Options

Value of Network + exam

DamienMDamienM Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All
Can anyway suggest the significance or the Network+ exam in today's Networking environment. I.E Is it really worth the money or should I go straight to CCNA and CNE certifications?? Thanx :)
Damien Mallon

Comments

• Options
    faisalbalochfaisalbaloch Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    well it is more of a general concepts of networking which involve basic of TCP/IP as well if you have basic networking concepts then go for CCNA other wise or if you want to strengthen your concepts then otherwise.
    BUT it is worth it for starter!
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Recently got my first short-term job in IT. Since I had A+ and Network+,
    I got paid more per hour than someone who didn't have both certs. So, I think that it's worth it.

The resume value, at least to some HR person who understands Net+ exam, should be enough to make a difference. But, I don't really know if employers really understand what the Possession of this cert really indicates.

The value of the knowledge gained while studying for the exam if combined with a little simple home laboratory work, can be a really rewarding undertaking. On the above mentioned job, my knowledge of LANs gained from study and practice really help me keep my job a little longer than others did.

This is my experience. Don't know anything about Cisco certs yet.

Conclusion: it sure can't hurt to have Net+ cert!!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think the Net+ Cert. is very valuable because it basically says that you have the knowledge and understanding of basic networking which will become very valuable when you decide to achive other Certs. Like CCNA\MCSE...The A+ and Net+ gives you a solid foundation on the hardware\OS and networking . I personally think that people that are in the IT field should be at least A+ and Net+ Certified. If I were interviewing people for and IT support position I would probably not even look at the resumes that do not have at least 1 of the 2 Certs.
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • Options
    scandscand Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm finding that these certifications are quite important. I'm a recent college grad and am losing to applicants with certifications. Every job I've applied for has wanted some form of a certification. Even with a degree things aren't that peachy icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    Those guys probably had a bit more experience too.. That is the key.. Experience..

My opinion about the net+

It is a brief stop on the career path, and icing on the cake. Not necesary by any means, but for instance, helps me with basics and is an elective for my mcsa.
    Xinxing is the hairy one.
  • Options
    DamienMDamienM Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Guys. Guess I will sit the exam then. Sure can't hurt. :P
    Damien Mallon