Options

ipv6 over FR

EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
I noticed a problem with ipv6 over FR using a partial mesh.
I have 3 routers A,B and C all connected to a FR switch. R1 is acting as the hub with dlcis connecting R2 and R3.R1 is using a multipoint config so all routers are on the same subnet 2000:1:1:1::/64

All my mappings are correct, R1 can ping the serial int on R2 and R3 but R2 cant ping R3 and vice versa.Keep in mind these interfaces are all on the same subnet and there are no routing protocols to consider.If i set the same thing up with ipv4 it works a charm.
Strange if you ask me! Can anyone shed some light?
Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$

Comments

• Options
    DW [banned]DW [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 240
  • Options
    Have you tried map the link link-local ipv6 addresses i.e. FE80::1, FE80::2, etc.?

HTH

Darby

I mapped the link local next hop address in each case, if i didnt i would'nt have been able to ping any interface. The link local address consists of FE80:0:0:0 and the mac extended with FFFE, you are confusing the all nodes and all routers multicast FF02::1 and FF02::2.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    We'll i've tried to reproduce the problem i was having yesterday to no avail, its working now with the same config that i used yesterday(as far as i can see),maybe i missed something but as i nuked my config a couple of times yesterday so i'm a little puzzled, i was using the eui-64 addresses so maybe i screwed something up with copy/paste but i did treble check, maybe tiredness?.I'll put it down to a dynamips issue, im not sure but my brain is sore from trying various combinations.

Just a note on your below config Darby,you seem to be mapping that link-local address incorrectly.On the spokes you only need to map the link-local address of R1's interface to the local dlci.If routes are learned via a routing protocol, they will be received by R4 from R1, the routes will have a next-hop equal to the FE80 address of the R1 serial interface.So to make the next-hop reachable you only need to map this next-hop address to local dlci.
    Also you dont need to map R4's link local addresses to the local dlci as you should be able to ping it regardless, i've noticed ipv6 behaves a little different than ipv4 in this case, with ipv6 you can ping the local ip addresses without having to configure a map.

R4:
    interface Serial0/0/0
    frame-relay map ipv6 FE80::214:6AFF:FE84:B08 401 (this is this router's link-local address)
    frame-relay map ipv6 FE80::217:E0FF:FEC9:B1B0 401 (this is R3's link-local address)
    frame-relay map ipv6 2000::1 401 broadcast