Fork in the road...whats next?

snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey Everyone,

Okay, ill try and explain my position as best I can:

Im pursuing my MCSA. I have 270 under my belt. Recently acquired Net+. From here, Im stuck between Security+ (as MCSA elective, AND having another cert), or knocking out 290/291. My goal is to get one of these 3 exams passed by end of the year. One of my instructors at school said he found Sec+ to be easier than Net+, which I found suprising! However, Ive noticed a trend of MCSA persue'rs on the boards to get their Security+ LAST. Im looking for the relatively easy transition from exam to exam.

From your guys' experience, what is the next best step from here?

thanks, all help/suggestions are appreciated!
**** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security

Comments

• seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    Well i dont know about the "sec+ easier than net+ comment" i did very well on the the net+ and didnt study much (i read the techguide here) and the sec+ is the only exam ive failed. Some of the questions are somewhat poorly written and have caused others on this forum to get a fail.

The MS tests do get progressively harder. But some of the material does start to overlap. Its really just up to you. Whatever you want to study at the time being. I get burnt out on MS stuff rather quickly and have to take a break.
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I suppose it is all relative to what a person has more experience with....

To myself and many others the Security+ is harder than the Network+....

I think there is a lot more covered on the Security+ and it requires a higher passing score.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    snadam wrote:
    One of my instructors at school said he found Sec+ to be easier than Net+, which I found suprising!
    Realize that computer networking and security is only part of the vast field of learning that is information security. One can quite easily be an expert in many areas of information security and not have an understanding of even fundamental computer networking. The Security+ exams does require some knowledge of computer networking, but only at a very basic level. Someone who has a lot of experience with the high-level operation and theory of computer security would find the Security+ exam very basic indeed.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote:
    snadam wrote:
    One of my instructors at school said he found Sec+ to be easier than Net+, which I found suprising!
    Realize that computer networking and security is only part of the vast field of learning that is information security. One can quite easily be an expert in many areas of information security and not have an understanding of even fundamental computer networking. The Security+ exams does require some knowledge of computer networking, but only at a very basic level. Someone who has a lot of experience with the high-level operation and theory of computer security would find the Security+ exam very basic indeed.

I would have to tend to agree with you and the rest regarding the degree of difficulty of the Secuirty+ exam. I was more or less sharing my conversation from earlier today with you guys.

I think with a good 2-3 months of studying and experience in the field, I can tackle at least 1 of these exams within the year (maybe a little more studying for 291).

The question is, in which order should I be taking them? I could take Security+ first, then focus completely on the MS exams, or the other way around. I was just wondering from other peoples experience which route they found best.

Again, thanks for all the suggestoins already, and in advance! :D
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't have the Network+ but I've read through a few books on it. The Network+ and Security+ aren't as much difficult as they are extremely broad. Just takes your time and learn at your own pace. I personally found the information on the Security+ to be more foreign to me, as I already had decent networking experience. The Security+ gets pretty into physical security (moats, man traps, etc.) and corporate documents (security plans, HR plans, etc.), neither of which I had a great deal of experience with. Download the $9 ebook from www.syngress.com

The 291 is networking-intensive and will probably be the most difficult exam you take. I'd say getting a Network+ in addition to that might be a little redundant, but it's up to you. You may prefer to start with the Network+ if you feel networking is a weak area for you, so you will be more prepared for the 291.
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    70-290 overlaps a fair bit with 270 and I would advise you to do it next. 291 is a different beast and deals more with networking services rather than operating system maintenance and implementation as 270/290 do, it actually overlaps most with the next (MCSE) phase and 293. If you did want a break I'd do Sec+ between 290 and 291. But there is a lot to be said about training yourself for each vendor's exam style, so even if the exam content does not overlap the simple fact that you keep a Microsoft-mindset without interruption can help. It's down to your own study techniques but I think you'd be better off seeing the Microsoft exams through before switching to Sec+.
    Sec+ is an excellent primer for just about any other security cert you do and is a reasonably tough exam if you don't already have experience in the field (it is definitely much tougher than Net+ taken at an equal level of experience) but very rewarding.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?