Advice needed, CEH

milliampmilliamp Member Posts: 135
I spent some time studying comp-sec when I first got involved in computers (2000 ish).

I think people who know security know quite a bit because it requires so much depth in so many areas.

With that said, I think CEH is probably obtainable for me, but $440 for the official study material and $250 for the exam is a little expensive for something I probably can't put on my resume and would be afraid to have to file to have the $250 exam fee reimbursed by work.

What do you think about it?

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Looking at your current certs I see you have a good foundation and have all the basics covered. I am also guessing you're not interested in obtaining MS certifications. I would offer the opinion to continue down the Cisco route so you are not seen as a "jack-of-all trades master of none". Your experience could easily confirm or deny that label too, but based on your short description here it might confirm it in the eyes of some. So if you continue down the Cisco route you will appear to gain an "expertise" in networking, while your other certs and experience make you "well rounded" instead of the "jack-of-all trades master of none".

BTW - I am in no way stating you are a jack-of-all trades, I'm just offering my opinion of how an HR or other "resume reader" might see you and how you can look better on paper. I'm sure your skills and experience are very good, and whatever you decide you'll be very marketable in 2 years (or even now) should you need to find another job. icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • silentc1015silentc1015 Member Posts: 128
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Looking at your current certs I see you have a good foundation and have all the basics covered. I am also guessing you're not interested in obtaining MS certifications. I would offer the opinion to continue down the Cisco route so you are not seen as a "jack-of-all trades master of none". Your experience could easily confirm or deny that label too, but based on your short description here it might confirm it in the eyes of some. So if you continue down the Cisco route you will appear to gain an "expertise" in networking, while your other certs and experience make you "well rounded" instead of the "jack-of-all trades master of none".

BTW - I am in no way stating you are a jack-of-all trades, I'm just offering my opinion of how an HR or other "resume reader" might see you and how you can look better on paper. I'm sure your skills and experience are very good, and whatever you decide you'll be very marketable in 2 years (or even now) should you need to find another job. icon_cool.gif

Is being seen as a "jack of all trades" a negative thing? Because I've worked at two startup companies with limited resources, I am a bit o a jack of all trades, so, this concerns me. I'm presently trying to develop an expertise in security. This actually requires that you be a bit of a jack of all trades.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Judging by your experience, and what you stated as your interests, I'd agree with sprkymrk and say that you continue down the [url=]http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/learning_career_certifications_and_learning_paths_home.htmlCisco road[/url] to the pro-level certs, and maybe even on to CCIE.

Also, if you're looking to get a bit more in-depth with Unix/Linux, you've got quite a few options. SuSE/Novell, Red Hat, and Sun all have pretty recognizable certs that they offer. You can also look at something vendor-neutral, like the Linux Professional Institute. The LPI certification comes in three levels, from Junior Administrator, all the way up to Professional. The junior and mid-level stages look at general Unix/Linux systems and network administration, and the third level lets you pick specific subjects to work with, such as Samba, LDAP, security concepts, and cross-platform integration.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    with the ccda and the ccnp all you'd need to do is pass the architecture exam to get ccdp.
    but trust me CCDA is WAY HARDER then the CCNA. CCDA is nothing but text book theory crap
    either you do it the cisco way or fail the exam. In the real world you really cant follow the
    book like cisco expects but if you apply real world ideals to the exam i garuentee you, that
    you will fail. You basically have to know the CCDA Bruno book cover to cover, and since the new
    ccda 640-863 is gonna take over when the 640-861 retires in july, the exam will probably get
    harder covering more topics and theory crap then ever before (laughs) any who figured i'd give
    you my instructor advise lol... hope i didnt scare ya away from the ccda icon_lol.gif
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Remember, 2 years is not long and whilst gaining more certs, this time will fly by so I would suggest really knuckling down to the study for the duration to prepare for the worst case scenario.

Nice planning ahead by the way.
    Kam.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is being seen as a "jack of all trades" a negative thing? Because I've worked at two startup companies with limited resources, I am a bit o a jack of all trades, so, this concerns me. I'm presently trying to develop an expertise in security. This actually requires that you be a bit of a jack of all trades.

Well, yes and no depending on the job you are applying for, but from what I have seen (which may not be true everywhere) it seems that to get past the hiring folks you need to show expertise in something - like have an MCSE, or CISSP, or whatever. Actually being a jack-of-all-trades is good, as long as you are also a master on one, instead of master of none.
    All things are possible, only believe.