Finaaaaaaalllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyy

Ok its tiime to pick up my lightsabre and go battle the beast. ( I've woken up after ITIL :P )

Im giving myself from now till september to get ready. icon_sad.gif

Armed with both the 2276 and 2277 MS courses that I will be going on ( 7 days total ), cbtnuggets, and a copy of Virual pc ( for my 2 servers and a client ).

I gonna probably buy examforce questions to back me up too.

Do you think I can kill the beast? or will I need more supplies?

Amy
Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )

Comments

• doom969doom969 Member Posts: 304
    Good luck Amy,
    I'm sure you will do great on the beast !
    I personally liked the ms press self training, but I think the MOc book you'll get from the courses is covering about the same material... So you should be good.

Doom969
    Doom969
    MCITP (EST - EA ) - MCT
    A+ - IBM - SBSS2K3 - CISCO_SMB
    CompTIA : A+
  • 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    slay the beast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

best of luck :D
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • taktsoitaktsoi Member Posts: 224
    slay the beast. OK?

Good luck.

Remember DNS is heavy in the test, RRAS , WSUS, and IPSEC are fair amount of Qs there.

Wish me luck as well.
    mean people SUCK !!! BACK OFF !!!
    The Next Stop is, MCSE 2003 and CCNA.
    Bachelors of Technology in 1 More Year.

-Working on CCENT. Thank you my love <3
  • mrjawbonesmrjawbones Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck Amy! I have to say, I'm not a big fan of Examforce judging from the question quality I've seen from them in the past. I much prefer MeasureUp and Transcender.
    WIP: CEH
    Next: CCNA

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish.
  • amyamandaallenamyamandaallen Member Posts: 316
    Although they may not be 'exact' on alot of things they are a good way to stretch your brain :D

Hopefully there more for the finishing straight and not a main source. Playing with servers until I go numb is hopefully what will carry me through :D
    ok please can someone shed some light on subnetting.

I can now follow the classes, why they get a certain subnet, the 1 and 0, how ANDing forwards it to another gateway if needed. But the thing I dont get is why anyone would want a CUSTOM subnet? Surely the normal subnet numbers cover most if not all networks/hosts scenarios? WHY would you use one? Is it just 'in thoery?'

Sorry if Im missing the pont here?

Many thanks :D
  • JdotQJdotQ Member Posts: 230
    Amy,

In my opinion, you would want a custom subnet in order to reduce the size of a network (ex. for class B '172.16.0.0' network, you would hardly ever need 65,536 addresses on the same segment -- or 16 million addresses for a Class A network icon_eek.gif )

So, creating a custom subnet to tailor to your needs would reduce on network 'chatter' (broadcasts, etc), and making it cleaner and meaner :)

It would also help for management of IP's -- you can create subnets for however you want to manage the network (by building, department, site, etc)

(( just my opinions, hopefully some of the subnet gods around here will correct any of my misinformed statements above :D ))
    OK finished the MOC ip/subnetting course, fairly fun icon_rolleyes.gif

The teacher says about using a router to get traffic accross subnets. This I understand as your home internet router does this of course. However he's on about having say 4 subnets within a building and have the router ( or does he mean intellegent switch? ) do all the ( literally ) routing. Again this I have no problem with the theory, HOWEVER am I expected as a MCSA to know how to cinfigure the router to do the fowarding? or is this where the CCNA? guys do their stuff?

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks.
  • doom969doom969 Member Posts: 304
    Hello Amy,
    There's a difference between your home router and the router your teacher was talking about. Your home router actually does only NAT-routing (network adress translation). So itroutes between private and public adresses. A "real" router (cisco or win2003 using RRAS, etc...) will route between private adresses, and you can control routes, protocols, interfaces, and lots of other stuff. As a MCSA, you'll be expected to have very good knowledge of routes, routing, routing protocols (altough not as deep as an CCNA does) and how RRAS uses them. This is actually a par of the 70-291 exam, one of the 2 networking core exams. CCNA is a cisco cert, and mcsa is a microsoft cert but they have overlap.

Hope that helps a bit,

Good luck on your studies.

Doom969
    Doom969
    MCITP (EST - EA ) - MCT
    A+ - IBM - SBSS2K3 - CISCO_SMB
    CompTIA : A+
  • elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349
    congrats man i'm going schedule mine for the next two weeks
    :D
    stonecold26.jpg
    thanks for the reply.

I kinda figured they were different as you see very limited features on home routers.

:D