How do you list degree incomplete on resume?

I am currently one course away from graduating with a Bachelor's degree. I am currently enrolled in a correspondence course that will satisfy the last remaining course requirement. In the spirit of "don't count your chickens before their hatched" and knowing there is a "resume fraud" problem, how do you list degree incomplete on a resume?

Thank you in advance for your time in replying.

Comments

• win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
    This is how I did it on my interview (name of college is fake for privacy) This should be under your education section also:

September 2006 - Present. University of I.T. Working on Associate degree in Information Technology. Current GPA: 3.5
  • seraphusseraphus Member Posts: 307
    Two examples:

University, City, State
    Degree, Intended date of graduation (date)

University, City, State
    B.S. Candidate, (date of graduation)

Mine:
    North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC
    B.A. in Communication, June, 2006 (GPA: 3.03icon_cool.gif

Strayer University, Cary, NC
    M.B.A. Candidate, December, 2008 (GPA: 4.00)
    Lab first, ask questions later
  • jbayne3jbayne3 Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would recommend the following format:

(Whatever) University
    (Computer Science/Information Systems/Whatever) Major
    - Expect to graduate in (May 2007)
    - Cumulative GPA: (x.xx/4.0)

Certainly, you would want to replace the (parens) with the appropriate information. This is how I structure my resume, and it has worked well for me. With this, you tell them when you plan to graduate, and heck, you can even place another bullet right below the expected graduation and tell them you are one course away from major completion. Also, don't forget to include your certs :D ....they are important!
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Yup, I agree with the others on this one. On my resume, I have the date I expect to finish my A.S. degree. I don't list the date for my B.S., since that's a ways off, but I'm about one semester away from the Associate's degree, so I list it on there.

I have the date listed in this format:

College of Marin - Kentfield, CA
    A.S. Computer Information Systems (2005 - 200icon_cool.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I took a career development course as an elective, and we were taught to list the institution, current gpa or major gpa (if major gpa was over 3.0 but total was not - just omit gpa if both are under 3.0), date started - present, and expected graduation date.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I tend to leave out my GPA. To me, seeing someone's GPA listed on a resume looks a little "junior", like it's being added onto the document in order to pad it, in leau of other credenticals and experience. If an employer asks me for my GPA, I tell them or show them a transcript record. (And I'm proud to say, my last transcript showed my GPA to be 3.8 )

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    Candidate for Bachelor of ________________.
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • seraphusseraphus Member Posts: 307
    Slowhand wrote:
    I tend to leave out my GPA. To me, seeing someone's GPA listed on a resume looks a little "junior", like it's being added onto the document in order to pad it, in leau of other credenticals and experience. If an employer asks me for my GPA, I tell them or show them a transcript record. (And I'm proud to say, my last transcript showed my GPA to be 3.8 )

Unless of course you just graduated, and you're going for a training program
    which requires you to list it, i.e., Cisco ASE program.

I used to think it was junior too, when my GPA was in the toilet. Showing of that
    nice fat GPA lets employers know that you were not only serious about your
    commitment to education, but proved it too! :)

Of course if you graduated several years ago, it's pretty much moot.
    Lab first, ask questions later
  • jbayne3jbayne3 Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    As a student, my GPA is one of my strong points when I interview for jobs and internships, so I list it. Once a gain more experience, I'll eventually drop the GPA. However, it will stay on for at least the next few years.

For some of the computer jobs that I have interviewed for, the GPA has helped me get second interviews and on the narrower list. When competing with seasoned "techies" and other experienced individuals, I must find a way to prove that I know my stuff and prove that I am good at what I do.

I'm going for a Graduate Degree part-time starting next semester (I graduate under-grad this semester). Once I'm done with graduate school, the GPA will probably be uncessesary since the degrees, certs, and experience will speak for themselves :)