Degree vs HND path

Mike_twMike_tw Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I have recetnely discovered a college offering a HNC HND in Computing course with an option for BSC computing degree after it.

I need some advice on what best, taking this route or going straight to full time university. This course appeals much more to me than any at my local university.
HNC and HND in Computing

It also has the opportunity to take certifications like CCNA and the microsoft ones.

I like it also because it is part time so i wont be buried in debt as I would be able to work aswell (Im a part time web designer for a local company)

Here is more information on the course:

These courses benefit from an excellent learning environment, use state of the art technology, extensive open access computer facilities and excellent tutor support.

Four award titles are available:

* HNC/D Applied Computing
* HNC/D Information Technology
* HNC/D Internet and Multimedia Computing
* HNC/D Computer Networks

Modules offered at HE level 1 are:

Computer systems 1
Information Systems and Databases
Programming 1
Multimedia Systems Development 1
Computer Networks 1
Professional Skills 1

Each of the above is worth 20 credits.

Modules offered at HE level 2 are:

Multimedia Systems Development 2
Web Systems Development 2
Computer Networks 2
Computer Systems 2
Systems Analysis 2
Audio Visual Computing
Information & Knowledge Based Systems
Application Development 2
Programming 2
Database Systems 2

Each of the above is worth 15 credits.

HNC students study 120 credits at HE Level 1 and 30 credits at HE Level 2. After the HNC, students may continue their study to gain an HND. This requires a further 60 credits at HE Level 2 (from the above list) as well as a 30 credit individual project.

Who The Course Is For
These are challenging courses for those who wish to enter, or progress within, the rapidly expanding computing profession.

How You Will Study
Each module is delivered through a combination of lectures, tutorials, lab work and workshops. In addition students are expected to carry out their own study and research to enhance their understanding.

How You Will Be Assessed
Each module will be assessed independently. All modules have assessed coursework which is used to provide the individual module grade along with, in some cases, an end of module examination or online test.

Qualification Title
HNC/HND Applied Computing
HNC/HND Information Technology
HNC/HND Internet and Multimedia Computing
HNC/HND Computer Networks

Course Length
2 years / Part-time (HNC)
3 years / Part-time (HND)

Your Options After the Course
Students who have gained an HND may wish to continue their studies in order to obtain a BSc in Computing and IT. This can be achieved through two years' part-time study, or one year full-time.

Proven career enhancement.

Professional Qualifications: Cisco CCNA or Microsoft MCP, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE

So, what do the experts think?[/quote]

Comments

• garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Go the traditional college route with a minor in IT. If you think about it, IT is a position that can be gained solely from experience. Other positions outside of IT can require a BS degree. If you go traditional, the door is still wide open for career changes. If I was still in college I would not have studied IT at all. Put my focus in business.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I have to agree with garv; a BSIT from a proper university will carry you a lot farther than a HNC/HND--especially if you seek work outside of the UK where the HNC/HND is unknown. The longer road will provide you more opportunities in your future.
  • sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    garv221 wrote:
    Go the traditional college route with a minor in IT. If you think about it, IT is a position that can be gained solely from experience. Other positions outside of IT can require a BS degree. If you go traditional, the door is still wide open for career changes. If I was still in college I would not have studied IT at all. Put my focus in business.

Amen brother.
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • emsrescueemsrescue Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My advice would be, if you can afford to do 3 years of full time study then go and do a degree. If not then do the HND.

If you do the HND and you get some certs at the same time it would be a good start. You can always add to it later. I did a HND in Telecomunications and I am now topping it up with the Open University to a BSc.

I really enjoyed the HND course I did as it was more hands on than the degree in Telecoms that a friend of mine was doing at the same time. I could have joined him in the 3rd year and have got the same degree had I wanted but couldnt afford it at the time.

In the UK a HND is well respected by employers looking for technical people but if you want to aim more at mangement go for the degree.

Just my thoughts.

Jon
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i also live in the UK.

i agree that hnc/hnd is respected but these are qualifications that are quite dated! people used to do these as the "dogs bollucks" so to speak and used to be a high qual to have mainly because doing honour degrees etc wasnt very common until the last 10 years or so. and lets face it they are not well known outside of the UK so if you did move then its got a high chance it will not be recognised.

if your looking for a good course but not one thats gona cost £3k in tuition fees per year then i would do a part-time degree of your choice and then do the top up years to get your honours or masters etc. i do my degree part time and my tuition fee's for the year is £700. not bad when your not the highest payed it personel lol! only down side of doing it part time is the time it takes - its a hell of a lot longer! so if you want the fast route your gona have to bite the bullet and go FT.

hnc's are like A levels at college - no one gives a sh*t about them once you put degrees into the arena.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking