SHAM!!! Watch out

bridgerbridger Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
There is more hype than substance in EC-Council.

Check this link https://esos.state.nv.us/SOSServices/AnonymousAccess/CorpSearch/CorpDetails.aspx?CorpID=429981

EC-Council or International Council of ECommerce Consultants is a Nevada incorporated company and has NO office in New York as they claim. Pay them a visit and there is absolutely NOTHING there. Any enquiry called is always met with one response - please email. Try checking their claims before you invest in their products

EC-Council had announced an university earlier this year at Wyoming. They claim the certifications would get credits for their masters program. Its a diploma paper mill at best that will have its license revoked sooner or later as per the legislature revoking all unaccredited programs (http://legisweb.state.wy.us/2006/Digest/SF0069.htm)

From their university website "EC-Council University is licensed by the State of Wyoming under Wyo. Stat. 21-2-401 through 21-2-407 and neither the Department of Education nor the Wyoming State Board of Education has accredited or endorsed any course of study offered by EC-Council University"

If you check their members list as well, you will realize that most of them are ficticious or hardly involved. Renaming the only program they sell is not going to fool the government for long I guess. Think thrice before investing your time, effort and money... SANS / ISC2 would be a better bet anyday. If you want to learn hacking, get a copy of hacking exposed.

Comments

• keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Very interesting finds. However, be advised. Hacking exposed will NOT teach you hacking. Practice, hard work and patience will get you started, and headed in the right direction.
  • bridgerbridger Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That is so much true. Nothing replaces hard work and practice. Nobody likes to be taken for a ride though. Look at their website. They have been trying to milk the security industry announcing a bunch of acronymns like ECSA, ECSP, ECAD, LPT for over an year now. Its quite clever to charge somebody 2800 USD and then finally agree to license them to use a logo http://www.securityuniversity.net/classes_Licensed_Penetration_Tester.php
    Thats not why we are putting our time, money and effort for.
  • silentc1015silentc1015 Member Posts: 128
    bridger wrote:
    That is so much true. Nothing replaces hard work and practice. Nobody likes to be taken for a ride though. Look at their website. They have been trying to milk the security industry announcing a bunch of acronymns like ECSA, ECSP, ECAD, LPT for over an year now. Its quite clever to charge somebody 2800 USD and then finally agree to license them to use a logo http://www.securityuniversity.net/classes_Licensed_Penetration_Tester.php
    Thats not why we are putting our time, money and effort for.

This is very disconcerting, as I just began studying for the CEH exam a week ago. I would hate to think of that as time wasted. Someone else posted in this forum that they actually took a CEH training course and it was quite good. The test also seems fairly rigorous from what the people who've taken it said. Any word on whether or not this cert is still worth having and if this organization is actually legit?
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    keatron wrote:
    However, be advised. Hacking exposed will NOT teach you hacking. Practice, hard work and patience will get you started, and headed in the right direction.
    Whoa, you can't learn "hacking" only from a book? Can I learn to play the piano only by reading a book? How about learning to drive a car by only reading a book? I happen to personally know that everything Kobe Bryant can do on a basketball court he learned only from reading books! icon_rolleyes.gif

The Nevada State link in the first post is now broken. Were there any other details worth reporting??

This is very disconcerting, as I just began studying for the CEH exam a week ago. I would hate to think of that as time wasted.
    The topics of the CEH are worth studying to learn even if you are not taking the CEH itself. Knowledge gained is never wasted.
    jdmurray wrote:
    keatron wrote:
    However, be advised. Hacking exposed will NOT teach you hacking. Practice, hard work and patience will get you started, and headed in the right direction.
    Whoa, you can't learn "hacking" only from a book? Can I learn to play the piano only by reading a book? How about learning to drive a car by only reading a book? I happen to personally know that everything Kobe Bryant can do on a basketball court he learned only from reading books! icon_rolleyes.gif

The Nevada State link in the first post is now broken. Were there any other details worth reporting??

This is very disconcerting, as I just began studying for the CEH exam a week ago. I would hate to think of that as time wasted.
    The topics of the CEH are worth studying to learn even if you are not taking the CEH itself. Knowledge gained is never wasted.

I'm aware. But I'm studying for my own knowledge and interest as well as to have a certification to show for it. If I were studying merely for my own knowledge and pleasure, not in the pursuit of a certification, I could be reading far more interesting books than the EXAM PREP book by Michael Gregg.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Is the EC-Council the same thing as the International Council of E-Commerce Consultants? If so, their Nevada Corp page has then listed as still active.
    JDMurray wrote:
    Is the EC-Council the same thing as the International Council of E-Commerce Consultants? If so, their Nevada Corp page has then listed as still active.

You're correct. Another thing that concerns me is that I've been trying to email them and can't seem to reach them. I am still a little bit concerned about their legitimacy. But, nevertheless, the material is fascinating, fun, and should prove to be very useful regardless of what happens to EC Council and this cert.