MCSA/MCSE Windows 2003 or Windows 2000

chilskaterchilskater Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am so confused..which should i take?Because i plan to buy 2nd hand book on Windows 2000. It's from Microsoft Press, a complete package for MCSE..

Comments

• royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well, there's a few things you need to ask yourself. Do you work in an environment that contains Windows 2000 Server? If so, it might be beneficial to you to do the Windows 2000 MCSE track. You will learn quite a bit about Windows 2000 Server even if you skip the Windows 2000 MCSE track and go onto the Windows Server 2003 MCSE track. Just about all material you read/watch will reference differences between 2000 and 2003. Also, the 2000 track will officially be retiring in March of 2008. You can read here for more information.

From looking at your title, it doesn't sound like your company is requiring you to go into the Windows 2000 Server MCSE track. So if there is no dire need to go into the Windows 2000 Server MCSE track, I would definitely start on the Windows Server 2003 MCSE track. Also, there is the Longhorn certifications coming up, but I would still go for the Windows Server 2003 track. The reason I would still go for the Windows Server 2003 track is because Windows 2000 Server and Windows Server 2003 are very alike. They do have many differences behind the scenes but the gui and how to install things are very much alike. Longhorn Server is very different and the gui is very much re-done in addition to there now being a Server Core and how Longhorn Server is now much more modular. Going from 2000 Server to Server 2003 is like going from Windows 2000 to XP while going from Server 2003 to Longhorn is like going from XP to Vista.

Take my word from it, and if you can, skip the Windows 2000 Server MCSE track and go into the Windows Server 2003 MCSE track. You'll be thankful for doing so, as you'll now be able to just do the upgrade exams required to go get certified in Longhorn.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Go with 2003....
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • plettnerplettner Member Posts: 197
    I was in the same boat as you. Shoud I use Windows 2000 books which I could get cheaply and complete the 2000 track or buy the 2003 set and do the 2003 track?

I ended up choosing the 2003 route. It turned out I only need to buy 2 books (70-290 and 291). I had a Windows XP Professional (70-270) book at the time and my A+, Network+ and Server+ counted towards the MSCA.

A lot of businesses and enterprises are moving up to Windows Server 2003 (we are where we work).