Options

My Job and a Request for Help!!

BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
Before I present my dilemma, here's some background on myself: I have graduated with a BS in CS last May, and have been working as an IT Analyst for almost a year now. I primarily create performance test scripts which are used for capacity planning on various internal/external applications of our company.

My problem is this: I feel like I'm very underworked here, and often find myself bored stiff. This is not to say I don't really enjoy what I've been doing; it's just that there isn't ENOUGH of what I do that needs to be done (can anyone say tongue-twister)? :)

I have bi-weekly meetings with my supervisor, and have told him on several occassions that I feel I am capable of much more than what I have been doing (yet still convey the message that I also enjoy the tasks I am given). He has encouraged me on getting certified (MCSE and MCTS: SQL Server are future certs), and has provided some guidance on how to position myself for more responsibility. There has also been discussion of pursuing my Masters part-time starting next year, since my company reimburses this. My supervisor has clearly shown interest in my career development, so it's not like he isn't listening.

My problem is that this doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere! I don't know if this is just the nature of IT and I just need to be more patient, or if I need to look for an alternative position (preferably within this company since I love being here, despite being bored). I am a very active person outside of work, who works out 5 days a week, LIVES outdoors, and generally can't stay still for a long period of time. I feel that I need more responsibility NOW, and am tired of struggling to find something to do. If I have to be here, I might as well bust my ass in the process (within the confines of an 8-5 shift) :)

I also feel that I need a heavier workload to really prove to my manager exactly what I'm capable of. If I'm not really being challenged, how will he (and my co-workers) really know how good I am? Sometimes I feel like I'm viewed as the "new kid" at the age of 23, and I may be dismissed from taking on responsibility because of that. I should also mention that every project I have been held accountable for has been successfull (at least on my end) and on time. I admit when I make mistakes, take advice from others, and make it a goal to learn something new every day.

I am very passionate about IT and what it offers, and am willing to do whatever it takes to not only succeed, but to be the best at what I do, whatever that may be. Please share your thoughts, comments, opinions, etc!
MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)

Comments

• Options
    EverlifeEverlife Member Posts: 253 ■■■□□□□□□□
    BeaverC32 wrote:
    Before I present my dilemma, here's some background on myself: I have graduated with a BS in CS last May, and have been working as an IT Analyst for almost a year now. I primarily create performance test scripts which are used for capacity planning on various internal/external applications of our company.

My problem is this: I feel like I'm very underworked here, and often find myself bored stiff. This is not to say I don't really enjoy what I've been doing; it's just that there isn't ENOUGH of what I do that needs to be done (can anyone say tongue-twister)? :)

I have bi-weekly meetings with my supervisor, and have told him on several occassions that I feel I am capable of much more than what I have been doing (yet still convey the message that I also enjoy the tasks I am given). He has encouraged me on getting certified (MCSE and MCTS: SQL Server are future certs), and has provided some guidance on how to position myself for more responsibility. There has also been discussion of pursuing my Masters part-time starting next year, since my company reimburses this. My supervisor has clearly shown interest in my career development, so it's not like he isn't listening.

My problem is that this doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere! I don't know if this is just the nature of IT and I just need to be more patient, or if I need to look for an alternative position (preferably within this company since I love being here, despite being bored). I am a very active person outside of work, who works out 5 days a week, LIVES outdoors, and generally can't stay still for a long period of time. I feel that I need more responsibility NOW, and am tired of struggling to find something to do. If I have to be here, I might as well bust my ass in the process (within the confines of an 8-5 shift) :)

I also feel that I need a heavier workload to really prove to my manager exactly what I'm capable of. If I'm not really being challenged, how will he (and my co-workers) really know how good I am? Sometimes I feel like I'm viewed as the "new kid" at the age of 23, and I may be dismissed from taking on responsibility because of that. I should also mention that every project I have been held accountable for has been successfull (at least on my end) and on time. I admit when I make mistakes, take advice from others, and make it a goal to learn something new every day.

I am very passionate about IT and what it offers, and am willing to do whatever it takes to not only succeed, but to be the best at what I do, whatever that may be. Please share your thoughts, comments, opinions, etc!

I'm in a similar position as you. I'm 26 and graduated college with a bachelors in accounting and was hired at my current company as a financial analyst. While I never minded accounting, computers have always been my passion.

I expressed interest in getting involved with our computer forensics program as well as some network administration. Eventually, I was given the opportunity to work help manage the network and process some of the forensic jobs. I've always loved learning, and figured the certifications would be a great way to expand my mind and improve my job performance. I started getting certified in 2005 and am constantly studying for exam after exam. I've also taken numerous high-level computer forensic training courses as well as getting certified in our forensics software.

I'm running into the same hurdles you are. I've received tons of praise from the trustees I've worked on cases for, have completely reworked our network and improved security, and taken over (removed the old person working in the forensics area) our computer forensics program and gotten it to the point it should have been at five years ago. However, I'm still viewed as the "kid" because I am the youngest person at our company. The head network administrator has very limited experience and is slow to work on his certifications, however, he's 50 and age seems to mean a lot at this company.

My workload is similar, although it can spike to 65-hour weeks (very rare.) Since I absolutely hate downtime, I've used that time to study up for certs and make IT-related proposals to the higher-ups. Some get approved, and some gather dust. The key thing is they know I am interested in doing more and making productive use of my downtime.

I would suggest the same to you. Continue working on your certs, and keep your boss notified about your interests. It sounds like you're doing everything right, just have patience. Whatever the case, you're getting good experience and your certs and masters degree will be paid for. ;)
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply -- glad I'm not the only one in this situation. I think I have been very patient, it's just that it drives me crazy having nothing to do! Let's hope we can get a response from somebody who has hired/interviewed/promoted an employee before. It would be interesting to hear from someone on the other side of this situation.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    I appreciate the reply. However, the job roles in my group are so specific that the tasks that you listed aren't practical for me to perform (whether it be due to a lack of permissions, access to hardware, etc). I have taken initiative on various tasks (created automated monitors for client-side apps, documented our test environment and testing procedures, organized departments filesharing system, etc).

I admit I'm not sure how to go about performing some of these other tasks that aren't related to my job without coming across as arrogant and "stepping on others toes". I'm not a Network Admin/Engineer -- again, my group focuses on capacity planning, i.e. are the systems powerful enough to handle future work load (1 year, 2 years, and further out)?

I'll definitely re-evaluate what I've been doing and try to identify areas of opportunity. I suppose if it was easy, we wouldn't be paid the big bucks :)
  • Options
    Just a follow up:

I have been poking around one of our new J2EE applications, and have identified a potential bottleneck in the garbage collection. Your point was taken, Darby, and with a little extra effort I was able to take the reigns on an effort that could potentially improve performance by a ton.

I guess before looking outward on what's wrong, I should have taken a closer look at my methods and habits. A valuable lesson learned through a simple exchange of words on this forum. Thanks!
  • Options
    coldbugcoldbug Member Posts: 189
    Oscar De la Hoya or May Weather?
    "If you want to kick the tiger in his ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth."
  • Options
    mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
    coldbug wrote:

Mayweather
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    seraphusseraphus Member Posts: 307
    coldbug wrote:

Mayweather, without doubt.
    Lab first, ask questions later
  • Options
    coldbugcoldbug Member Posts: 189
    BOOOOOO!!!!!
    "If you want to kick the tiger in his ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth."