUI to switch part right but to connect your router to your modem unless it h appens to have a serial connection you'd have to use another AUI/transceiver with a cat 5e/6/whatever cable.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    markzabmarkzab Member Posts: 619
    Take a look through this forum and do a search for home network. Just recently this was covered and there is a really good thread on getting this done. Good luck.
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
  • Options
    iprouteiproute Member Posts: 269
    I am buying a Cisco 2900 swith and 2500 router. I just want to see if I have this correct when hooking it up to my home network. I use cable for my internet connection and wanted to see if this is correct:

1) From the routers serial interface I will connect serial 0 to the cable modems WAN connection. I will need some sort of media converter or if their is a cable with a DB60 and RJ45 connection on it, please let me know.
    I'm guessing since you're asking this, you don't have an extra eth port on your router. Don't know the answer to this.
    2) From the AUI connection on the router I will connect to the switches Fast Ethernet port. Again I will need a transciever to make this connection.
    Correct. Make sure your switch port isn't actually configured for 100-Full, or you will not get connectivity. I believe the AUI port and transceiver are only capable of 10MBps (can someone verify?).
    3) All host's will connect to the switches interfaces.
    Let me know if this sounds correct and If not, any assisatnce would be appreciated. I just started working on my CCNA, so I am new to the Cisco world. Thanks
    Sounds like it should work (except for the number 1, which I don't know the answer to).
    CCNP Progress
    ROUTE [X] :: SWITCH [X] :: TSHOOT [X]
  • Options
    malwethmalweth Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry to rehash, but:

1) Most (if not all) cable modems have an ethernet interface. There's no such thing as a Serial to Ethernet cable as they're electrically different.

2) Most switches have only ethernet ports.

3) To go between the two, you'll need a router with two Ethernet (or AUI) ports or two routers, each with one serial and one Ethernet port (the second set-up would also require a DCE to DTE Serial cross cable to connect the two routers).

For anything Ethernet AUI you're right in that you'll need an Ethernet Transceiver. From there, Category 5e is recommended (and most commonly found), but any Ethernet patch cable is ok (Cat 3, 4, 5, 5e, or 6).

4) When configuring your router, you'll need to set up NAT (Network Address Translation). This allows you to use private addresses inside your network with only one public address outside your network (most cable internet services only allow for one public address). Depending on your provider you may also need to set up DHCP and/or PPPoE (PPPoE is mostly used w/ DSL).

Based on your description, you will most likely need a second router - it sounds as though yours only has a single Ethernet port.
    128  64  32  16  |   8   4   2   1
    128 192 224 240  | 248 252 254 255
     25  26  27  28  |  29  30  31  32

• Options
    emsrescueemsrescue Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am guessing you have a 2501 router. You need a router with 2 ethernet interfaces i.e. 2514 if you want to stick with 2500's. As has already been said you will need to set up your router with NAT to allow all your internal hosts to share the 1 IP address assigned to your cable modem. I used have a 1721 router attached to my modem and a 2912 switch.

Do a google search for 2514 nat and you should find a few sites that cover off how to set this up.

Jon