*TechNotes* 70-215 Windows 2000 Server

WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
The TechNotes are also available in a printer-friendly format, and eventually will be combined in a single PDF file. Let me know if you have any comments, suggestions so I can edit/add it before it ends up in the PDF guide.

icon_arrow.gifInstalling Windows 2000 Server
Covers system requirements, attended installations, distribution shares. unattended installations using Setup Manager and Sysprep, upgrading, installing service packs and troubleshooting.

icon_arrow.gifPrinting
Covers Windows 2000 local and network printing. Creating, configuring, sharing and securing printers. IIS on print servers and printing in ADS environments.

icon_arrow.gifAccess to Resources
Covers NTFS permissions, Shared folders and Distributed File Systems.

icon_arrow.gifIntroduction to ADS
Covers Windows 2000 Active Directory basics and terminology. *NEW*

Johan :D

Comments

• Old BrainOld Brain Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am sure you will do the same GREAT GREAT job with 70-215 like
    you did with N+.

I can't wait !!!!

Old Brain : :)icon_lol.gif :P :P
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Thanks Old Brain,

I'm actually working on the next one right now... 'Access to Resources', covers:

INSTALLING, CONFIGURING, AND TROUBLESHOOTING ACCESS TO RESOURCES

Monitor, configure, troubleshoot, and control access to printers.

Monitor, configure, troubleshoot, and control access to files, folders, and shared folders.
    - Configure, manage, and troubleshoot a stand-alone Distributed file system (Dfs).
    - Configure, manage, and troubleshoot a domain-based Distributed file system (Dfs).
    - Monitor, configure, troubleshoot, and control local security on files and folders.
    - Monitor, configure, troubleshoot, and control access to files and folders in a shared folder.
    - Monitor, configure, troubleshoot, and control access to files and folders via Web services.

Monitor, configure, troubleshoot, and control access to Web sites.

As you know I write the TechNotes using the exam objectives ('Skills being Measured'), which is not always an easy thing to do with MS exams... CompTIA exam objectives are a lot clearer. There is a lot of overlap (take a look at the last 2 objectives mentioned above.) and some of them just don't make any sense, this one fore example:
    "Install and configure network services for interoperability." is also listed under INSTALLING, CONFIGURING, AND TROUBLESHOOTING ACCESS TO RESOURCES. I have no idea what they want with that... the obvious would be DNS, DHCP, WINS etc. but that is covered by the "Install and configure network services." under "Configuring and Troubleshooting Windows 2000 Network Connections "...

Then again, "Install, configure, and troubleshoot shared access." is also mentioned under "Configuring and Troubleshooting Windows 2000 Network Connections "... but the related information will be included in the next TechNotes 'Access to Resources' as mentioned above...

icon_arrow.gifwww.microsoft.com/traincert/exams/70-215.asp

Confusing aye? Don't worry though, I've teached 70-215 in a class room for a couple of months some years ago so it should all work out OK. icon_wink.gif I actually already have written 75% of the facts in an outline for each 70-215 TechNote, I 'only' need to write it all out into more pleasant reading :)

Thanks again for the encouragement Old Brain! :)
    In the summer of 2003, Microsoft will introduce new exam question types and an updated version of the testlet exam format in some Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) exams. These question types present a more realistic visual representation of the tasks you might perform on the job.

The frequently asked questions (FAQs) and downloadable demos below are intended to help candidates become familiar with the new exam question types. Please note that the demos may or may not be technically accurate and should not be used as practice tests.

Funny !! icon_rolleyes.gif I hope they won't change the objectives !! icon_sad.gif

You will be my mentor !!
    Best regards
    Old Brain :P icon_wink.gif
    Here is the next one for the Windows 2000 server exam:

icon_arrow.gifPrinting

I planned to create a large one covering: INSTALLING, CONFIGURING, AND TROUBLESHOOTING ACCESS TO RESOURCES, but as usual, the printing part ended up a little longer than planned. icon_wink.gif
    Just to help ...

In paragraph title : Unattanted installation ..read Unattended

Old Brain: icon_confused.gif:)
    I've just added the Access to Resources TechNotes covering NTFS permissions, Shared folders and Distributed File Systems.
    Added Introduction to Active Directory Services TechNotes
    Covers Windows 2000 Active Directory basics and terminology.
  • jojopramosjojopramos Member Posts: 415
    How about Group Policy Object....

can you post the technet reviewer for this
  • TrevskiTrevski Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    any news on that tech note for GPOs? :D
  • isuru76isuru76 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For completeness sake I thought of asking whether the 70-215 is complete? Also is it a good stand-alone guide or should it be combined with the 70-210 for exam purposes? Thanks and keep up the good work.
  • x_Danny_xx_Danny_x Member Posts: 312 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jojopramos wrote:
    How about Group Policy Object....

can you post the technet reviewer for this

that would be awesome to have the Group Policy Object. My book just confuses the crap out of me with it.
    There There, Its okay to feel GUILTY...........There is no SIN in PLEASURE!
    isuru76 wrote:
    For completeness sake I thought of asking whether the 70-215 is complete? Also is it a good stand-alone guide or should it be combined with the 70-210 for exam purposes? Thanks and keep up the good work.
    Didn't notice this reply... No, it completely covers the exam objectives listed at the bottom of each technote, but I haven't written technotes for all objectives. They don't need to be combined with the 210 material though.
    that would be awesome to have the Group Policy Object. My book just confuses the crap out of me with it.
    I don't think I will write any more techntoes for the 215 exam. I'm currently working on the final 70-270 technotes (including PDF) and after that I will continue with the 2003 exams (70-29x). I'm sorry if I dissapoint anyone with this, but it is just not worth my time writing for Windows 2000. The reason I can spend so much time on writing technotes is that I can keep them online for many years, which currently is not the case for 2000 anymore.

I may make an exception for some technotes though. For example the one I wrote about EFS (for 70-270) also applies to 210 and 215. In other words, if a technote I wrote for 2003 can easily be modified to 2000, I will.