Study guide

829829 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
What study aids would be recommended for taking the test? I have the Mike Myers passport book and the accompanying cd, which seem very easy. I easily score 100% on the cd tests, but when I take free online tests I only score around 60% on average.

Thank you in advance

Comments

• Special_k21Special_k21 Member Posts: 155
    Hello!!

I am using the technotes (.pdf file) off this site and I also received a complete tcat houser guide when I registered for my exam. They are both EXCELLENT.
    I too read the Mike Myers All-In-One.
    Just wanted to let you know what im using
  • 829829 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I had downloaded technotes earlier today, but have not had a chance to really look it over. Thank you for your input.
  • SartanSartan Inactive Imported Users Posts: 152
    I've found that online tests make the examinations seem harder than they actually are, in a small hope to convince you to purchase their study materials :) It's all business strategy.
    [not techexams!]
    Network Tech student, actively learning Windows 2000, Linux, Cisco, Cabling & Internet Security.
  • rkholmesrkholmes Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used the technotes from this site and the Meyers "passport" book. I had bought the Sybex book and it was so dry it put me to sleep when I tried to read it.
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mike Meyers Passport and Mike Meyers All-In-One are different books.

The Passport is more of a review style book and I thought it had a lot of holes in the material it covered.

If you are new to Networking, I would recommended a full study guide. Since you already have a Mike Meyers book, I would look into the Sybex or TCats book. You can find TCats book at www.studyexams4less.com.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • bdmstbdmst Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree with the Passport. Use it only as review material, too many holes for a primary study guide.

I would also recommend MS Faster Smarter by Melissa Craft. Very well written, and includes a 20% voucher for the test.

Best advice I can offer is use more than one source for material.
  • 829829 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you all for the input.
    I am not a newb to networking, but nor am I a NW God. I have a good understanding of windows enviroments, but the *nx and apple areas as well as working the diagrams are kicking me in the butt.

I hope to take the test in 2 weeks.
  • kabbikabbi Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sartan wrote:
    I've found that online tests make the examinations seem harder than they actually are, in a small hope to convince you to purchase their study materials :) It's all business strategy.
    [not techexams!]

Is this true? Are there more people with the same experience...
    Cause I keep putting off to take the net+ exam (hopefully this is correct english icon_lol.gif ). And I'm really studying for some time now...
    Are there more people with this problem?

kabbi
  • SartanSartan Inactive Imported Users Posts: 152
    Yeah, definately. I've flipped through a few practice exams, particularly A+, in which it wanted me to define the CMY voltage values per copper fibre in a VGA cable in 1985.

To be honest, I used practically no material and maybe 1 or 2 practice exams off the net (techexams & another one with 10 pages) -- and passed yesterday! woot.

Mike Meyers' book should easily prepare you for this exam.
    Network Tech student, actively learning Windows 2000, Linux, Cisco, Cabling & Internet Security.
  • netcom2000netcom2000 Member Posts: 117
    I am using Sybex at the moment, but have just bought passport and exam cram 2 which are of much help. The Sybex book is realy boring, so the other two are a breath of fresh air.
    Future planned exams are as follows: CCNA, Windows 2003 Server 70-290

"Like the Roman, I see the Tiber foaming with so much blood"

Enoch Powell 1968

"We died in hell, they called it Passchendaele"
  • kabbikabbi Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well thank you for answering......

I am using the following books: faster smarter network+ from Melissa Craft (which I think is a good book but we just have to wait and see if I'll pass icon_wink.gif ), the Network Essentials Plus from microsoft (not as good in my opinion) and another older book from sybex.....
    Ofcourse I also use the internet to search for technotes (especially the ones here on techexams.net are very usefull I think), and practise those online exams. (http://www.techexams.net/co_netplus.shtml, http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2964)
    Most of the time I got a score around 90%, so Sartan I think I should be ready then to take an exam now (finally icon_lol.gif )