Options

Re-thinking Sec+

/usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
I've already purchased two books. Tcats full .pdf in a paperback edition as well as All-In-One Security+. I eventually want to get my MCSA and just figured I would use Sec+ as an elective. Wait...it's the MCSE that has the specialization in Security, right? I have my A+ and Net+ and can use those as electives for the MCSA, which leaves me with the three core tests, correct?

Anyway...due to everything I've read, I think I may just read the Sec+ books, but focus mainly on the core MCSA classes and go for my Security+ later on. I don't work in the industry currently and I'm just wondering if the test will be too much to handle at this moment.

As I'm in college and short on cash, I want the easiest and cheapest test first and 70-270 looks like it's the winner. Is there a good, cheap study resource? Also, what are your opinions on my situation? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    I see the Security specialization now. Maybe I'll go for that, as I still need the same 3 core tests. I'm still curious if I should hold off Sec+ for now.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    My advice would be to put it off, for the simpel reason that I think you should be able to know 'what' you are securing. The security+ exam does cover mainly basics, but it is very broad. It requires a good solid background of operating system and networking technology.
  • Options
    I can learn the material for Sec+, but the fact that everyone says the question ambiguity is one main problem is what really concerns me.I don't want to "just pass" either, I want a firm grasp of the material.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I'm not saying it isn't possible to learn it without having a MCSA or anything like that. It will all just make more sense and may give you "a firm grasp of the material." ;)

Don't worry, with the high passing score and the large number of questions there is no thing like "just pass" when it comes to Security+.

And not to sound negative, but the score (partly because of the type of questioning)doesn't say much about having a firm grasp of the "material".
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
    Webmaster wrote:
    And not to sound negative, but the score (partly because of the type of questioning)doesn't say much about having a firm grasp of the "material".
    Hear, hear! icon_wink.gif