"Cattle Farmers"

blackmage439blackmage439 Member Posts: 163
So, what is your opinion of (or experience with) recruitment agencies such as Robert Half Tech, TekSystems, or Manpower, just to name a few? I've heard success stories, as well as disappointing tales of zero call-backs and dead-ends. I am asking because I have a person from Robert Half that I need to decide to call back or not... Thanks for any help you can give me.
"Facts are meaningless. They can be used to prove anything!"
- Homer Simpson

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    As you can see in your post, we actually added the second one to our word censor because they spammed here a couple of times. I wouldn't want to work for or through those spammers. But there 'are' good recruiters so if you are looking for a (better) job, it may be worth a closer look. Just make sure you look very closely. They do often make jobs sound better than they are; providing slightly-overqualified professionals makes their clients happy.
  • candycorncandycorn Member Posts: 52 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think they underpay most people. I worked for Manpower, Volt & xxxxxxx to name a few. (Mods can edit this post if need be). I'd much rather work for the actual employer vs. the contract labor services. Our benefits are trash, and our pay is pretty bad. But thats my opinion.
    ITIL, CompTIA A+, CompTIA Healthcare IT Tech, MTA: Server Fundamentals, MCP, Apple Certified Associate, CIW Associate
  • +CNENT++CNENT+ Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My experience with them in general is the contract is never how long they say it's going to be. So if they say 6 months, figure it to be 3-4 months. Luckily I got hired on permanent a few months ago where I'm at. Don't have to deal with those agencies anymore, and I've worked for many of them over the past several years, none that you've listed though.

They're good cause it gives you a chance to prove yourself to their client. Of course the client talks, and you are given other contracts once that one is done if it doesn't go permanent based on the good word of the client.

I have one that still calls even though I have a permanent position, and even though I've had to turn down several temp positions, cause of my permament one, they still contact me, and will give anyone I send a spot with no problem. All of this because of how I did on my contracts with them. Don't think the client doesn't talk, cause they do.

If you don't get a call back either they already filled it, or the client has said it's filled, which is usually by another agency. Clients usually use multiple agencies to fill spots. I've even seen agencies use another agency to fill a spot.
  • Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
    TERRIBLE!!!!!!! especially RHT.

I signed on with them in october, and they have never called me, ever. That is pathetic, i called the other day about a postign i found for them, and the lady said my account exec left and never even told me about it.

they don't care about you, and will not think twice about screwing you over. Don't be nice to these people :D:D
    i herd u leik mudkips lol
  • bobbyairtimebobbyairtime Inactive Imported Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    well, i can see i might not be well liked in here. i am a recruiter for a staffing firm.....not one of those big ones where you are only a number to them though. i work for a small firm. we only do direct hire situations and no contract positions. i am not one of "those" people that will make something look better than it is, or lie about pay or anything like that. these were obvisously some shady people if they can't even call you back. but that is the problem with these big national firms. everyone is just a number to them. there are no people. In other words, there are good recruiters out there, just don't deal with the shady ones.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    well, i can see i might not be well liked in here. i am a recruiter for a staffing firm.....not one of those big ones where you are only a number to them though. i work for a small firm. we only do direct hire situations and no contract positions. i am not one of "those" people that will make something look better than it is, or lie about pay or anything like that. these were obvisously some shady people if they can't even call you back. but that is the problem with these big national firms. everyone is just a number to them. there are no people. In other words, there are good recruiters out there, just don't deal with the shady ones.

Well we try not to pre-judge anyone here Tim. You can offer a good point of view for us. However, this is a forum focussed on IT certifications for IT people. As a recruiter, I would ask are you here just to develop contacts or are you interested in becoming certified too? Since one of the end results desired by many who obtain certifications is to land a good job, I would not say you are unwelcome on this board at all.

BTW - I lived in Kalamazoo as a youngster for 4 years. I remember taking the bus downtown as a grade schooler to shop at the Hilton. I was there for the big blizzard of 77 or 78, and also the tornado that ripped apart a lot of the city around that same time frame.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • bobbyairtimebobbyairtime Inactive Imported Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sprkymrk, The reason i am here is three-fold. a couple years ago, i was just into recruiting and didn't know anything about IT business. Then i had a placement at an IT firm. as a good recruiter i did my homework and started to learn a little about certifications, different paths, al this stuff and it really started to get interesting to me. so i continued researching and eventually decided i wanted to get certified. so, it took me a while, but i got ccna, since i still had my position as a recruiter. that is my main job, but i try to fit in time where i can learn more things and try out different things. we actually share our office in Kalamazoo with an ISP in the area. so they show me around and help me out a lot. so, back to what i was saying. the reason i am here is three-fold: I like getting contacts for my job as a recruiter so that i can get placements. 2. like you said, i can offer a different point of view and answer questions about jobs/interviews/resumes. 3. I would like to continue and get more experience in IT, get more certifications and possibly land a job in IT myself. I hope this explains my motives a little more.
  • blackmage439blackmage439 Member Posts: 163
    Wow, thanks for the responses everyone! Like I said, I've heard both good and bad things about staffing firms myself. For instance, I know someone who was employed by TS for many years, and just recently signed-on with Manpower, making over 50k annually (I believe).

I guess I'll just remember to be careful with whom-so-ever I'm dealing with at these firms...

Thanks! :D
    "Facts are meaningless. They can be used to prove anything!"
    - Homer Simpson