Using 2 LAN cards..

coookiescoookies Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

Just wordering, I have a cable modem (Motorola SB4200) and my PC has two LAN cards.. everytime i swich LAN cards.. I have to restart my PC and off the modem in order to get an IP.. whew..

Is there a way where in I don't have to re-start everytime I change LAN cards.. (Have two lan cards just for experiment..)

thanks.. icon_smurf.gif

Comments

• RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Umm - what is your setup?
    What is your OS?

A little more info would be way helpful ...
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • coookiescoookies Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Oooww.. sorry.. my OS is Windows XP Pro

Its a personal pc dow..
    have no hub or router.. only the Motorola modem conncted to my card..

Using an AMD box 2500+ w/ 512mem
    Gigabyte 7VAXP-A Ultra

thanks icon_smurf.gif
  • matts5074matts5074 Member Posts: 148
    Not sure why you'd want 2 LAN cards unless you have a use for both of them. But I can't say anything cuz I love my dual Netgear's. :D

Keep them both on auto assign.

Start, All Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt.

Type "ipconfig /renew" (without the quotes) to send a request to the DHCP server for an IP. That will get you a new IP without having to restart. icon_cool.gif
    Thanks for the reply.. but using the ipconfig /renew wont work.. it will only give me an ip range of 168.x.x.x and 192.x.x.x
    Ive tried it many times and the only work around so far is restarting the PC and turning of/on the cable modem.. icon_sad.gif

I've already tried using ipconfig /flushdns still wont work.. (Dont know whats the use dow..)

any idea?

icon_smurf.gif
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Is there any reason why you can't/won't use a static IP on one or both of the cards?
  • STexamsSTexams Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I also have 2 LAN cards in my Laptop. When I switch, I open a command prompt window and simply type IPCONFIG /RELEASE and then IPCONFIG /RENEW, that releases the last DHCP configuration and picks up a new one.
    Freddy
    Free Online Exams and Tutorials
    http://www.stexams.com
    jdmurray is on the right track in my opinion. I have a couple machines with multiple NICs in them and static always solves any issues.
    www.supercross.com
  • KingKKingK Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Most cable modem networks work on DHCP.

A static will do you know good on a restart, IF it assigns you a new IP.

If you get a 168 to 192 range, that is an internal address that windows will try to throw at you if it realizes you dont have an IP address.

TO get a static you usually have to pay more.

The other solution would be to use a router and program static on the other side of the router.
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Could be the ARP cache on the connection. Resetting the modem might cause it to clear the cache and recheck the MAC causing it to find the new MAC on the new NIC.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
    KingK.. ur right bro.. its a dynamic ip.. and don't want to pay additional just for a static one..

I dont have any hub/routers..

ajs1976 is also right but ive already doing that.. (resetting the modem) is there a way or a utility where in i don't have to switch on/off my modem? icon_redface.gif

icon_smurf.gif

Thanks..
    I'm not familiar with Cable Modems, but wouldn't that unit have the external IP address from your ISP and then be an internal address to your PC?

What are the IP address's you use on your NICs?
    www.supercross.com
    ip range is 218.186.x.x
    is there a way or a utility where in i don't have to switch on/off my modem?

My freind runs an internet radio station hosted on his own server through residential cable service (using DHCP) and has had success with this.

http://no-ip.com
    RussS wrote:
    I'm not familiar with Cable Modems, but wouldn't that unit have the external IP address from your ISP and then be an internal address to your PC?

What are the IP address's you use on your NICs?

The unit (or cable modem) gets an IP address and then the NIC gets an IP.

Once the cable modem syncs on the network, then it gets an IP and once it sees the NIC, then assigns the NIC an IP.

But they are both dynamiclly assigned.
  • tokhsstokhss Member Posts: 473
    the reason why you cant do that is b/c your modem hold on to the MAC address of NIC1.. when modem is on, and plugged into NIC2, it wont route.. NIC 2 has a different MAC address.. no route will take place. when you powercycle the modem, it clears the cache. now you can plug it into NIC 2 and surf.

hope that helps.
    Actually, from what I have read a cable modem has similar software to an ADSL router - can be either dynamic or static depending on the needs.
    Running two NICs you would use static and then you should have no issues.
    www.supercross.com
    Actually, from what I have read a cable modem has similar software to an ADSL router - can be either dynamic or static depending on the needs.
    Running two NICs you would use static and then you should have no issues.

Im not sure how ADSL routers work. But yes, it can be configured static.

Where I work, the residential side is all DHCP and the business side is all static.

To get a static IP, you have to get a business account (about 10.00 more a month).
  • aagaag Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have 2 Lan Cards
    1. realteck RTL8139 Family PCI ( 10.12.x.x)
    2. realteck RTL8139/810x Family PCI ( 172.16.x.x)

I have
    P4 Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel 1794 Mhz
    System Model MV85010A INTEL mother board
    Total Physical Memory 256.00 MB
    OS Windows XP pro

1. is to connect ISP
    2. is to connect friend's comp.

on Both card I can access internet as my friend also gives me internet connection from his comp.

my problem is can I use both the card at a time to connect internet.
    or Can I specify, which porgramm should use which conection. so that i can balance both the connection
    aag wrote:
    I have 2 Lan Cards
    1. realteck RTL8139 Family PCI ( 10.12.x.x)
    2. realteck RTL8139/810x Family PCI ( 172.16.x.x)

I have
    P4 Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel 1794 Mhz
    System Model MV85010A INTEL mother board
    Total Physical Memory 256.00 MB
    OS Windows XP pro

1. is to connect ISP
    2. is to connect friend's comp.

on Both card I can access internet as my friend also gives me internet connection from his comp.

my problem is can I use both the card at a time to connect internet.
    or Can I specify, which porgramm should use which conection. so that i can balance both the connection

Are you trying to "piggy back" the second (your freinds PC) with your own connection?
  • aagaag Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□