security clearance

Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
So as i browse through monster.com in IT jobs, i see a lot of entry level jobs that i could be doing in a few months.

unfortunently, they all seem to require secret security clearance, as they do gov't work.

how does a civilian with no military background get security clearance?

I mean these jobs want CCNA and MCP. two things i'm not far from having. Unfortunately, they want secret clearance.. i've done some searching on google but nothing really caught my eye.
Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Most of the time it's former military that enter the job market with an active clearence. Otherwise, an employer has to sponsor you and initiate the process. To my knowledge there is no way for an individual to "request" a clearence just to have one. Additionally the process is expensive, usually over $5000.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    Just apply for the job and if they want you, they WILL pay to have your clearance processed. Until your clearance goes through, they will issue you an interim clearnace, so you can start working on certain things. Apply anyway, and don't let descriptions or requirements scare you. This is how many non-military people get their clearances...apply, the employers wants you, they process and pay for your clearnace, and now you are golden icon_lol.gif . Good luck!!
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    I assume that it's the same over there as it is here. I had a civil servant job a few years ago, and they needs security clearance just like any government job). They actually did all the checks on me and I didn't have to pay anything, lets face it, if they want you and you require security clearance they should sort it out. However in my case the time from the interview to actually sitting behind a desk was about 1 year. Don't know if it's the same now as then or if it's the same in the US as the UK, but that's my experience.

-ken