Options

"Typical" Salary Increase?

BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
Sorry if this has been asked before...

My yearly review is coming up, and was wondering what kind of salary increase I should expect. I realize there are many variables that play into what I will see, but typically, what is the % increase in salary 1st year employees in IT usually get? I've been told before that the first few years are usually when you see the biggest increase in salary (with exceptions, of course).
MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)

Comments

• Options
    seraphusseraphus Member Posts: 307
    BeaverC32 wrote:

My yearly review is coming up, and was wondering what kind of salary increase I should expect. I realize there are many variables that play into what I will see, but typically, what is the % increase in salary 1st year employees in IT usually get? I've been told before that the first few years are usually when you see the biggest increase in salary (with exceptions, of course).

I would say that salary increases range from 6-8%, depending on location,
    market conditions, and cap limits for job titles. Of course, I have seen
    salary increases at 3%, and 20% for first year techs. icon_eek.gif
    Lab first, ask questions later
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    BeaverC32 wrote:

You should expect nothing unless other wise stipulated in a contract when you were hired. I feel raises are given to those who work hard, not on a yearly policy because someone has been employed with a company a certain length of time.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    garv221 wrote:
    BeaverC32 wrote:

You should expect nothing unless other wise stipulated in a contract when you were hired. I feel raises are given to those who work hard, not on a yearly policy because someone has been employed with a company a certain length of time.

Nah. As long as they are doing the required tasks at a competant level, they at least need a cost of living increase, typically 2% or so. If they go above and beyond or show exceptional skill, then the sky is the limit. If they can't perform at an acceptable level, rather than give no raise or a pay cut you just get rid of them like they do in the Armed Forces. You move up or you move out.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    The majority of employers will keep the employee within a reasonable amount, every job I have left I had offers to stay. However, giving a 2% raise every year because your body is warm is unfair. Cost of living goes up yes, but that is all they should get. If an employee is utilizing their new found experience that they are getting paid to learn and then going above and beyond and showing initiative then they deserve a handsome raise. Giving raises for no apparent reason stimulates laziness and hands out syndrome.