MCSE is a worthy goal

CiscopimpenatorCiscopimpenator Inactive Imported Users Posts: 134
I'm going for my MCSE now and hope to join the ranks of MCSE's everywhere.
The Pimpenator loves new challenges and sees the MCSE as a great way to display his already existing knowledge to future employers.
The Pimpenator was MCP in Windows NT4.0(Server, Workstation), which means the Pimpenator has been in the game for awhile and knows a little bit about MS exams.
The Pimpenator might take Security+ as his MCSE elective.
The Pimpenator likes friendly discussion and likes to play hard ball.

-Ciscopimpenator
-Ciscopimpenator

Comments

• Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm going for my MCSE now and hope to join the ranks of MCSE's everywhere.
    You mean us wimps? icon_wink.gif
    The Pimpenator loves new challenges and sees the MCSE as a great way to display his already existing knowledge to future employers.
    Don't discount the opportunity to learn new stuff during the process as well. There is a LOT of stuff you don't use on a regualr basis that can be learned during the certification journey.
    The Pimpenator was MCP in Windows NT4.0(Server, Workstation), which means the Pimpenator has been in the game for awhile and knows a little bit about MS exams.
    If the last MS exam you took was NT - trust me, they are not the same. Still, they're not rocket science either, just different from the NT days.
    The Pimpenator might take Security+ as his MCSE elective.
    That's a good choice. I have to warn you though, it's the most boring exam I ever studied for. No hands on fun, unlike CCNA or MS.
    The Pimpenator likes friendly discussion and likes to play hard ball.
    icon_cool.gif

I thought you would continue down the CCNP path. What made you decide on MCSE?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • CiscopimpenatorCiscopimpenator Inactive Imported Users Posts: 134
    If anybody needs help feel free to ask!

In response to sprkymrk...

I decided to take the MCSE so I can show my abilities with Win2003 and learn some essential skills along the way.
    You were right, I was heading towards CCNP and eventually towards CCIE.
    If I get my MCSE now, I can then focus all my energy and time towards Cisco technologies.
    If I decided to get my MCSE after CCNP, I would be taking a major detour for CCIE. It's better to take these exams sequentially. The CCNA is just a warmup exam for Cisco knowledge. THE CCNP is really when you become a Cisco Engineer.

So my goals are

CCNA
    MCP
    MCSE
    CCNP
    CCIE

Instead of

CCNA
    CCNP
    CCIE

The Pimpenator needs to learn about Win2K3 in order to show employers he means business.
    My past experience with NT4, 2000, and 2003 doesn't merit enough consideration alone. I need the WIN2K3 MCSE to show them I know what I'm talking about.

I have known about the MCSE for many years but never approached it for many reasons.
    The Pimpenator needs to get the MCSE for his own ego as well. Without the MCSE the Pimpenator might feel like he missed out on quality understanding and education.

Thank you,

-Ciscopimpenator
    -Ciscopimpenator
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well I wish you great success. Are you going to start with 70-270? Vista? Other?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Unfortunately, if you are going for MCSE, Vista cannot be taken as a client exam. I have heard different things that Microsoft will or will not accept it, but many people at my company have taken the Vista exam thinking it will count towards the client elective on their MCSE 2003, and they were wrong. Microsoft will not take Vista as the client elective. Their website also does not display Vista as an exam for your MCSE 2003 at the following url: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/windows2003/default.mspx. Good luck to you on your endeavor and let us know how it goes!
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
    I'm going to start with 70-290. I bought the 4 book set from MSPress covering the core exams.
    I'm going to get another PC next week(low budget of course) and put MS Server Evaluation as the OS(I will probably dual boot with Linux if possible).

sprymrk maybe you can help me...

I wanted to do Security+ for my elective but I might want to attempt the MSExchange elective.
    I have no experience with MSExchange, but I feel that knowing MSExchange is necessary for any tech/engineer nowadays. What should I do? The reason I wanted to get the SEcurity+ is because the cert is lifetime. In the end I will probably need the MSExchange knowledge so I might just go for that instead.

Thanks again :D

-Ciscopimpenator
    -Ciscopimpenator
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wish The Pimpenator luck. I think The Pimpenator should start out with 70-291 or as The Pimpenator refers to it "The Joke"
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
    The Pimpenator refers to most things as "Joke".
    The Pimpenator sees life through prism colored glasses. :)

The Pimpenator could do 70-291 first but he needs to put the MCP logo on his resume sooner then later. :)
    The Pimpenator feels the 70-290 will also provide a good foundation for future exams in MCSE.
    Don't be intimidated by the Pimpenator, his knowledge and skills are top level but always helps you find your best.

Good luck to you!

-Ciscopimpenator
    -Ciscopimpenator
  • silentc1015silentc1015 Member Posts: 128
    Good luck with your studies. Just out of curiousity, did you run into any situation or event in your career that made you decide to pursue the MCSE even though you sufficient knowledge? I'm just wondering, because in my short experience the Cisco guys usually aren't responsible for many MS administration tasks.
    Sometimes you run into jobs where MS Server knowledge comes into play. MS Exchange and MS SQL are great skills for anyone to have.

Having MCSE will give me great knowledge when I run across jobs that require MS knowledge. Knowing just WAN and Cisco stuff isn't that great if you don't what kind of equipment is using the network.
    I feel all MCSE's should have Cisco CCNA and all Cisco CCNA should have at least MCSA or MCSE.
    I would prefer all MCSE's have CCNP and all CCNP's have MCSE.
    Add some Linux certs and you have a quality network engineer.

If any of you Microsoft guys need help in Cisco areas let me know.
    This site is greatest tech site on net!

Good luck,

-Ciscopimpenator
    -Ciscopimpenator
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From Trika's blog posted on 5/3/2007.
    70-620 and 70-236 as Windows Server 2003 electives?
    Yes, it is true! it is true! Any day now these will be added to the MCSA and MCSE sites for elective credit. As soon as it is "official" (the pages have been updated) I'll let you know. Here's what will change:

Under CORE: CLIENT OPERATING SYSTEM EXAMS (one required), 70-620 (Vista MCTS) is being added.
    Under ELECTIVES (one required), the additions are 70-236 (Exchange 2007 MCTS), 70-445, 70-500, 70-501, 70-630, and 70-631. In the case of MCSE, 70-620 can be used as either your client elective OR your general elective, but not both.
    ok, bye.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for this information. I'll let my co-workers know about this.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks