Mike Meyers' A+ Certification Passport

TopologyTopology Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Mike Meyers' A+ Certification Passport released a new version lately. Not sure if you guys noticed.

It's Mike Meyers' A+ Certification Passport, THIRD EDITION

http://www.amazon.com/Mike-Meyers-Certification-Passport-Third/dp/0072263083

It's more updated than the SECOND EDITION. More focused to prepare you with the two A+ tests.

Thought I let you guys know.

Comments

• furbyfurby Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I want to go study for the A+ exam is this book good enough to study for the exam or do i need
    another book also?

Im a beginner in the computer industry.

I read about the sybex book but read a lot of negative reviews on amazon about it so im not going to buy that book though.

Thanks.

Michel
    What do you mean with i like the one i saw?

which book do you mean?
    Do you think this is the only book i need to study for the exam?

Im thinking about buying the mike meyers a+ certification passport and another book but dont know which book though.

I thought maybe the indepth book or should i wait for the exam cram version?

I want to use some good test practice exams so the book must contain good test practice exams.

Thanks.
  • Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    Mike Meyers Passport series is a good introduction to the material.
    I don't know about this specific one, but have found them to be pretty good.
    You will definitely need additional materials.
    Passport is somewhat less rigorous than other materials, but if you get blown away by too much information, this is a good place to start. I used his A+ and Security+. That's not enough to pass the tests though.
    Studying rule of thumb:
    2 textbooks
    2 practice tests (in addition to the ones in your study textbooks)
    Technotes from this site
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
    i dont have money to buy additional practice tests they are to expensive.

if the book isnt enough to study and need additional material i might as well follow a course from a study company then because if i have to buy additional material its gonna cost me 300 euros in total and the a+ course from the company is 500 euros so i think i am going to do that then.

I can't order the practice tests in the Netherlands btw only in the united states and with credit card so that sucks.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    furby wrote:
    i dont have money to buy additional practice tests they are to expensive.

if the book isnt enough to study and need additional material i might as well follow a course from a study company then because if i have to buy additional material its gonna cost me 300 euros in total and the a+ course from the company is 500 euros so i think i am going to do that then.

I can't order the practice tests in the Netherlands btw only in the united states and with credit card so that sucks.

It is difficult to put a price limit on an education. The A+ exams are geared toward candidates with experience...so generally by following the objectives one could pass the exam with simple research and without purchasing texts.

I personally love books, and therefore will likely for the remainder of my life invest in books without much hesitation (I've also become more selectives after a few 'bad' purchases early on). but if you are on a strict budget and need the money for your actual exams...a library card and Internet access should be all you need.

If you don't have some old hardware around to set up a lab, maybe friends, family, business may be willing to consider you when upgrading their old equipment for CHEAP (maybe even free) so you can practice.

However, starting out worried about how much the certifications *cost* upfront is setting oneself up for limited advancement longterm. It takes money to make money, and I've not experienced anyone EVER saying that investing in their education was a waste long-term. It may not be the same path you started on, but each experience gains you down the road at unmeasurable value.

No Rush! Stay with it and chip away at it if need be. Purchased used/good condition books, look for bargins, partner with someone where you can each study for different exams and swap materials later.

FWIW I'm not a fan of PRACTICE EXAMS as a means to study. They can help a person see where they need to focus more study time, but I know of too many who use them as a means to memorize questions and answers....this isn't learning the material to understand it...it's merely memorizing.

As you are hopefully finding out or perhaps already know...anything worth having is worth the work. You may even negotiate your training materials with your employer for 'x' amount of time you will committ to them in future employement. There ARE WAYS to accomplish what you want if you really want it.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?