what should i do with my 1900 from the stoneage?

evil_lbtevil_lbt Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi all

i have a 1900 switch lying around, i have no idea what to do with it..any ideas?

Comments

• Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    send it back to the stone age and tell it not to come round these ere parts no more.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • evil_lbtevil_lbt Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    not a bad idea at all.

****..i hate cat os
  • tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    evil_lbt wrote:
    hi all

i have a 1900 switch lying around, i have no idea what to do with it..any ideas?

evil_lbt,

Maybe as a switch connecting several routers to it and observe the OSPF DR/BDR election process? Then disconnect the DR and see the OSPF DR re-election process?
    the thing is i am a ccnp already, don't really need that switch since i got two 3550

i don't want to throw taht thing in the trash either, since that's my first switch..hmm.
    Always a great 10mb DMZ switch...

oh there you go

thanks darby!

never thought of that..god damn!

thanks again
  • jvaxjvax Member Posts: 117
    I'd still rather use a Cisco device than something else ...
    I agree. Plus, designing your home with cisco hardware can be real-world good practice.

I am still deciding whether to get an old PIX or go for a NetScreen for my home network though.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy" -- Benjamin Franklin
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm redesigning my own home network and others and it seems most CCNA cnadidates now want 2900 series or better since these puppies are outdated but they still WORK and work well for what they are.

I'd still rather use a Cisco device than something else and my provider is only 10mb.

So... why not?

I got a lot of gear to figure out. I also got 10mb PIX 501 Firewalls - 2 Of them so what do you think it would be great to plug them into?

Same thing hold true for 2500 series routers.

These guys make great Backbone Routers even at the CCIE level so buying at least three at the lower levels is not quite a waste of cash but really being investment-savvy by my opinion.

And a real smart person, would figure out which routers can be 2500's and invest accordingly.

They are cheap nowadays.

said well enough Darby,

I'd never knew a year ago I installed bunch of refurbished 2500 on an off-shore oil company trunking their vsat, for data only they are more than enough, dont expect them to handle more than they could handle, same thing for 1900.

cheers.
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.