Options

70271 study materials help

jzahorajzahora Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Posted: Sat May 19, 2007 2:44 pm
Post subject: 70-270 vs 70-271/272 help

Hey guys,

I'm working on taking my first MCP test but am getting lost in all the clutter. Currently I'm a contracter doing mostly helpdesk and PC Tech work. I'm looking to expand my knowlage base and to have something to put on the old resume. Right now I have the 70-271 MCDST MSPress book.

From what I have been reading online and via the MSPress book most of whats actually on the test and even in the test questions supplied by the Readiness Review Suite cd provided with the MS book isn't actually in my book. Causing me some concern, I'm looking for a book that will have the necessary inforamation to help me pass the test but also have a good layout to actually teach me this stuff rather than teaching me how to just beat a test.

Also from friends and co-workers I have heard mixed reviews about the easiness of the 271 and 272 MCDST vs the 270 MCP test. Which would be better for a first time test taker and which would be more viable in the field.

Just trying to cover all the bases before getting to wrapped up in this. Any help and suggestions would be great.

Thanks

JZahora

Comments

• Options
    dvaughn81dvaughn81 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    In your case, 271 and 272 would be the route to go. 270 is more of a step up from 271. It goes into detail with permissions and installations and goes much further into the administration side of xp. As far as study help, the MS Press book covers too much to remember. The software provided with the book is much harder than the actual exam. If you score at least 60-70 on the practice exams, the real thing should be no problem. Other good study guides include the tech notes here, free cramsessions, and the testout software. Good luck!

http://www.cramsession.com
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    I used the Miscrosoft Press books for both exams. If you follow through the books and work out he end-of-chapter material, you should do well on the exams.

It's been awhile since I took the exams, but I took them both on the same day, back-to-back fashion.

I remember for the 271, you need to be familiar with Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, Remote Desktop, and Remote Assist. Other than that, be prepared for about any feature of the system. I can't remember much about 272, but I work with Office applications all the time now. Just be sure you understand M$ Office use as the M$ Press book presents it.

Although it was required, and paid for by my employer, I feel like it was a good experience and I did learn quite a bit.

Good luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    djabudjabu Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ok i'm bit concerned with the post from the thread starter. why would MS put real exam questions as prac exams. do they want more ppl to pass easily and many to become certified on paper??? i know it's a stupid question but this is one of the reasons why ms certs have lots its value and mcsa and mcp has become a mandantory requirements for 1st and 2nd level helpdesk roles, well atleast in the city where i live!
  • Options
    MR_BENNMR_BENN Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    djabu wrote:
    ok i'm bit concerned with the post from the thread starter. why would MS put real exam questions as prac exams. do they want more ppl to pass easily and many to become certified on paper??? i know it's a stupid question but this is one of the reasons why ms certs have lots its value and mcsa and mcp has become a mandantory requirements for 1st and 2nd level helpdesk roles, well atleast in the city where i live!

The practice exams give you practice questions which are written like the real exam question, but this does not mean that these questions word for word will apear in the real exam. Because if they did, then MS would be admitting they use Brain ****.

Like most training books, each practice exam are similiar to transcender software and give you a feel for what the exam will be like. icon_cool.gif
    As if by magic the shopkeeper appeared.