Interview with IT Force in Ireland

PremierCiscoPremierCisco Member Posts: 221
Hi folks,

I have an interview and a test next week with this company and was wondering if any of you had any insight in to this company.

Some of you will probably know that i am trying to get my foot in the door of the I.T. industry for a number of years but i am really really pushing myself to get there now.

While i have no real world experience and the company know's this as i stated that when they emailed me and still want me to go for interview and test.
I am a bit worried about the test as i never had an technical test to an interview and was wondering what would be asked or asked of me.

Any insight would be great

Eamonn :D
Bachelor of Science in Computer Services Management - Limerick Institute of Technology
Higher Certificate in Science in Computer Services - Limerick Institute of Technology
Certificate Information Technology and Computing - The Open University
Certificate in Computing and Mathematics -The Open University

Comments

• malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hi what is the job for?

I recently had a tech phone interview and it only lasted 10 minutes because the guy said I had satisfied I had the knowledge. It was for a system support engineer at a company that does voip, isp, calling cards, mobile phone network stuff etc and the only questions he asked me were as follows:

Can you explain the difference between a distance vector and link state routing protocol?
    DV uses hop count, link state used cost calculated usually by bandwidth and/or delay of the line

Can you name some of each?
    RIP, OSPF, EIGRP

Can you give some disadvantages of each of the protocols?
    RIP - Hop count only 15, EIGRP - Cisco proprietry, OSPF - Hard to configure

Have I heard of BGP and what is it?
    Exterior gateway protocol that routes between AS's

Do you know what SIP is?
    No, I've had no experience with this

What is Dial on Demand and give an example?
    Explained what a dialer profile

This seems alot but it only took 5 mins or so then he just asked me some more HR type questions. They don't want war and peace when you give answers, just enough to show you have an understanding.

If this is a Helpdesk role you may be give questions on how to install a local and a network printer over direct IP or through a Windows Network. What operating systems can you install from scratch? You may also be given scenarios i.e. what would be the first thing you would do if a user phones up reporting they can not login to the system?

check password and they have the correct tree/domain selected on their workstation etc

Post back more info about the job and we can help more :D

Malc
  • malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've just found them myself, looks like they're MS orientated but look at the IT Solutions section and it lists what areas they deal in

Main site - http://www.itforce.ie/

Solutions - http://www.itforce.ie/managed_services/it_solutions.552.html

Doing reseach on the company and being inquisitive about them in the interview can make up for lack of knowledge so get swotting up on them.

Good luck!
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The answers i would have given if my brain was switched on.
    malcybood wrote:
    hi what is the job for?
    Can you explain the difference between a distance vector and link state routing protocol?
    DV uses hop count, link state used cost calculated usually by bandwidth and/or delay of the line
    DV uses routing by rumor to build its routing table, where as the link state builds a database, creates a SPF tree and the results are entered into the routing table.
    malcybood wrote:
    Can you give some disadvantages of each of the protocols?
    RIP - Hop count only 15, EIGRP - Cisco proprietry, OSPF - Hard to configure
    Rip uses up BW with periodic updates,if you reconfigure an ip address in ospf it causes a recalculation. Eigrp is the business, apart from being proprietary icon_sad.gif
    malcybood wrote:
    Have I heard of BGP and what is it?
    Exterior gateway protocol that routes between AS's
    Bgp is a path vector, it works like rip except it uses ASs instead of prefixes.

malcybood wrote:
    Do you know what SIP is?
    No, I've had no experience with this
    Yes, its how you're supposed to drink a fine wine.
    malcybood wrote:
    What is Dial on Demand and give an example?
    Explained what a dialer profile
    Enough already, they took this of the ccnp so i plead the fifth.OK! oK! making a static route to point to a dialer interface, happy now? Can i go back to my xbox? or would you like to discuss appletalk?
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$