A+ / Net+ equivalant certs???

esrink1esrink1 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I remember reading a post (a few months ago) about being eligible for another orgs. certifications based on passing CompTIA's A+/Net+ exams. Does anyone know if there's any truth to that and how beneficial it is? Just curious. icon_confused.gif:

Thanks
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comments

• dabve3dabve3 Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You can use A+/Network+ as an elective towards your MCSA certification from Microsoft. I did this when I went for my MCSA. I am guessing that is what you are looking for.
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    U are eligible for CST and CNST which you just paid for a piece of paper....
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • BookFellaBookFella Member Posts: 65 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can "roll over" your A+ and Network+ to CST and CNST . Here's the link.
  • matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    What is the advantage of rolling over those CompTIA certifications into the CST or the CNST?
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    matradley wrote:
    What is the advantage of rolling over those CompTIA certifications into the CST or the CNST?

You get a membership with ETA-International

Other than that there really isn't much benefit to it... I went for it to take advantage of the practice tests from Studyexam4less

I also think that it is slightly helpful for employers who don't know any better and they see you have more letters after your name.... Might give you an edge over someone else... Might not.
    matradley wrote:

Other than that there really isn't much benefit to it... I went for it to take advantage of the practice tests from Studyexam4less

I also think that it is slightly helpful for employers who don't know any better and they see you have more letters after your name.... Might give you an edge over someone else... Might not.
    It looks fairly expensive to do this. To do the A+ and the A+ and N+ combination, it would be well over 100 USD.
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
    matradley wrote:
    matradley wrote:

It looks fairly expensive to do this. To do the A+ and the A+ and N+ combination, it would be well over 100 USD.
    I decided to take the plunge for a bit of money. I found that there are a few benefits to having these certifications. I might end up enticing a potential employer! :D
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    matradley wrote:
    I decided to take the plunge for a bit of money. I found that there are a few benefits to having these certifications. I might end up enticing a potential employer! :D
    Before spending money for certs to make yourself more employable, search the job postings on some of the major job boards and see if any employers are actually asking for the cert(s) that you are thinking of getting. You might not want to spend the money on certs that few employers are asking for.
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    dabve3 wrote:
    You can use A+/Network+ as an elective towards your MCSA certification from Microsoft. I did this when I went for my MCSA. I am guessing that is what you are looking for.
    this is off topic from this thread but if i had my A+ and 70-620 (vista client exam) could i use one for an elective towards MCSA and one for an elective towards MCSE?

thanks...
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
    JDMurray wrote:
    matradley wrote:
    Before spending money for certs to make yourself more employable, search the job postings on some of the major job boards and see if any employers are actually asking for the cert(s) that you are thinking of getting. You might not want to spend the money on certs that few employers are asking for.
    True. I have noticed many employers looking for the regular certifications like MCSE, CNA, CCNA, and the like. I have only seen a couple ask for Citrix.
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    this is off topic from this thread but if i had my A+ and 70-620 (vista client exam) could i use one for an elective towards MCSA and one for an elective towards MCSE?

thanks...

You can't use A+ as an elective for neither MCSA nor MCSE, only A+ with Network+ or Server+ can be used as elective for MCSA ONLY.

But 70-620 appears to be a valid elective for BOTH MCSA AND MCSE.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/windows2003/default.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/windows2003/default.mspx
    Jack of all trades, master of none