"work experience"

Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
Just wondering, when you're writing a resume, should you list work experience thats not relevant? IE, i'm applying for helpdesk job, however, i have no experience in the IT field, but i am not sure if i should list my current and previous job (walmart and mcdonalds...).

any thoughts?
Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I agree. Even if there is no IT experience, include what skills/responsibilities you had or performed. Employers are big on communication/interpersonal skills, organization, reliability, etc.

Also be prepared to be questioned about your strengths and weaknesses. That one sucks :D
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    yeah i got that one at walmart and a few other places i've applied to.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Since HelpDesk work is traditionally entry-level, there is no harm in listing all your previous work experience. Recruiters realize we all have to start somewhere. In my resume, I also posted a section that included "Hobbies", that listed IT-related things I had experience with but have not been paid for (including webpage design with Dreamweaver, Macromedia Flash, ColdFusion development, etc). If you have built your own PC, mention that. Avoid being too "wordy", but also convey the message that you know what you're doing.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • bobbyairtimebobbyairtime Inactive Imported Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i agree. you should put down everything that you have done in the past regardless to it's involvement in IT. however, as a recruiter for an IT staffing firm, myself, i will say that i don't really look at hobbies too much. I also consider length of employment, as well. If you have held a job down for more than a year, that means you are pretty loyal. loyalty counts for a lot these days. i don't spend a great deal of time on candidates that have jumped around from job to job for the past five, six years.
  • JammywanksJammywanks Member Posts: 127
    dynamik wrote:
    Also be prepared to be questioned about your strengths and weaknesses. That one sucks :D
    That is a ball busting question indeed. My suggestion is to maybe bring up a story about a pushy customer who was pissed and wanted their expired coupons to work and you had to explain to the b!tch why they were no longer valid. And you didn't back down, and you resolved the issue without a sweat.

I just had two personal interviews after prelim phone interviews. BOTH interviews asked me how I dealt with difficult people. So.... this advice I would be selling to you for $10. But I will give it to you for free. Let them know you can deal with difficult, frustrated end users. Its always a plus. Infact it weighs in more than technical know-how.
    CCNA Lab: Two 1720's, one 2520, two 2924XL switches
    [IPCop box] PIII 1GHz | 512MB RAM | 1 Gig Compact Flash HD
    Errors in your CCNA text book? Never mind, the authors don't care.
    darby, I didn't mean to offend. i was merely getting at the fact that it costs a company a lot of money to train a new network engineer every 6-8 months or so. the clients we have are not looking to hire someone, spend a lot on training and then watch them take another opportunity and have to start all over. my clients don't want that to happen and that is the reason that i wouldn't look to much at someone who job hops.
    sunil, you have a good point. people become good or they become comotose. I guess you and i would both know since we both do the same thing. how's Vienna? icon_wink.gif
  • coldbugcoldbug Member Posts: 189
    i need a job!!
    i will work for free..just pay me for parking
    i will eat noodles, and live with homeless if i have to.
    i just need an IT job...please
    i am serious!
    "If you want to kick the tiger in his ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth."
  • markzabmarkzab Member Posts: 619
    coldbug wrote:
    i need a job!!
    i will work for free..just pay me for parking
    i will eat noodles, and live with homeless if i have to.
    i just need an IT job...please
    i am serious!

Stop being so greedy. icon_lol.gif
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
  • candycorncandycorn Member Posts: 52 ■■■□□□□□□□
    move to Seattle, we always have crap here too. I dont think I've ever NOT had an IT-related job. But maybe I'm lucky? We have high minimum wage too!
    icon_twisted.gif
    ITIL, CompTIA A+, CompTIA Healthcare IT Tech, MTA: Server Fundamentals, MCP, Apple Certified Associate, CIW Associate
    Ok..just give me half of the parking fares..i will rob 7 Eleven <one over here where i live looks pretty dark at night> for the other half to pay myself.
    For shelter, i ain't moving to Seatle if there is no good shelter...i will get wet dude.

Guys..i think i am going insane for not landing a single interview within 6 months.
    which Recruiting company should i go in for rampage?
    RHT or Tek?

hmm....
    "If you want to kick the tiger in his ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth."
    icon_cry.gif

I was just joking, jeez Darby. Such a low blow. If I had my chance to be homeless, I'd rather be in Florida too.

I know a good portion of help desk positions will actually train you 3-5 weeks prior to taking calls. Especially if you plan on working with telephony or an ISP. I've always wondered if the MS helpdesk was any good.

Sometimes they requre a few months to a year customer service, but usually they dont look at a technical background.

I'll stop talking now.
    ITIL, CompTIA A+, CompTIA Healthcare IT Tech, MTA: Server Fundamentals, MCP, Apple Certified Associate, CIW Associate
    candycorn,

Move to where the jobs are.

I'm like the guys above - always had a job pretty much so, but there are jobs here especially if you are humble and it seems you are sounding sincere.

Darby, i am very sincere about this..just having a Catch 22 problem
    I moved to LA from D.C, because of Security Clearence.
    I am not a US citizen, and most jobs in D.C Require.
    I almost got a job as Tier 1 Tech support, but rejected for not being a citizen.

LA has so many more opportunites...i hope
    icon_sad.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_evil.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif:oicon_confused.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_twisted.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
    .22 or .9mm?
    or should i go with both? hmm
    anyone know where TEK Systems headquarters is?

To site moderators,
    i am just kidding ok! dont lock me out!
    I cant imagine trying to apply for citizenship. I've heard the exam is pretty tough.
    i have work permit with no restrictions, so i have little chance to get an entry-level job that is non governmental.
    Any way, why do these entry level jobs such as Help Desk require Top Secret Clearence?
    Is it necessary, because these jobs might have physical access to servers or government related softwares?

and one more question
    Oscar de la Hoya <or> May Weather?
  • mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
    coldbug wrote:
    and one more question
    Oscar de la Hoya <or> May Weather?

This is the third post I've seen from asking about Mayweather or De La Hoya....Oscar's gonna get rocked in the 5th.
    Working on Linux+