Options

Ubuntu Installation

kenny504kenny504 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 237 ■■□□□□□□□□
I get a prompt at the cd boot.

Install base system type server.
For default installation press enter.

Whats that? What does it mean by base system.

LOL....i'm new to linux so dont be too hard on me. But seriously whats the difference between Ubuntu's base system and the default system
There is no better than adversity, every defeat, every loss, every heartbreak contains its seed. Its own lesson on how to improve on your performance the next time.

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Chances are, the "base system" refers to the basic OS with out a lot of bells and whistles. You'll probably not get any type of GUI, productivity software, or anything like that. Considering that the command to install it is "server", then I'd guess it'll probably install select server applications, probably along the lines of BIND, Samba, sendmail, that sort of thing. From the sounds of it, the "default system" is probably more of the desktop type of install, where you get either Gnome of KDE installed as your desktop GUI, probably OpenOffice and FireFox, along with other end-user tools that you wouldn't see on a server. If you're new to Linux, I'd recommend doing the default system install, and experiment with the server environment when you've got a little bit more experience.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Also, one thing with Ubuntu is that there is the option to boot from the CD and use Ubuntu without actually installing it. This allows you to explore some of the features of Ubuntu before you decide whether or not you want to use it.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    Yes the base system is basically a stripped down system, no X windows, and it doesn't install all the unnecessary apps you really don't need on a server such as games ...etc.
  • Options
    kenny504kenny504 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 237 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yea. Thanks alot guys. Well I played around with the Live cd that allowed me to boot fron cd and enjoy the distro. but I'm ready to install now.

Thanks again for all the comments.
    There is no better than adversity, every defeat, every loss, every heartbreak contains its seed. Its own lesson on how to improve on your performance the next time.
  • Options
    securinatesecurinate Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just got done installing Ubuntu 7.04 a couple days ago and I've run into an issue with the sound card. Has anyone had this issue yet and if so how did you fix it? Thanks in advance!

Here is the output from lspci:

00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SB450 HDA Audio (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems Unknown device ff00
    Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 64, IRQ 18
    Memory at d0500000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Installed Fiesty a couple of days ago and love it. Have XP dual boot for a couple of games i have yet to setup in wine.

Cant comment on audio as mines a AC'97 chip.

As for the OP install the base and work up from there, like a house, install the foundations then what rooms etc you want after.

Saying that though most of what im doing at the mo will be in backtrack 2
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    securinatesecurinate Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    nevermind, after searching throughout the ubuntu forums I was finally able to figure it out. too bad my video card sucks, cause beryl and avant windows manager are pretty cool for eye candy purposes.