Pay Raise: How much can you expect?

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
I'm just wondering how much raise should I expect after the annual review. I know it depends on your performance, but I'm trying to find out the general or average percentage that employers give (in IT).

Show me the money :)

Comments

• royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Generally it's 3-5%. But like you said, it can different depending on performance.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    do you work in private or public sector?

to answer in private you could see 5 to 10% or more depending on skills/certs earned during that year.

in public nothing really for certs earned, maybe 2% cost of living and/or 3% minimum across the board raise.. icon_confused.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • netteasernetteaser Member Posts: 198
    I received a 3% after performance review today
  • GrymGrym Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    4.2% but i had a pretty good year, thats been about the average for awhile now...
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Ummmm I see an average of 5% being kinda of the norm.

I don't think one can get rich by working except for himself/herself. But that's another topic.
  • int80hint80h Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I received a 14% raise for 2007, but then again I have a much more advanced skill set than most people on this board.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I received a 66% increase in salary just recently. Sounds great, huh? Ufortunately, Ive been grossly underpayed for approx 2.5 years with no raise etc. I now make average salary in my area! icon_moneyeyes.gif

im happy NOW though icon_lol.gif
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • drakhan2002drakhan2002 Member Posts: 111
    int80h wrote:
    I received a 14% raise for 2007, but then again I have a much more advanced skill set than most people on this board.

Based on your certifications, I'd say you're about average skill wise. We have a ton of people with your skill set at the large Fortune 500 firm where I work. But congrats on the raise.
    It's not the moments of pleasure, it's the hours of pursuit...
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    int80h wrote:

Based on your certifications, I'd say you're about average skill wise. We have a ton of people with your skill set at the large Fortune 500 firm where I work. But congrats on the raise.

I was going to say the same thing. Considering the board ranges from people with no certs and experience, all the way up to CCIE candidates and MCA-hopefuls, int80h's skillset is just about average, (at least, what's listed on the cert lineup in the profile). I wouldn't mind a 14% raise, though, congratulations on that. I also agree with most in this thread, you tend to get the raise you've worked for. Save for stingy companies or thick-headed bosses, your raise will generally reflect the amount of growth you've shown throughout your review period, as well as your productivity for the company. If you've earned a couple of certs, if your skillset has grown noticably, you definitely deserve a raise that's at least in the 5% or higher range. And even that's low-balling it.

(Can you tell that I'm underpaid? icon_confused.gif )

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm working in a government job and I'm hoping to get at least a 5% raise!

C'mon money!
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Slowhand wrote:
    int80h wrote:

I was going to say the same thing. Considering the board ranges from people with no certs and experience, all the way up to CCIE candidates and MCA-hopefuls, int80h's skillset is just about average, (at least, what's listed on the cert lineup in the profile). I wouldn't mind a 14% raise, though, congratulations on that.

I think he means he's an engineer and not just a tech/admin/whatever like you and me.

Still, one's skillset has little to do with raises. A janitor that does a great job might get a 14% raise, but that isn't because his skill set is better than an astronaut who only got a 6% raise.

The President of the United States still makes the same $400,000/year he made when he started 7 years ago, FWIW. icon_lol.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • jasonbochejasonboche Member Posts: 167
    When did the pay rate double for the prez? I thought it was $200k per year for prez and $10k per year for vice prez.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    I work for a bank. My first few years I was getting around 10% raise per year. Then it really tapered off to where 3-4% was the norm. When it tapered off though we began getting annual bonuses. The first one was $10k but they have been dwindling each year since then. My reviews have all been very good so the decrease in merit increase each year isn't tied to poor performance.

Once you reach a certain salary threshold, I think it's harder to command 10-15% merit increase each year, as much I would like to do that. Or maybe I'm just brainwashed.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
  • mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
    jasonboche wrote:
    When did the pay rate double for the prez? I thought it was $200k per year for prez and $10k per year for vice prez.

That happened years ago, my man.
    Working on Linux+
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jasonboche wrote:

In 2001 it was raised from $200,000 to $400,000. In my other post I thought it was in 1997, so my whole argument has been shot since he doubled his salary in his first year... icon_lol.gif

The VP went from $62,500 in 1969, to $171,000 in 1994, to $175,400 in 2001 and finally to $198,600 in 2003.
    All things are possible, only believe.
    Thanks for that info. I didn't know their salary went up but I suppose it makes sense. Of course none of them in Washington contribute to social security so that part still doesn't make sense.
    Ummm, I don't want to sound greedy, but looking at my student loan balance, I would be disappointed if I'm given 3-5% raise icon_cry.gif

I'm sure some ppl have car, credit car and other loans, so it's fair that a raise be the same rate as the interest rate (at least). Now am I living in a fantasy world when I say this? icon_lol.gif
  • strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'll tell you this...

If it is cheaper to give a Network Engineer a 6% bump...

Rather than pay a temp agency 2x the rate... for 3-12 months... while looking

And / or pay the finder's fee or recruitment fee of at least 6-12,000.00...

I think the business should choose... wisely.

In a dream world maybe. Unfortunately management are stubborn sons of bitches who would rather win their battle on principal than save money. I've seen it all to often. No idea why they are that way but its what they do.
  • pbradishpbradish Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    binarysoul wrote:
    I don't think one can get rich by working except for himself/herself. But that's another topic.

