advice needed on cert

hanamachihanamachi Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone, my name is David. I just need some advice on getting certs.
Soon, I will graduate from community college with a Associate degree in Network Admin. I was wondering if I want to get a job in entry level and eventually move up from there. What would be good certs I should start with.

Thanks

David

Comments

• PremierCiscoPremierCisco Member Posts: 221
    Hello David and a warm welcome.

I would think that getting your A+ and Network+ certs would be a great start as they are entry level, also i would look into getting your CCNA,MCP and finally MCSA 2003 ( 70-270, 70-290, 70-291) and you can use your Comptia A+ and Network+ as elective's for your MCSA cert.

I hope this help in a plan of attack to certification.

Regards

Eamonn :D
    Bachelor of Science in Computer Services Management - Limerick Institute of Technology
    Higher Certificate in Science in Computer Services - Limerick Institute of Technology
    Certificate Information Technology and Computing - The Open University
    Certificate in Computing and Mathematics -The Open University
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The CompTIA Network+ and the Cisco CCNA are good for breaking into the networking field.... but the A+ Network+ and Microsoft MCP would open more general IT doors (yeah, like helpdesk and desktop support), which could lead to some networking opportunities down the road.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • hanamachihanamachi Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for all the response so far. Really appreciate it . Anyways, this is what my tackle plan:

1) over this coming summer break study for the Network+ exam

Note: since the Network + objectives changed. Will the books and media I have on Network + 2005 objectives be useful anymore? to study from?

2) After, I want to get the cert for Security + (since security is pretty hot field now)

3) then I want to concentrate on CCNA

Do you think this is a good plan so far?

icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks
    David
    :D
    any recommendations for books or media, websites on Network + I can use to study from?

thanks

David
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Sounds like a good plan to me.

As for Network+ study materials....

I personally liked the latest Sybex book the best. I found this website to be a big help with it's notes and practice test.

Other good sites to use for the Network+ are MCMCSE.com and
    http://www.free-tests.com/comptia.shtml

Good luck!
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    The Network+ 2005 Objectives is the current test i believe check out the objectives form comptia's website they are pretty helpful for an outline of what to study.

http://certification.comptia.org/resources/objectives/Network2005_Objectives.pdf
    thanks for the advice so far! :D
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i think it depends on what you wanna do and where you live. surely with your degree you will have covered alot of the network + because its the basic stuff? so i would spend to much time on it.
    in your degree did you not follow any cisco paths. i.e. the ccna academy? if you have and you have good foundation networking knowledge i would go for the ccna! or if you are looking towards a help desk job then mcp's maybee better in the short term?
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking