Options

Moving from Field Technician to Help Desk

BCarderMABCarderMA Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
Some might consider this a step backward. But I don't. Here's my situation.

I started working in Buffalo NY in 2002 in IT, as a IT Assistant. For a year or so I'd answer phones and direct phone calls to higher-end techs. Then after a year, I started to go on site and fix problems / install and configure systems, etc etc etc.

I moved to Phoenix AZ in 2005 and was a field technician that worked from home. I did alot of remote support with Kaseya / Zenith Infotech, but also some on-visits when needed. I did both. I worked with one guy only (my boss) for a very small company in Goodyear, AZ. While I had alot of freedom, this eventually got to me. Most of the time I was swamped. I worked 50-60 hour weeks most of the time, stayed on site well after 5 pm (work hours were typically 8-5) and just had soo much responsibility.

I am relocating to Leominster MA in 1 week and have accepted a job for a growing company in Concord MA. I have accepted a job as a Remote Support Engineer (Tier II) with a huge increase in pay. I'll be starting at $46K but with bonuses, etc... I could be making close to $50. I'm very excited.

So to me, it's a step up. I'll be doing server/router/firewall/connectivity support. I'm pretty familiar with the Windows 2000/2003 Server OS, primarily what I'll be supporting. I'll also be gaining some Solaris/Unix/Linux experience, which I really don't have any of.

So it's a step up; definitely. But does anyone have any advice for me? I've never really worked on a help desk before (besides my remote support I provided from my home office). Any OS's I should be studying? MCSE/MCSA? Any thing at all?

By the way, I have my A+, N+, MCP *270*, and currently studying for the 290 Exam. Is this the way to go? I start my new job on June 4.

Thanks in advance.
--
Brandon
Leominster, MA

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sounds like you're on the right track. Congrats on the new job. icon_thumright.gif
    Once you've been at the new job for 4-6 weeks you'll get an idea of where to develop your skills. Meanwhile you won't go wrong studying 70-290. Good luck! icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Does anyone see this as a step backward?
    --
    Brandon
    Leominster, MA
  • Options
    mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
    I would only say it's a step backward if you're takin a pay cut and it's more of a last resort job. But you're gonna make more money and do something ya like...definitely a step forward.

A lot of people look down on Help Desk positions. I'm in a Help Desk position and love it. Although it's not where I want to before throughout my career, it's great for now. I get to work with a lot of different areas in IT. I get to work with software, hardware, exchange, 2003 server, firewall, routers...I get a little bit of everything. As long as you're doin something ya like and even gettin better pay...I see no negatives in that.

Congrats
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    Thanks MrHaun.... I agree with you. I will be working in a diverse environment, which will be a challenge.

What is your help desk environment like? Do you work for an ISP / Services Provider?
    --
    Brandon
    Leominster, MA
  • Options
    emmajoyceemmajoyce Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats
    If it makes you happy, then thats all that matters. I think it sounds like a great job.

ps: please someone send some jobs to mytle beach
    lungsucker.jpg
  • Options
    Not much happening down in Myrtle Beach?
    --
    Brandon
    Leominster, MA
  • Options
    mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
    BCarderMA wrote:
    Thanks MrHaun.... I agree with you. I will be working in a diverse environment, which will be a challenge.

What is your help desk environment like? Do you work for an ISP / Services Provider?

I work for an engineering/consulting firm. It's just myself and the IT manager. It can get a little crazy, but I enjoy it. We just picked up an intern for me to give most of the workload to. icon_lol.gif Being such a small group, I get to see or handle all the issues and in turn, I'm learning a lot. The companies been expanding ever since I started...one year ago this month. Just opened a few remote offices, so there's a lot of remote administration. It's good stuff.
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    BCarderMA wrote:
    Does anyone see this as a step backward?

You could be an IT Director making $120K and then take a position sewing elastic on underwear for $240K and that to me is a promotion. If it doesn't make dollars to doesn't make sense.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for their replies. I do really appreciate it!!!

Hope everyone has a great week!
    --
    Brandon
    Leominster, MA
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    BCarderMA wrote:
    Some might consider this a step backward. But I don't. Here's my situation.

I started working in Buffalo NY in 2002 in IT, as a IT Assistant. For a year or so I'd answer phones and direct phone calls to higher-end techs. Then after a year, I started to go on site and fix problems / install and configure systems, etc etc etc.

I moved to Phoenix AZ in 2005 and was a field technician that worked from home. I did alot of remote support with Kaseya / Zenith Infotech, but also some on-visits when needed. I did both. I worked with one guy only (my boss) for a very small company in Goodyear, AZ. While I had alot of freedom, this eventually got to me. Most of the time I was swamped. I worked 50-60 hour weeks most of the time, stayed on site well after 5 pm (work hours were typically 8-5) and just had soo much responsibility.

I am relocating to Leominster MA in 1 week and have accepted a job for a growing company in Concord MA. I have accepted a job as a Remote Support Engineer (Tier II) with a huge increase in pay. I'll be starting at $46K but with bonuses, etc... I could be making close to $50. I'm very excited.

So to me, it's a step up. I'll be doing server/router/firewall/connectivity support. I'm pretty familiar with the Windows 2000/2003 Server OS, primarily what I'll be supporting. I'll also be gaining some Solaris/Unix/Linux experience, which I really don't have any of.

So it's a step up; definitely. But does anyone have any advice for me? I've never really worked on a help desk before (besides my remote support I provided from my home office). Any OS's I should be studying? MCSE/MCSA? Any thing at all?

By the way, I have my A+, N+, MCP *270*, and currently studying for the 290 Exam. Is this the way to go? I start my new job on June 4.

Thanks in advance.

sounds like your leaving my neck of the woods (AZ). However, it also sounds like youre getting a way better oppurtunity. Definitely NOT a downgrade.

Well good luck with your new job!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    Where are you in AZ?
    --
    Brandon
    Leominster, MA