Bingo!
    strauchr wrote:
    I'll tell you this...

If it is cheaper to give a Network Engineer a 6% bump...

Rather than pay a temp agency 2x the rate... for 3-12 months... while looking

And / or pay the finder's fee or recruitment fee of at least 6-12,000.00...

I think the business should choose... wisely.

In a dream world maybe. Unfortunately management are stubborn sons of bitches who would rather win their battle on principal than save money. I've seen it all to often. No idea why they are that way but its what they do.

Bingo. This person speaks the truth.
    binarysoul wrote:

Bingo!

True to an extent, but I think what happens more frequently is a person gets poor by working for himself/herself. I can't tell you how many times I've pondered working for myself or starting my own business. All I have to do is look around at 90% of the other pepole I know who tried going that route and none of them are rich beyond their wildest dreams. In fact, factoring in benefits (or lack thereof), they are much worse off than working for the man. Some are barely scraping by poverty level net income.

I know it seems like a really good idea when the man gets you down, but there is so much sh*t to deal with when you're self employed, you'll be running like a chicken with your head cut off (that's assuming you get a regular flow of work), and you'll be lucky to make half the pay.

A few key things to think about:
    1. You'll need to be your own sales person to get your own work. That means downtime, advertising expense, etc. Any time you're running sales, you're not making any money. Also downtime will be needed for continuing education (certification, learning new technologies, etc.). If you are going to handle this aspect at night after business hours, then you must enjoy working 16 hours a day and having no social life, no wife and kids. If you have wife and kids, they'll be gone soon.

2. No benefits, or I should say, you pay for your own benefits. Have you checked COBRA or decent health insurance premiums lately? Good coverage is nothing to gamble with. Too many people do it, get burned, and are broke for the rest of their lives. Then there is disability (short and long term - what if your back goes out and you can't work for 6 weeks?), dental, etc.

3. As a self employed person/business owner, you get to pay double the social securtiy. About 15.5% of your salary.

4. Do you expect to grow? If so, that means employees and everything that goes along with that: HR, benefits, taxes, lawyers, accountants, training, etc. What a nightmare. At that point you'll be lucky if you yourself are spending 20% of your time on tech work.

Yeah I thought it all through. For now I'm content with collecting a paycheck reguarly from the man.
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I hear that a 10% raise at my place isnt unrealistic, but i work for a small company...so they cant really afford to lose people, I have been told by the vets. Therefore they usually give in with pay reviews, they make the offer initially which I guess is pretty standard and I say higher :p. They are making me work my MS certs atm for customer benefits, seeing as 50% of my job is now customer support onsite, the other 50% 4hrs fast response off the phone.

So, I wont be afraid to expect a good pay review, especially with the cost's of living in london soon, travel, paying off my student loans etc.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
    Finally, I got a 3% raise. This is the highest in the company for admins. Given the rising living costs (not to mention our rising inspirations to do and to own more), I'm not sure if I can live with 3% raises :)

Which companies [industries) offere the highest salary to system admins? I know it depends on experience, location, and many other factors, but overall I wanna know some names.
  • jarjarjarjar Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    First computer job:
      3 years of making less then 30k...
    Next job:
      First year = 0% 2nd year = 7% 3rd year = 5k, then 5k, then 15k (I'm having a good year)
  • SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    I'm up for my first real raise this year and very interested ot see how it pans out

this year i've finished my MCSA.. should write my Sec+ before Raises come out

I know the president is grateful me and my new boss are handling the load on 4 people and it's not missing a beat

but unfortunately I do not think he really makes the ultimate decision

I've heard that you generally get a pretty good bonus 10% on your salary and then an ok raise

I know as much as I hated call centers the 5% i was earning every 6months and not breaking a sweat really was nice

I guess we will see but I am pretty under payed considering me and one guy support over 1000 users all over the country and I was making the same thing supporting 40-50 users last year before this company took me on when they acquired our IT support contract.

the raise I receive will make a big difference on where I am this time next year
  • IT_AdminIT_Admin Member Posts: 158
    I just received a phone call from my manager stating my pay raise it is 3% increase, which works out to roughly 0.42 more an hour. icon_sad.gif

Although I am still waiting on my written contract for my new job, so i guess that is the bright side to this shitty raise.
    Next victim: 70-351

On my way to MCSE 2K3: Security
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm hoping to get 5% at my annual review. I've obtained my CCNA, Security+, and hopefully will have my MCSE:S by then (May 200icon_cool.gif. I've performed very well, and have done a ton of work. My boss loves me and said he trusts my judgement so we'll see.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
    xntrix18 wrote:
    I just received a phone call from my manager stating my pay raise it is 3% increase, which works out to roughly 0.42 more an hour. icon_sad.gif

Although I am still waiting on my written contract for my new job, so i guess that is the bright side to this shitty raise.

At least, you're driving a Mercedeze :)
  • IT_AdminIT_Admin Member Posts: 158
    lol, yeah only in my dreams..
    Next victim: 70-351

On my way to MCSE 2K3: Security
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    binarysoul wrote:
    I'm just wondering how much raise should I expect after the annual review. I know it depends on your performance, but I'm trying to find out the general or average percentage that employers give (in IT).

Show me the money :)

Nothing. Inflation increase at most, everything else should be earned.