Options

Audio Training

justus1justus1 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am thinking about adding some audio training to my CISSP preparation. Right now I am reading the All-In-One and Mike Myers Passport to the CISSP. I have heard good things about both the Preplogic and Boson audio training. Has anyone tried either? How would you rate them? Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    drakhan2002drakhan2002 Member Posts: 111
    justus1 wrote:
    I am thinking about adding some audio training to my CISSP preparation. Right now I am reading the All-In-One and Mike Myers Passport to the CISSP. I have heard good things about both the Preplogic and Boson audio training. Has anyone tried either? How would you rate them? Thank you.

I've tried the PrepLogic CISSP audio series. Listened to the 2 CDs every day to and from work during my commute. It did this for about 3 months or so...I can still hear that guy talking in the back of my head (or maybe it's just the OTHER voices...but that's a topic for a different day!)

Anyway, the guy who gives the talks is NOT a techie. I got frustrated with his use of the word "alogrithm" - there isn't such a thing! It is an "algorithm!" Anyway, I did find them useful and I would recommend them as a great alternative way to prepare.
    It's not the moments of pleasure, it's the hours of pursuit...
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    Some CBT materials lend themselves to audio-only use, such as listening on a portable MP3 player. Others require the user to look at a visual display to observe pictures, diagrams, the instructor using a software GUI, etc. Shon Harris' CISSP training series on www.searchsecurity.com, and Clement Dupris' CISSP online training at cccure.org are examples of audio-only CBT. Although these series include slides of the lecture notes, it isn't necessary to read them as you listen. More formal CBT, such as those from PrepLogic, Train Signal, and CBT Nuggets should be both watched and listened to at least the first few time use use them, afterwhich audio-only is fine.

An important feature I look for in CBT materials is the ability to continually play the CD without clicking a button to step to the next lesson. I like listening to CBT material while I'm programming, and I don't want to stop every 5-10 minutes and click the "next" button on the CBT GUI. Just make the audio available as one long MP3 file and I'm happy.
  • Options
    justus1justus1 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I received a copy of the CBT nuggets, but I haven't had a chance to go over them yet, hopefully the CBTs and reading material I have will cover it. Thanks again!