Options

Which path to take for a beginner?

KenjinKenjin Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I am quite new to networking, but I have been trying to self teach myself CCNA at home with the cisco academy and other material.

I decided to go for the boot camp course in India next month to complete my training. I have been in contact with the MD of one of the companies and he said because I have no real Networking experience that I must complete my MCSE 2003 first before I move onto the Cisco CCNA?

This doesn't sound correct to me, and as the MCSE 2003 is a much longer course and much more expensive, I am thinking that he's maybe trying to increase his business out of me.

Can anyone advise please?

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That sounds like he doesn't have any networking experience either or he wouldn't have made such a dumb statement. The MCSE has nothing to do with Cisco and vice versa. Now if he had said "Network Essentials" or "Network+" I would agree. However, if you want to do the CCNA, go for it. You don't need to know Windows for that.
    Good luck!
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    KenjinKenjin Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply,

Thats exactly what I thought, I couldn't see why I need to learn Microsoft first? I was seeing if there was any prerequisite for the CCNA before I could take the course or maybe an introduction course to get me up to speed with other pupils,

This company was on my shortlist, its now been struck off my list,

It worries me that if these companies are only concerned about their business and not the quality of the teaching.

Has anyone here done a course over in India?
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    sprkymrk wrote:
    That sounds like he doesn't have any networking experience either or he wouldn't have made such a dumb statement. The MCSE has nothing to do with Cisco and vice versa. Now if he had said "Network Essentials" or "Network+" I would agree. However, if you want to do the CCNA, go for it. You don't need to know Windows for that.
    Good luck!

Exactly!...go for what interests you the most you dont have to take MS Exams to pass your CCNA.
    Kenjin wrote:
    This doesn't sound correct to me, and as the MCSE 2003 is a much longer course and much more expensive, I am thinking that he's maybe trying to increase his business out of me.
    That sounds like it could be very true, if my memory serves me right the MCSE is 7 exams while CCNA is completed with either a single exam or the INTRO & ICND.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Kenjin wrote:
    I have been in contact with the MD of one of the companies and he said because I have no real Networking experience that I must complete my MCSE 2003 first before I move onto the Cisco CCNA?

Can anyone advise please?

Very simple.. He is playing you! If he manages to conn you into their MCSE course they get more money out of you. After that I personally wouldn't touch them with a very long pole.

Of course, this starts of the whole debate again of why you need this service when your money would be far better spent investing in some cheap ebay equipment and a couple of good books and save yourself a lot of money. Commitment (which you are already showing), some hands on experience even if it isn't in a live production environment and good old hard studying and you can get this off your own back..... Then use the money you saved by taking yourself on a well earned holiday to celebrate your hard earned CCNA.

It's what best suits you in the end. Either way, you are going to be the one hitting the study material and doing the work and the experimenting. There is no easy way to get the CCNA. Well, there is but there is a whole other debate about how long the short cut certifiers last in a job before they are found out and booted out the door with their reputation in tatters.
    Kam.