Configuring outgoing SMTP

KhattabKhattab Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I've got a Virtual Machine at work which is not the domain. I have installed win2k3 on it as well as Sharepoint Services 3.0 with SMTP Service installed. The Virtual Machine is in bridged mode and as full internet access and can access pc's on the domain once i authenticate.

I have been asked to see if i can set it up so that i can send outgoing emails. Here's where i've gotten stuck, mainly because my concept of the whole thing is shaky to say the least. I'm kinda confused and not really sure where to go from here.

On the domain, we have a few SMTP Servers but i'm not sure if i am able to use them to send email? I am also not sure if i am able to just use the Virtual Machine as an SMTP Server? Not sure where to even start so if anyone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • KhattabKhattab Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well not exactly.

I dont have exchange installed on the server....

If i want to be able to send outgoing email through SMTP, do i need to have exchange installed? Is there no other way to be able to send outgoing (i'm not too concerned with incoming) mail?

Could i possible point sharepoint to one of the other SMTP servers that we have on the network and that will do all the work?

Thanks!
    Can you explain your scenario a little bit? Like what exactly you need to accomplish? Is it for internal scripts/alerts, pager, or just want to avoid setting up a real mail server and also bypass an ISP mail server?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • KhattabKhattab Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I can see why you'd need more information about the scenario in question.... here it goes.

At my workplace we've got a rather large domain with thousands of clients. I'm currently in the process of setting up some Virtual Machines (which are not on the domain) for the purpose of testing. If i needed to, i could add the Virtual Machines to the domain, but if it is avoidable, that is all the better.

On one of the Virtual Machines i've set up Sharepoint Services. One of the functionalities of Sharepoint i'd like to use, is that it can send outgoing email. I need to be able to make use of this functionality, and i know that within sharepoint there is a Central Administration Page which askes for the SMTP Server address as well as a rcpt address etc.

What is the best way to enable this Sharepoint Services server to send outgoing emails? I'm not sure how to go about it.... I dont have exchange on the Server. I do have internet access and we do have some SMTP Servers on our domain. Any ideas on how i can enable the server to send outgoing emails through Sharepoint?

Hope that makes sense??
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sound like all you need to to ask the exchange administrator if you can relay mail through his exchange server. If so, then you just need to IP address of the exchange server input in Sharepoint.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    blargoe wrote:
    Sound like all you need to to ask the exchange administrator if you can relay mail through his exchange server. If so, then you just need to IP address of the exchange server input in Sharepoint.

Or simply the IP of one of your SMTP servers (sendmail, postfix, whatever) if you don't host your own Exchange. Don't worry about it not being on the domain, as long as you have the mail server configured to allow mail relaying for your Share Point server you're good to go. That will need to be configured by the admin of the mail server, since open relays are a big no-no.
    All things are possible, only believe.