Options

Is this switch kit worth it?

Tricon7Tricon7 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 238
I need a switch to go with my two 2500 routers, and I came across this switch kit sold by Cisco through their webiste. It looks like it would suit my purposes - to get me through the CCNA and perhaps a little beyond. One plus is that it's brand new, vs. who-knows-what-I-would-get off eBay used. I would appreciate some input. It's fairly inexpensive at 29.99 with accessories (shipping is another 29.99). Below is the link.

http://www.ciscokits.com/cube/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=55

Comments

• Options
    markzabmarkzab Member Posts: 619
    Try to stay away from 1900's. The CLI is different and they are being phased out of the CCNA exam. Also you won't be able to grow much at all with them. You should be looking more at 2924's and 2950's for example. There's a reason the 1900 is so cheap.
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
  • Options
    georgemcgeorgemc Member Posts: 429
    Tricon7,
    That's NOT sold by Cisco through their website. That's from "ciscokits.com", nothing to do with Cisco's website. Also, it's not brand new, I not sure how you got that impression. Ciscokits does not represent them that way (new that is). Try for a 2900 or 2950 series switch, preferable the 2950.

George
    WGU BS: Business - Information Technology Management
    Start Date: 01 October 2012
    QFT1,PFIT in progress.
    TRANSFERRED/COMPLETED: AGC1,BBC1,LAE1,QBT1,LUT1,QLC1,QMC1,QLT1,IWC1,INC1,INT1,BVC1,CLC1,MGC1, CWV1 BNC1, LIT1,LWC1,QAT1,WFV1,EST1,EGC1,EGT1,IWT1,MKC1,MKT1,RWT1,FNT1,FNC1, BDC1,TPV1 REQUIRED:
  • Options
    DW [banned]DW [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 240
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    the thing with cisco kits is their amazingly highs shipping costs.. $30 to ship a 1912 switch? i sold some subwoofers a few months ago that weighed in at over 60lbs, insured with the signature thing for less than $30... hell.. i bought my rack mounts from them and was charged $18 for shipping... bah..
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    DW [banned]DW [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 240
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    thts cool but don't jack me in the process :-p
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    ignign0ktignign0kt Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I bought a 1900 switch off of eBay... Don't do it.
    Try to find a 25xx switch, it's worth the extra cost.
  • Options
    Tricon7Tricon7 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 238
    Hmm - thanks for the info. I guess I was lured by the low price. The switches even on eBay are pricey (for me anyway - I sell apples on the streetcorner to make ends meet).

I saw this one on eBay. What do you all think about it as something to start with? I may make a bid.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cisco-Systems-Catalyst-2900-Series-XL-24-Port-Switch_W0QQitemZ300106248657QQihZ020QQcategoryZ51256QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
  • Options
    iprouteiproute Member Posts: 269
    I have 2 2912-XL-EN switches and they seem to be getting the job done. Some commands are different, but not many. Make sure it will load the latest IOS mentioned in the thread below before you buy (maybe ask the seller). If everything checks out, I don't see why you shouldn't bid. Just remember that you need at least two switches to do trunking, demonstrate STP, etc. The lights on these switches actually go amber as well when STP sets a port to blocking (unlike the 2950's).

This thread was kind of my switch buying guide:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22455
    CCNP Progress
    ROUTE [X] :: SWITCH [X] :: TSHOOT [X]